Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Best wishes to your son @ohmyiamtired !My D is a finalist for another full-ride (interviews this past weekend). She will hear a decision this weekend. How long until your son learns the result?

@WhereIsMyKindle Oh my- you must be so anxious waiting! Is it something that your daughter really wants? I send you all of my positive energy. I really hope she gets it!

My son has been told that he will know either way within a week. But we have heard that they sometimes make calls the same evening. So really not sure what to expect. I will be thoroughly floored if it actually happens and will not at all be surprised and am planning for it not to happen. I just really want him to be able to move on and get some applications submitted before the holidays if it doesnā€™t pan out.

I wish my kid had taken my suggestion of applying to 54 schools, like @itsgettingreal17ā€™s kid did. =)) Iā€™m so bored waiting for decisions. I need 1 per day. That would keep my interest. Iā€™d even like to get a request for proof of citizenship at this point. Anything! What a snooze-festā€¦

Wow ā€“ was away for a few days and whew! Just caught up. Congratulations on all the happy news!

And, for those with deferrals/rejections, especially ED ones ā€¦ hang in there! My older one had an ED rejection from a reach school a few years back. It turned out to be the best thing for her. DH and I never thought that school was the exact right fit for her. (The particular program she was interested in WAS a great fit, but we donā€™t believe the college milieu itself would have been the right one.) Yes, that rejection was tough, but she bounced up and completed SEVERAL more applications over winter break (she had made good progress on many essays over the fall, but not gonna lie and say it wasnā€™t a bit of a pain over the holidays at grandmaā€™s house). Anyway, she submitted all by year-end, and shot for an even REACHIER school at that point for ED2. That school had actually been her overall number one choice all along, but she didnā€™t think she had much of a chance there, so she had applied ED at the other place (she honestly felt she wouldā€™ve been very happy there as well, so we let her make the decision and supported that). Well, guess what ā€“ that shot worked! She got in and has been very happy there.

So, hugs to you all in that kind of position, but sometimes it works out for the best :slight_smile: Admissions season is long, and a lot can happen over the next few months. Wishing you all luck!

P.S. Someone might have to throw this story right back in my face after decisions roll in here soonā€¦

Dā€™s friend just told me that Brownā€™s ED decision comes out tomorrow on the portal.

@MACncheez You are becoming a college admission adrenalin junky! You will have to detox once all the admission cycle is over!!

@MACncheez - Jump on the Harvard thread in 20 minutes. That should provide a lot of drama for your afternoon!

@MACncheez Well D has heard from most of her schools already, and Iā€™m bored too. Iā€™m making her apply to some more. :))

All the bored parents, please jump to Harvard thread and cheer the kids (and parents) :slight_smile:

Rose-Hulman! Accepted!

A lumpy, bumpy envelope arrived in the mail earlier today. Iā€™m at work, but Iā€™ve been waiting for him to get home to open it (but I had a feeling what it was). Very cool.

@srk2017 - Good luck with Harvard!!!

@STEM2017 - Congrats!

@STEM2017 Congrats!!! With all those great options, your son will need to spin the wheel to decide. :slight_smile:

@STEM2017 Congratulations!

congrats @STEM2017 ā€“ great news!! <:-P

QOTD - volunteer hours Our school doesnā€™t require volunteer hours beyond what some of the ECā€™s require (NHS, Robotics team). However, D has over 300 due to being involved in so many things. Plus, she occasionally gets ā€œvoluntoldā€ to help at some of my work events (Parks & Rec events).

Congrats to all of those with acceptance letters and/or scholarships.
Good luck to all those still working on applications and/or scholarships.
And hugs to all those with deferrals/rejections.
Iā€™m a firm believer in that decisions are meant to be - although it is really hard to accept at the time. But in the end, you end up where you are supposed to be.

QOTD: No volunteer hour requirement at Sā€™s school as a graduation requirement.

QOTD2: S will be done with his semester so no homework over break. Just the remaining apps he will need to finish.

These poor Harvard kids are losing it.

@STEM2017 Yep!

Congrats @STEM2017 !!

My impression was that you applied somewhat on a whim - no essay, no fee. Is your son actually interested in going there?

Or I guess itā€™s all about the big MAC?