Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@itsgettingreal17 --are you just trying to keep options in play because of the unknown of what might happen next year? Or do you want her to have a bunch of options to choose from?

We’ve pretty much let D mentally commit to her #1 school. But H is a mid-career engineer and the layoffs we experienced a few years ago have just swept the proverbial rug out from under us as far as feeling like we can commit to anything that requires some financial commitment so we are hesitant to let her go all the way and hit “Accept.” Her top choice right now comes in about $10-12K per year more than her second choice. At the moment we can cash fund that and I was just offered a part-time position that will more than fund that so it has been timely and welcomed.

But it’s still a big enough difference to make us think long and hard.

On the other hand…Dang these kids have worked HARD. I want her to be able to be done with this part and just enjoy some senior year and life in general.

A visitor from the Class of 2018 :slight_smile:

@carachel2 I am annoying in real life, too, but mostly about D’s all-consuming, ridiculous, “can’t wait till it’s over because I’m tired of fighting” main extracurricular. Which honestly has taught her a lot and helped shape her into a great kid, but … well, don’t get me started :wink:

@IABooks I don’t think those parents are less than, and I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way. I think they are confident in their choice - and sometimes I think I know too much about the college process. I am not interested in sending my child out of state, and she’s not interested in going more than a couple hours’ drive away. It’s wild to me that these days people know so early. I remember my acceptances not coming in until early spring. Not even sure there were rolling decisions with colleges back in the Stone Age, lol.

Several of the colleges on our list will have sent out acceptances by this time next year. I can’t wait to hopefully have some in hand by Christmas!

@carachel2 We are set financially at her number 1. I just want her to be 100% sure and don’t feel like that can be the case this early in the process, especially as she hasn’t visited most of the other schools on her list. I’m also a worrier and like to stick to the plan, and our plan was finish all apps, she How the merit shakes out, visit the ones that offer the big merit, then decide. I’d probably be the one with nagging doubts if she committed now.

@RightCoaster I hear you on the bragging - big talk of name brand schools. A friend of mine whose son is good friends with my S17 and D16 and I were talking recently. We are both very proud of our kids and think they are pretty terrific, but don’t feel it is necessary to talk about their accomplishments with every other parent out there. A lot of the parents of their schoolmates seem to constantly be wanting to compare and one up each other.

@bearcatfan You’re right. I didn’t mean that way. In all honesty, most of those kids will love their choice and be perfectly successful there. And there’s nothing wrong with either those schools or those families. Apparently my post above shows my inability to convey that I appreciate their good intentions but don’t want to bore them to tears (or sound like I’m bragging) by providing a lot of details of S’s situation. Also, S doesn’t want to do engineering at our in-state engineering school and a lot of his classmates do. Although we respect the program (and it’s a very good one), it’s hard to say that and then say he’s looking elsewhere.

We are done with apps in our house. 3 acceptances at only 3 schools applied (with each being a safety academically and financially pretty much). One scholarship package known. Becomes matter of seeing if either of other 2 can match. Won’t know until the spring. Been about an 18 year journey at this point. Another 3-4 months isn’t a big deal. And actually, I wish senior year had something of a brake on it. Less than two weeks away from halfway point.

@picklesarenice No doubt some threads here should come with warning labels. Some posters here as well. In the end, everyone needs to make the best choices for them and move forward.

@bearcatfan Looks like you already get it, but having ‘acceptances’ at this time is a far cry from having ‘decisions’ unfortunately.

At S’s school, 90%+ of his classmates end up at small elite LACs. So when a parents asks me about S and I tell them he is going into engineering (which most LACs don’t have) the conversation ends pretty quickly. Occasionally, someone will try to push a 3+2 program on me (little do they know I’m the loudest anti 3+2 program voice on CC). :))

hey @STEM2017 remind me again why hate 3+2 programs again. Younger son wants to go engneeering route and I’d like your insight. Thanks. Don’t need a long lecture on it, just bullet points of hate. Thanks.

@TheGFG I’d email the admissions staff and ask to have the award noted in the application. It’s a good thing and it shows continued interest. I don’t see how that could be bad. Good luck!

@RightCoaster “Hate” is a strong word. Rather, I would strongly discourage them. I’ve had fierce debates with posters over their merit. Anyway, here goes…

Pros:
-Two bachelor’s degrees (one in engineering) after five years
-Three years at a liberal arts college

Cons:
-You must apply and get accepted to your (+2) engineering program after sophomore year - there are no guarantees
-Paying for five years of college, with VERY LITTLE chance of merit aid at your engineering school
-Fewer than 25% of students who start actually follow through to completion (I think the figure is closer to 10%)
-Kids don’t want to leave their beloved college for the best year (senior) of their experience.
-Getting dropped into an engineering programs with kids who have had 2 or 3 years of engineering classes.

A really motivated student could make it work, but they have to be REALLY REALLY motivated.

Bottom line: If you think you want engineering, go to a school that has engineering. Don’t hope that someday you’ll magically pick it up. Most engineers on this forum agree that if you are unsure if you want engineering, you probably won’t succeed.

Love to hear other opinions.

Agreed with @STEM2017, D may do a minor on public policy, but will not do 3+2—she looked at Emory/GA Tech combination, why waste time in graduating? You can always get a master degree later. In our limited school visit, she has been receiving the same advice.

@TheGFG , D didn’t update the schools when she won school level Wendy Heisman. But she did with some schools when she got published on NYT. It is up to your student and your schools.

@RightCoaster In addition to what @STEM2017 posted, the best way to get job offers at graduation is to coop. Add another 12 months to your UG and you are looking at 6 yrs for a 4 yr degree.

@RightCoaster There is ONE combo program that I would advocate, although its probably brutally difficult. The Haverford/Penn 4+1 program is very unique. Three years at Haverford, one year mixed (they are near to each other so you can spend your senior year at Haverford), and one year at Penn. When you are done you have a bachelor’s from Haverford in science and a MASTER’s in engineering from Penn.

But again, you won’t get any financial aid from Penn - they make that very clear.

^^^^ Got it!!! Just apply to engineering schools and avoid pain and suffering of 3/2. Made a mental note, I’m good!! Thanks all!

Ok, son17 is 2 for 2 on safeties. Got admitted to UNH. I just told him. He sad " fine, I really want to hear from my top ones though". Not much excitement, but I told him it was a good sign. I think next week some decisions should be out for 2 strong contenders. That’s when they whole thing just gets crazy. We are trying to not think about college stuff until then.

Congrats to your S @RightCoaster !!!

@RightCoaster Congratulations on UNH acceptance!!

@RightCoaster, it sounds like @STEM2017 already talked you out of 3+2, but I’ll just add that I agree with him for all the same reasons.

There are schools of every type that offer engineering along with many other majors in case he changes his mind. If he already has other majors he likes, just make sure the school offers as many as possible. And congrats on the safeties - my D got more jazzed about hers as time went on, so there’s hope for you.

I also agree with @Mom2aphysicsgeek that co-op is great. Not all D’s schools offer it, but it definitely made a difference in how much she liked a school.

One program quite a few of D’s schools offer in engineering is a 4+1 in which the student gets a bachelor’s and master’s degree in five years. H (an engineer) thinks this is a great idea, but D is undecided. It’s something we’ll look into further once decisions narrow the field.

@snoozn thanks for the comments. I have seen the 4 +1 combo and that seems to make more sense and probably a better idea for my younger son. We are just starting to think about stuff for him, no rush yet. But he is focused on engineering, so that’s good. I like co-ops too!