Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@itsgettingreal17 and @vandyeyes How were you notified about Honors at tOSU? S hasn’t heard anything. :frowning: It was a long shot for him, but you never know. He wrote a pretty strong essay.

@STEM2017 …notified in “congratulations letter” received in an email that was sent around 11pm last night.

@STEM2017 It was past 10 last night for D (central time). Sounds like a batch may have gone out at once.

Congrats to both of you @vandyeyes and @itsgettingreal17 !!!

after D got accepted to Elon she got back her latest ACT and the scores had gone up. Since she did not get any merit aid, should we go back and ask to be reconsidered? Also when asking about money / calling the financial aid offices of these schools, is this something the parents can do, or is it something that child (well not really a child anymore) should be doing?

congrats to all who heard good news yesterday.

@sdl0625 Yes you should contact them with the new ACT score - it might make a difference.

And congrats on the Elon acceptance if I didn’t say it before. I’ve heard the Core Curriculum is really great.

@sdl0625 I agree with @Dolemite. You should definitely contact the school with the higher score. I don’t know what algorithm Elon uses but as an example, at the University of Alabama, going from a 28 to a 29 gets you an additional $36,000. From a 29 to a 30, an additional $19,904. And from a 31 to a 32, an additional $35,896.

Might as well try.

Congrats to those getting good news - very happy for you! Today is the last day of school - finally before winter break. But DS got a rough AP English assignment and just learned he has his Physics C midterm a few days after he gets back. 2 more apps to complete although 1 is getting close thankfully. I know some of you are done with apps and some already committed to schools - must feel so good! Good luck to everyone working on apps over the break - hope the words flow smoothly!

Congrats on the admits @vandyeyes & @itsgettingreal17 !!

@STEM2017 - hope your DS gets that Congrats email soon too!

@jmek15 bummer!! Tell son to keep head up, it’s going to work out.

Rest of you: wow, more awesome scholarship news!

SO much going on here!! Congrats on all of the acceptances and hugs to those who were not accepted or were deferred. Hopefully, you’ll be able to get any further applications in and enjoy and relax a bit during the winter break!

Yesterday’s QOTD: What’s left? ED deposit made and other applications were withdrawn. Bought S a couple of shirts and sweatshirts for Christmas since he was superstitious and didn’t want to buy anything during our visit last summer…wanted to wait to see if he was accepted. Penn had a 25% off online sale on merchandise, so that was nice! Working on a few small community scholarship applications and making sure the senioritis doesn’t get too bad…it is going to be hard. The focus now is getting AP scores In Calc and Econ that are high enough to be accepted by his university.

@sdl0625 I think it’s appropriate for a parent that type of call. Elon is not a Big MAC school, but I think you may be eligible for up to $6K (according to my old spreadsheet). They tend to keep their tuition low rather than do the Fire Sale thing. Call them, can’t hurt. Great school.

Congrats on all of the new acceptances and scholarship offers… This is such a group of high achiving DCs!!!
We will be waiting for results all the way till April…

@sdl0625 I also recommend contacting them with the new ACT score. Looking at acceptance threads here on CC, it seems to me like many schools are very sensitive to fine gradations in test scores/GPA with respect to how much merit gets awarded.

@MACncheez

My son looks good in Orange, at least I think so. And at least one of his top choices the school colors are Orange & Black.

QOTD: is your kid joining message groups (ie GroupMe) for accepted students at the schools they’ve been accepted to?

In D17’s case, no, because she’s not “ready” to socialize yet. She also doesn’t want to be swayed one way or another before she has a good handle on what the costs and core curriculum is going to be for each school.

The only colors D17 doesn’t look good in are pastels, and I don’t see a lot of those for school colors, so I think she’s safe :D. D18, on the other hand, isn’t a fan of wearing primary colors, so she may be doomed school-spirit-wise.

@curiositycat333 Hope you didn’t take my post as an affront to your S’s choice. Heck, I’m MACncheez! I AM orange!

QOTD My kid barely socializes with me. No.

Pssssttt, @STEM2017. Come to the dark side…

QOTD: IMO that’s something you (maybe) join after you pick your school. It seems like it’s a way to start making friends with your classmates before you get there. I’m not sure if it’s a way to help you decide on a school…