Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Wow - lots of good tidings on the forum! Fabulous news on your daughter’s competition @Mom2aphysicsgeek! And congrats to your gymnasts: @2muchquan & @TimEnchanter and to @caroldanvers son!

Thanks everyone for the road trip suggestion. It sounds as if Vandy is coming off the list as DS doesn’t think their economic department offers what he wants. We won’t be stopping at Duke, Furman, Elon or any of the other fine southern schools because DS is not open to attending school in the south at this point. He’s looking at Tulane to humor me. U of SC is only on the list to visit his sister. Georgetown is currently the only school on the trip he’s interesting in touring.

We did a quick trip to Spokane yesterday to tour Gonzaga. There’s been some positive changes, they’ve opened a new cafeteria and have a nice open area with Einstein’s Bagels, Starbucks, US Bank and a smoothie place. A few new dorms are open and a performing arts center will be completed in a year.

DS liked it well enough, but was disappointed that he wasn’t able to talk with any of the professors in the economics department. @eandesmom We skipped the trip to UW as he said he doesn’t want to go to school in Seattle. Fine with me. I’d rather not pay OOS tuition. For those interested in UW, you should know that their applications rose 18% this year and kids who otherwise would be readily admitted have been put on the waitlist :(.

@Agentninetynine I wish we could eliminate schools from the list that readily.

LOL @2muchquan! We’ve been through this before with our DD and much to my surprise some of what we’ve discussed has sunk in with DS. Plus, he’s fairly aware of what he doesn’t want to study. I’m the one who is trying to widen his horizons.

as for the UW, last year they offered about 1000 more spots than in previous years (though the percentage stayed the same, apps were up) and I think that prompted the spike in applications as it did create a bit of false hope for some. OOS kids compete with OOS (1/3 of spots offered) and instate with instate (2/3).

We know a lot of kids at Gonzaga that are quite happy there.

Regarding UW, while not scientific, it seems this year admission was a little tougher. our California high school has many applicants, and usually gets a lot in. Yesterday results came out. Seems like the standards are a bit higher than years past. Less got in this year. Just anecdotal…

That is consistent with what I am hearing for OOS, but not for instate. However the instate DA results seem to be down. So while all pools were up it is possible that the OOS one was simply more competitive overall.

I dont’ think dd will apply to very many. She is pretty much narrowing them down before applications.

Well, older D added Drexel University to her list today, because (face palm) the mascot is a dragon. I’m hoping the fact that it’s a coop in an interesting city figured into that decision, also (face palm face palm).

That’s funny. My D would not consider adding Dickinson to the list because, well, the name…if you catch my drift. I thought to myself, I better not tell her about the mascot for UofSC or she’ll never want to visit next week!

Thanks for the Yik Yak recommendation. I’m getting my daughter to peek at some of the schools on her list and I peeked at some. Very interesting and surprising which schools were having really interesting and civil discussions.

East coast parents - what’s the best way to get to downtown Philadelphia (N Broad St. & Race St.) from the airport?
Cab estimater says about $35.00. If there is public transportation that’s easy for the first timer, please let me know.

We are visiting only Bryn Mawr there and off to NYC. We are both excited about Eastern State Penitentiary!

We postponed Western Washington University tour and decided to tour East Coast colleges during the spring break.
It’s much cheaper now and we can see current students active on campus.

Thank you!

@HiToWaMom we are hoping to go to the Spring event at WWU if it doesn’t conflict with call time for S17. Looks like it should get over early enough.

Spring event at WWU? What kind of event is it?

Seems like they have something on May 14th. We’ll check that out.

@HiToWaMom yes, that’s it. Registration isn’t open yet but we’ve signed up to be notified and I have it in the calendar.

Had to google the mascot: Cocky! LMAO!

This is a college I haven’t heard of before :))

Anyone familiar with how TX % laws Impact OOS admissions (other than making them very competitive)? UT-Austin has bee recommended as a good school for Russian. I am wondering about their OOS tuition waiver.

Just signed up DD to take AP exams in May - English, Chemistry, and APUSH.

Another question on east coast. What is your opinion about Mega Bus? I learned about it here on CC. My D looked up the reviews and some people said they waited for the bus over an hour. Other people warned to keep your expectation very low then you would have a nice travel.

Do you think traveling from Philadelphia to NYC by Amtrak is a better option? ($10.00 vs $78.00)