Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

HoHoHope you check those Spam folders!

Hope everyone is having a merry Xmas and happy Chanukah. Been away traveling and trying to catch up.

Congrats to all the new acceptances, money and more hugs for anyone not pleased with some outcomes for far. Itā€™s a long way until April.

Catching upā€¦

whats left not much. We put a deposit down and now we sit back and wait until April for anything else. Honestly itā€™s so nice to be done esp. after going through this process last year and waiting for decisions till April 1st.

who is left D17 is my 2nd and last. After seeing how much this process is changing and getting more and more difficult, kinda glad to wipe my hands and be done. But I will miss having so much to think about and focus on. Not looking forward to an empty nest.

Frohe Weinachten aus Deutschland! (Merry Christmas from Germany!) And of course happy various other holidays or hope youā€™re enjoying a great Sunday! We are having a truly magical vacation. Plus I didnā€™t have to cook todayā€¦

Looking at the Gonzaga thread, I believe D may have some important mail waiting for her. I havenā€™t said anything since their official decision deadline is Jan 15. So I get to be nervous alone.

Whoā€™s left?
S18 who has zero interest in looking at the well-researched college list I put together based on the areas he says heā€™s interested in. The great/terrible thing is that he might be spending his HS senior year in Germany through the Congress Bundestag. While he wonā€™t lift a finger regarding college (not even test prep), he has done every bit of work on the CB app himself. I think he has a good chance of being accepted (high GPA, AP German 3, glowing teacher LoRā€™s, very outgoing, great in interviews). He would get diplomas from both his US and German HSā€™s.

Itā€™s an amazing opportunity, but Iā€™m not prepared to be an empty nester! Weā€™ll see what happens.

End of the day here. This trip is exhausting! Today we climbed to the top of the tallest church in the world (Ulm Minster). #:-S

I wasnā€™t planning on being online today but Santa brought me a spiffy, smoking fast laptop, so I had to take it for a spin :D.

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable day today-I need to walk off some of the Christmas dinner, but I canā€™t stop playing with the laptop (the screen is SO pretty)

I got my first smart phone for Christmas! Now I donā€™t have to be the only one looking up at the sky waiting for the commuter bus. I donā€™t want to be glued to it, but I felt so behind technologically sometimes. So far Iā€™m so slow navigating the phone and learning all the things I can do with it that my DD looks at me like Iā€™m a hopeless student. :stuck_out_tongue:

Havenā€™t been here in forever but checking in. DS17 was accepted EA at Washington University in St. Louis and got a nice financial offer (leaving us to pay about $15,000/year). We expect him to be NMF, so we know he could get cheaper at some other schools, but none this good, and this was his top choice so we are all very happy. He also will play football there, which as a D3 school will be nowhere near as bigtime as even his high school was, but I think it will help provide some structure and support, so another good thing.

Congratulations, @candyandnuts. We visited WashU twice (once with each kid) and loved it each time. Their dorms and food are top rated amongst private U.

Congratulations to all on the recent acceptances and continued good news of scholarships!

QOTD: We are one and done here. We are not exactly sure what we will do when S17 is away at college but we are planning on traveling every weekend until I can begin to adjust to not having S17 home. I donā€™t even want to think about it.

Congrats @candyandnuts @DaveN and @eandesmom !

Took the Holiday off from social media. Hope everyone enjoyed some time with their families. Congrats on the new acceptances and merit news! S17 has received a presidential scholarship and a grant from School of mines that brings it into the running with our state flagship.

Thatā€™s a wrap. Last app for D17 submitted today. I have a D20 so I have started to think at a high level about her search. It will be different, but should be a fun one too.

DS17 submitted his last 4 applications yesterday (and 2 schools already downloaded and shows as complete). DS probably submitted highest number of apps from this group :slight_smile:

Congrats Srk2017 ā€“ well sort of - thatā€™s a lot ā€“ hope all works out well!! DS has done 13 - but 1 more to go and a phone interview - tomorrow. Canā€™t wait for this part to be over!

Congrats to those getting good news!

QOTD - Prizes for most and fewest applications submitted:

19 college apps plus 4 UCs. (Weā€™re not going to count the supplementals for many of those schools, but they exist).
6 institutional merit named scholarship apps requiring separate essays (not merit awards given as part of admission and/or based on stats)
5 outside scholarship apps (so far) requiring full extensive applications (not enter-by-giving-us-your-email lottery types)

Total 30 apps

^^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Hi all - I have a financial aid question if you donā€™t mindā€¦

I have read that FAFSA must be filed every year beginning with the first year of college in order to be eligible for financial aid in any subsequent year. (not sure if this is true or not)

My question is, what about the CSS Profile? Based on the results of our FAFSA filing, we were not intending to submit CSS Profile or apply for financial aid at the private schools, since we are unlikely to receive any aid. But next year, there will be an additional kid in college, and other circumstances may change. Could we submit CSS profile and apply for financial aid in the second year of college even if we didnā€™t apply for the first year?

Many thanks for your help!

QOTD 3 apps submitted. Got into her ED so we are done! (Iā€™m going for the least amount prize!) :smiley:

@LoveTheBard - You are the clear winner :))

Nah @srk2017 , I think @itsgettingreal17 has us both beat!

(And, if memory serves, your DS did one or both of the major scholarship apps that my DD did.)

Besides, this is one of those contests where being a winner is not necessarily a good thingā€¦ :D/ (Unless of course, any or all of the apps prove fruitful. That Coolidge woulda come in handy right about now!). :wink:

Ha! Iā€™ll play:

17 college admissions applications
14 separate lottery scholarship applications
7 seperate honors college/special program applications

Total: 38 applications

A manageable number of outside scholarship applications to go.