Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Nice @HappyGoLucky2017 !!!

Congratulations @STEM2017 @CaucAsianDad @VickiSoCal @HappyGoLucky2017 <:-P <:-P <:-P

@HappyGoLucky2017 Congratulations!! Your son is done!!

congratulations @HappyGoLucky2017! Hope you continue to hang around this thread to cheer the rest of us on. I bet your DSL is over the moon!

It has been a rough week for D. Still fighting with GC about schedule for next semester since she is struggling with Calc BC, and that has carried over to other classes now tooā€¦she just doesnā€™t have enough hours in the day. New HS swim coach is nice but tough! D is exhausted every day. On top of all that (I think) the uncertainty and fear of next year and admissions is subconsciously creeping into her social life and sheā€™s creating stress with her friends and BF without even realizing why. BF talks and tears 4 nights in a row now :frowning:

AND to top it all off we just were notified one of her friends* from school died of a heroin overdose last night. Middle class kid from a decent (not perfect but who is?) working class family. (i sort of wish I could post his picture - just a normal looking cute kid, funny, polite, etc) Heartbreaking. Herion use is an epidemic hereā€¦please please talk to your kids and donā€™t assume they are immune to it.

I am seriously scared of the 2 decisions that are due next week. I think they both are reach-y schools that are not need blind that I think could hurt her chances. I hope she is in a better place by then if they are rejections.

She still has 2 unfinished ones plus one honors college appā€¦but I have completely backed off on them. They arenā€™t due until Jan and right now its worth letting her wait until the very last minute.

*they were very close in middle school and 9th gradeā€¦have drifted apart since then but still talked casually at school each day

@HappyGoLucky2017 congrats! Can you tell us where? :slight_smile:

Congrats, @HappyGoLucky2017! Is this our threadā€™s first ED success?!

ETA: Just read above ā€“ so sorry, @stlarenas, re friend and your Dā€™s stress.

Congrats on all the acceptances today!!! So excited for everyoneā€™s kids (and parents too)!

@HappyGoLucky2017 party in your house! You are done!!! Congratulations <:-P <:-P

@stlarenas so sorry to hear this news.

@stlarenas that is awful.

@kt1969 Cornell COE. So grateful.

Congrats!!! @HappyGoLucky2017

You need to come chat winter clothes with us on the FB page. :slight_smile:

Congrats @HappyGoLucky2017 !!!

(sorry to follow your happy news with such a downer post)

Congrats on all the acceptances today!

Huge congrats to your DS @happygolucky ā€“ truly wonderful news! My DS is applying RD - had a great visit & we tend to have 10-15 or so students who go get in each year. What does he want to take in engineering?

@stlarenas ā€“ I feel badly for what your DD is going through. Backing off makes a lot of sense - we had some anxiety here last weekend - lots of worrying about the future, college life etc. it is a time of many missed emotions. Very sorry for the loss of the student DD knew and was friends with - it is totally an epidemic. Local volunteers were just trained to administer the special drug that helps in case of an overdose.

Congratulations to all. Wow!

@stlarenas Hearing stories like that breaks my heart. Iā€™m so sorry.

@stlarenas I am sorry your daughter is going through such rough times right now with school and her support system.
The heroin epidemic is so frightening and heartbreaking.

@stlarenas so so sorry to hear about your daughter and all thatā€™s going on. My daughter really struggled with AP Physics last year and had such a hard year because of it. To have the college stress and swim coach and now the news about her friend all at once with the class stress, itā€™s really a lot. Try to take good care of her and yourself - I am sure you are. Hoping things get better soon!

@HappyGoLucky2017 congrats on Cornell - awesome school and you and he must be so happy to have the answer too!

Congrats @HappyGoLucky2017 my D just told me that her GBF/Prom Date got in to Cornell as well.