Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

D17 just got her first acceptance (her safety, but still): The New College of Florida; it’s a small public honors college in Sarasota, FL. At least we know she’s going somewhere! They sent nice swag, too – a confetti-filled package with lots of info, a T-shirt and sunglasses.

Add me to the Second-Guessers Club on D17’s choice of SCEA school (and of course, she managed to choose the one that is the last to inform – Dec. 15th at 5pm). I also consider myself a charter member of the ALWAC – April’s-a-Long-Way-Away-Club.

Congrats @LoveTheBard ! Great feeling.

Oh that’s great @LoveTheBard - you’ve jumped ship, I’m still on it for at least a week! Congrats!!

I’m so sorry to hear that @BigPapiofthree . Even though rationally you know things will work out fine, it always hurts to get negative news (especially about your child). Try to do your best to keep it in perspective.

How is your son taking it?

Also, while it’s not much consolation, remember that there are lots of other people who have received disappointing news as well, even though the vast majority of posts here are positive.

@thshadow, Thanks so much for support. Son is away on school trip. We have not seen him. A [hone call and couple of texts. He is busy, so that is good. He had a few friends get in, so that is a bit of a bummer for him. He is resilient, so all will be good…

@BigPapiofthree - so sorry about the deferral. While I understand wanting a definite decision, I can see the benefit to deferral as opposed to outright rejection. It give’s your kiddo a chance to reconfirm his interest and strengthen his application. Besides, your S might figure out that he prefers one of the other schools he will apply to and may ultimately feel like he dodged a bullet not getting in during the ED round.

Don’t sweat it @BigPapiofthree your son will do great, no matter where he ends up. He’s obviously a bright and talented kid if he even applied there, and I’m certain he’ll find a school he really likes and will succeed.

@LoveTheBard , congrats on the firsties! Now the tortuous wait begins.

Next Friday seems like D-day in our house. We have a few EA results coming in. After that it’s going to be s long slog with the RD schools on the list, 4 of those remaining. They didn’t offer EA, only ED/RD. I hate that.

Regarding thank you’s to LOR- $20 to Dunkin Donuts.

I wish these schools would at least announce WHEN the EA, ED, REA, SCEA, etc decisions will be coming out. It’s so frustrating to see other schools release theirs and we have 3 with no clue when they are coming out. Lots of speculation - last year it was… I heard… My mom knows so-and-so who said… UGH! Pick a date and let these kids know at least when it will be.

Congrats @LoveTheBard what a relief to have something in the bag!!! We also hear about the SCEA on 12/15. Seems like it’s a long time away

We did $25 amazon gift cards for thank you’s

@LoveTheBard --to save myself time, I could just copy and past your post # 23080. (How do we have 23K posts???)

I would never have required my son to apply ED to my school, but even he is starting to wonder after hearing his friends’ outcomes with Penn & Stanford last night.

Legacy ‘preference’ disappears in the RD round, and they will know that he did not apply ED, so if protecting yield, even more reason to reject than a non-legacy applicant.

deferred CalTech.

4 more EAs to follow in the next few days. Chin up.

Deferred CalTech as well…son completely unfazed…the next couple are the ones that will hurt with a no, or anything but a yes… :-@

@BigPapiofthree

UT Austin is also pretty enviable, especially for a business major.

@BigPapiofthree sorry about the deferral. I can imagine that is a mixed blessing, better than a denial but definitely strings one along and lengthens the process.

@vandyeyes sorry about the deferral but that’s great that your S is unfazed!

@chillkitty sorry about the deferral as well

@LoveTheBard New College looks lovely, a very nice safety to have I think. Congrats!

re: thank you’s. S isn’t big on the idea of a gift card. He is thinking of a coffee cup from wherever he decides to attend. Of course if it’s the in state safety that’s not terribly interesting so that may not be it.

@cleoforshort S17’s best friend was accepted to Caltech EA today. He is definitely not like what is being written on the threads. He is not living and breathing science and technology. His ECs are cross-country, track, works a part-time job (doesn’t have to parents have him work to learn responsibility/ value of money), only started participating in science olympiad last year. Hasn’t quite figured out what he will major in but has applied to engineering and comp sci programs at various colleges. Kid couldn’t be more down to earth if he tried. You have to ignore some of the threads. This is by far the more easy going thread by far.

Good luck to those waiting on Rose Hulman.

@payn4ward Loved the hug! Really needed it today. I’m feeling a bit sad with S17 and his friends hanging around more (senioritis has set in) I’m going to miss the laughter and their funny stories.

@AngelaD We are going with gift cards (visa or AMEX) in the amount of $25. We only have 4 to get. For the professor, I would go with sending something that would get delivered. Something small as a gesture of gratitude but something that doesn’t have a ridiculous delivery fee. Mini-basket with a mug, chocolates and cocoa? or something simple from a high school kid. Otherwise, I think an online Starbucks gift card that is emailed to him. You enter a code and he can either print out the gift card of if he is a starbucks drinker and has a starbucks card, he can add it to his existing card.

No weekend off from apps here. Tomorrow is on our schedule to complete 1 more app. Two EA decisions coming out this week and I fear he won’t be in the mood to do apps next weekend so I’m pushing to stick to the schedule. He’s super relaxed because his school is on a trimester schedule so his mid-year transcript reflects his T1 grades. My husband is freaking out over this relaxed mode senior but I told him the law of averages is on our side. He’d have to be sleeping in class for the next 5 months for him to get anything lower than an A with what he “banked” in T1 grades. Now if I can only get him to finalize the list. I still don’t know if there are 2 or 4 left. :-?

Congrats to all those getting good news!

Support to all those getting redirects and delays; good news is still coming your way!

D’17 got some good news today too. She was accepted into Saint Louis University’s five-year Master of Occupational Program with a 20K per year (4 years) Vice-President’s scholarship. She has also applied for the President’s Full Tuition award. She won’t hear about that for another month or so.

Onward and upward…

Nice @Dave_N !

Bummer for you all that got deferred! Good things await though!!

Son17 is done with all his apps, everything has been submitted. He is really happy to have some downtime right now, aside from normal school work. He does have some essays to write for his colleges though. One school invited him to put in an app for their Honor’s College Program, and he might need to write an essay for a scholarship opportunity at another school. He doesn’t want to write that unless he’s accepted, and he’ll find out next Friday.
For the Honors College, he thinks it might be a good opportunity for him, he’s just nervous he might not get selected. I told him he would have no chance if he didn’t try, and that just because he is selected doesn’t mean he has to do it. He could always say no if it wasn’t something he wanted to pursue.

Fingers crossed for everyone next week!