Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

DD visited most of the schools she applied to, but she hasn’t visited Tulane which is the only one so far where she has an acceptance. Depending on outcome of scholarship/financial aid, and the acceptances to other schools, we may visit in March/April.

D visited all the schools that she applied to. We hear from Elon next week. Getting real nervous . She says that she would pick Elon over IU, but both are good. AFter that we should hear from CofC before the end of hte month, and then its waiting time for all the reach schools.

She finished her semester here (took all classes at the CC). She got a C in College Algebra, but we expected that. now to write to all the admissions people explaining how she challenged herself with a subject that she is very weak in, and always has been. All other classes will be A’s or high B’s. These classes do weight like they are honors.
Meanwhile S19 got his PSAT scores back today and did very well. Hes the kid that will do very well on the ACt/SAT, but doesnt try as hard as he should and gets a few B’s. He also doesnt have much of EC’s. Its sometimes very hard to watch D have to work at everything and overcome a LD to get to where she is, and S just naturally gets it. But D has great life skills and S does not.

Congrats to everyone that got in. and to those that got deferred or rejected, the next one will be the one.

Accepted but not (yet) visited:
@RightCoaster DD was accepted to SUNY Buffalo Honors, the in-state financial safety. It’s a good school, and a really nice campus. I’ve been there but she hasn’t. New York has a full-tuition scholarship program at SUNY schools for STEM majors if the students are in the top 10% of their graduating class. There’s also a requirement they work for a period of time in NY after graduation, or the scholarship gets converted to a loan.

The chicken wings at Duff’s just off campus alone are worth the visit. She’ll visit soon, it just hasn’t made it to the top of the to-do list yet. She’s visited all other schools where she’s applied or plans to apply.

@soxmom Sorry about the deferral. hugs

@RightCoaster Of D’s 13 acceptances, she has visited 3. She will only visit others that show her the big scholarship.

@RightCoaster She’s accepted at two and has visited both, one this summer and one this weekend. Both are admissions safeties, as are her other schools. We’re hunting the Big MACs!

@itsgettingreal17, Wow, that is fantastic. What a great program. Are you instate? We would love to get that call. S had interview, wondering of they are done with notifications, or if they started with Instate first? Will your D attend?

@itsgettingreal17 congrats! Good day at your house. @chillkitty congrats on ND! @NoVADad99 congrats on Tulane!

@soxmom hugs! You are definitely not alone in the deferral category but I know that doesn’t really help and I am truly sorry for a holiday break that now has a lot of apps. Second guessing is no fun.

@RightCoaster he’s been accepted to two and has only visited one. Visit will depend on total package as well as other acceptances that may be in the area to combine travel.

@Fishnlines29 yeah, I’m not knocking community colleges because I’ve attended at least 3 and have an associate’s degree from 1, but they are hard to attend and even harder to graduate from. I wouldn’t wish community college on my worst enemy.

D18 ended up having a good day after all, though, we sat down and made a Cappex account, and she got to play with the numbers and see what happens if she applied with the grades she has today (all B’s this semester so far) and if she pulled them up to A’s for this year. The results were pretty staggering for her-solid in at UCF (her first choice) if she got A’s, iffy if she kept her B’s with no other scores or results.

Then she added a 30 act score and put her grades back to b and was stunned when the results went back to iffy. Soooo, yeah, lightbulb moment for her and I am really hoping that she gets it now that she really has to work and do homework for this year and next if she wants to get where she wants to go. She obsessed over those scattergrams for an hour. It’s good that she finally gets it that it’s not Mom making these rules about colleges, it’s the colleges!

D17 is happy-it’s looking like she’ll have straight A’s for this semester, and her stuff is all in. Midterms are this week and she’s focusing on those rather than college acceptances for now.

@soxmom hugs and good vibes for getting off the deferral list.

Congrats to all the continuing acceptances! It’s so exciting!

@RightCoaster S has 7 acceptances in hand but has visited only 4 of them, with one more visit planned for January. And another reach app at an 8th school he hasn’t visited either.

Extra hugs to @soxmom. Dont lose all hope

Congrats @NoVADad99 to Tulane!

Congrats @chillkitty to Norte Dame

D only applied to 3 schools and so far accepted to Tulane where she hasn’t visited. If she doesn’t get into her ED school this week, we will go visit sometime in the spring. And she will probably throw a few more apps out there.

We have not visited Tulane. Will probably attend the Top Scholars Weekend in March. Also accepted to UA, which he did visit when his older brother attended orientation a few years ago. Will probably attend the Honors College tour and get a visit with the college of engineering.

Hang in there @BigPapiofthree , @thermom - good news is on its way…

@rightcoaster, @greeny8, @CA1543 and many others- Decision week is here!

GREAT DAY for families of @snoozn, @itsgettingreal, @NoVADad99 , @chillkitty =D> =D> =D>

Thank you @dfbdfb for education on self plagiarism. Definitely will be a topic of conversation at the dinner table. Didn’t realize it was a thing. Not having to complete an assignment while others do feels wrong, but not the idea that you couldn’t use your own work, in any form, would be considered plagiarism. Perhaps to some, receiving an assignment that could be fill with previously completed work would simply be serendipity? :wink:

@STEM2017 My heart goes out to you. Embracing life and all its goodness, every moment is also a gift, if you know what I mean. :x

@NoVADad99 Do you know which weekend that is? My DD said she got the invitation for that but she keeps forgetting to give me the dates.

OK, well we have another minor thing to celebrate, so what the heck. D got the Red Cedar scholarship from MSU today. It should normally be expected just by virtue of being a legacy. Her grandmother ‘attended’ for 3 semesters, but never graduated, so we weren’t sure D17 would qualify. She did, so that’s worth another $3K/yr in addition to what they’ve already awarded. Far more than her grandmother ever spent there. :smiley:

@MSHopeful It’s March 5-6 or 19-20.

Notre Dame REA came out today and S17 was declined. It was one of two reach schools he applied to. He is a little bummed but has 5 great accepts under his belt!

DW on the other hand is really bummed. She really thought he would get in. Oh well, nothing a glass of wine can’t smooth over!

@MACncheez S17 also got notification of the Red Cedar at MSU (note my user name :slight_smile: ) and an $8k per year University Scholars award, plus a 1-time $3-5k Study Abroad scholarship. If he can get some local scholarships & stuff through my work, he’s getting close to instate SUNY COA…

All this MSU love @MACncheez and @MSU88CHEng ! I’m an alum of sorts–my dad did his post-doc there when I was four :))

Sorry @jpc763 :frowning:

Wow, that took a while to catch up! Congrats on the many acceptances and scholarships!

And, hugs on denials :frowning:

Those planning to visit Tulane should seriously consider Mardi Gras season–Laissez les bons temps rouler!