Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@vandyeyes Wow! Congrats!!’

@MotherOfDragons Definitely extensions. When ds was applying, I think it was RPI that sent him an email every single day that they extended the deadline 1 more day, and then another, and then another. He wouldn’t apply there just bc of their spam mania.

@Fishnlines29 Near Campinas, about an hour and a half outside of Sao Paulo.

Yay! Congrats ds of @vandyeyes! <:-P

@vandyeyes Awesome! Congrats!!! <:-P <:-P

@NerdMom88 Sorry about the illnesses, but that is great news about the Outback Bowl competitions !

Two more applications submitted here last night. Only 2 left plus an honors college. Next application not due for 2 entire days!

Naviance: I think he is supposed to update it, but there have been no messages encouraging that.

@NerdMom88 --A Crohn’s flare and an exploding toilet = NOT good! Good for her for dealing with it though and congrats on the awards. What a fantastic way to go out in senior year.

@vandyeyes --very awesome!! What is next in that process?

Congrats to your S @vandyeyes <:-P

Congrats @vandyeyes !

Welcome back @RightCoaster!

I honestly believe its all about lowering acceptance rates and getting as many applications in the door as possible. The AOs have a real-time look at what their acceptance rate will be and they are trying to manage it. Unsuspecting kids are the victims of this numbers game.

Congrats @vandyeyes on Regeneron!! I know it was a lot of effort, My son also has been named a semi-finalist. It was a lot of work for 2 years or so plus the paper but he was passionate about his project. And yeah - I hope it makes them feel a bit better about the EA deferral(s).

@ca1543 Yay for your ds, too! <:-P

@CA1543 Wow! Congrats!

What an accomplished group of kids!

If you go back a couple of pages on the student thread, one of the posters there was also concerned about essay spacing. :)>-

Congrats to both @CA1543 and @vandyeyes DC on that accomplishment!

@NerdMom88 —Congrats on the Outback Bowl. You really have to update us with the exploding toilet story detail (or maybe not?).

@vandyeyes and @CA1543 – Woo Hoo! That is fantastic news; congrats!

Naviance—students fill out paper form in May before they depart for Senior Internships. Am not sure the paper form even captures every possibility as I recall older son having trouble reporting ‘applied for but withdrew from EA due to ED acceptance’. Agree with @RightCoaster that Naviance is a good rough tool, but not at the granular level.

Congrats to @CA1543 and @vandyeyes kids!

Has anyone else seen the Decision Day invite from a not-to-be named school, where a student shows up on campus, hands in their scores/transcripts, attends an info session and tour, and by the end of all that, they will give you a same-day admission decision?! Did not see that one on my prior rodeo.

Congrats @CA1543 <:-P

@DMV301 Many schools offer this option.

well, there is definitely something to be said for instant gratification :slight_smile:

I don’t know much about Crohn’s, but I thought Crohn’s and exploding toilets were commonplace.

@DMV301 - Well, apparently it’s a thing. They call it “Instant Decision Day” and there are a bunch of schools that do it. (Of course, merit and/or FA info is not included as part of the decision, so that’s not entirely helpful for many).

https://www.admitster.com/instant-decision-days/

Superstitious? So I was mulling over buying a couple of (small/inexpensive) items from D’s ED bookstore now so I would have something to give her decision day if the result is positive!

I think it would be really cool but am I jinxing it?! (I only ask this because she wouldn’t buy anything when we visited because she’s superstitious.) I am too sometimes, but I feel this one could possibly go the other way - i.e. if I don’t buy it… :-??

@Fishnlines29 --or, it could be the power of positive thinking! I would do it just to have it on hand. If it works out your D will be thrilled you believed in her that much and if it doesn’t you can return it?