Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

QOTD: I’m thinking about having him apply for a Mayflower descendants scholarship, but he still has 2 college applications to finish this week and 2 applications after that.

QOYesterday: No real surprises except how bad the UC Berkeley housing situation is. We only went on 4 official tours, and he’s only visited 9 of the 19 colleges he’s applying to. Many of them are reaches, so no point in visiting the ones on the East Coast unless he is admitted. From our 4 data points, it seemed that the lower the admission percentage, the less you got to see the inside of classrooms, labs, and dorms on the tour.

Back to school today for my kids, but they have 3 weeks left of the semester. Our UC starts Winter Quarter next week.

Congrats on Gonzaga @snoozn!!

@ilikesporks – add MIT to that list of ‘tech schools that should have better interface’. Their proprietary system suffered some sort of glitch beginning at 9:30 the evening apps were due. Many students could not submit Part 2 of app. Never received confirmation of successful submission online, but email finally arrived confirming receipt, even though every submission attempt said “Oops…that should not have happened”.

Portal shows receipt of parts 1 & 2 but not of all other materials submitted weeks ago. Giving it time to sort itself out, but still…Other schools can manage this process; why can’t MIT?

^That IS embarrassing. Or should be. Sounds like the same folks who did the Coalition App may have helped MIT.

@Ynotgo If you can afford the extra cost, look into the Bowles Residential College at Berkeley. Great location, great views of the bay, and close to a lot of the science buildings on campus.

http://www.bowleshallresidentialcollege.org/

@youcee Wow, that looks like Yale!

Have not been on CC since before Christmas! Way too far behind. @snoozn Congrats on Gonzaga! Happy New Year everyone will try to catch up over the next couple of days - after I catch up at work. 8-|

@Ynotgo There’s some interesting history about the dorm in the Press section of the Bowles site. Here’s one article:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/education/article/Bowles-Hall-UC-s-oldest-dorm-to-be-run-by-6319444.php

It’s right next to the Greek Theater and Memorial Stadium.

@youcee Also looks like great access to excellent trail running for DS17. I will have him look at it. It might move Berkeley higher on the list. Though it looks like it would be yet another involved application. I would guess that a lot of the “interesting history” no longer applies as much since it is now co-ed.

@Ynotgo My assumption is that the refurbishment of the dorm has made it way better than it used to be. Fire roads up in Strawberry Canyon are not too far away for running. Guys on the crew team used to run up there. The dining hall was always a nice size, a little more personal. It also had it’s own basketball court - not sure if that is still there. I bet they’re not allowed to have kegs of beer anymore after every home football game (Bowles had special rules back in the day).

@Fishnlines29

I am guessing that public schools and non-CSS/FAFSA only schools would not penalize for outside scholarships. At CSS schools outside scholarships seem beneficial up to the amount of the student contribution.

@CA1543 - I’ve heard some really good things about film production at some of the Cal State schools, in particular, Long Beach, Fullerton, Northridge, and LA.

Fun fact: Steven Spielberg went to CSU Long Beach after being rejected from both UCLA and USC.

Has anyone ever gone to CB website to see where they already sent AP Scores? I need to send for a special program application, and all I see is “Send Scores” which takes you through picking a school…blah, blah, blah. I just want to see wear/if they’ve already been sent to this school.

I hate CB! ~X(

@MACncheez – under View Your AP Scores, there is a little tiny hyperlink in blue that says ‘Your past score orders’. Click there.

I have been going in to CB repeatedly for the past few days to remind myself of which schools require report of full testing history. And to double check that I actually ordered the score reports!

I knew it was there somewhere! Thanks @CT1417!

Well, semester 7 of 8 is now in the bag. No signs of senioritis yet, 4.0 UW, 5.0 W. 2 A+, 3A, and 1 A- in all APs. Kinda wish D '17 had some school waiting on grades or some scholarships that cared about semester 7 grades.

All apps, done. All scholarship apps, except for a few locals that the high school offers, done.

The end of the beginning or the beginning of the end?

Johns Hopkins just gave S a 4 day extension to submit his application. LOL. Are they kidding?

One last push for the sub 10% acceptance rate.

@STEM2017 – we could have used that one yesterday!!!

Dartmouth, where he never expressed any interest, offered extension before Christmas.

Since he missed the deadline on three apps, I would love to hear of any more extensions you receive!

Olin extended through tonight.

@CT1417 Not quite Dartmouth, but Fordham extended to Jan 9.

@STEM2017 – I toured Fordham with older son. It was a very pleasant surprise, other than the hub cap sales on the way in.

Thanks @CA1543 – has not considered anything quite that small.

I have the feeling that these extension offers are mostly sent to those who have not already sent score reports and teacher/GC LORs, although Chicago did send an extension several days ago.

Please keep them coming!