Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Congratulations @itsgettingreal17 !!!

I’ve had this tab open on my iPad for the last week: http://www.collegesimply.com/guides/application-deadlines/
Just one more school???

@socalmom007 Don’t do it! :)) D applied to 17, and boy are we regretting that. It was a great strategy at the time, but in hindsight, is really tiresome. She’s getting sloppy with the little things, event conflicts, and just cant find the motivation to finish that last essay.

S deferred at SUNY Binghamton. :frowning:

Six of his classmates were also deferred, one accepted and one rejected. Seems like they waved in the high stats kids and everyone else was deferred. This put a terrible taste in S’s mouth after all the demonstrated interest and, in his opinion, a very solid application.

GC was very surprised but is convinced most of them will be accepted. S just wants to forget them and move on. Glad he has other options.

@STEM2017 --So seven were also deferred? That’s insanity!! Was it like this last year?

@STEM2017 Sorry about the disappointment. He still has a good shot at getting in. All the deferrals this year is so unfair to the kids.

@STEM2017 oh that stinks

@STEM2017 I’m sorry ! :-<

@itsgettingreal17 I won’t tell you exactly how man we applied to, it’s over 20 :-j I know… Anyway, my daughter has weird circumstances. She and her boyfriend would like to stay within an hour or each other, so it’s made our search way more complicated!

Thinking back to Harvards review of the admissions process… I wonder if The challenge with emphasizing community service on college apps is that kids will serve for the wrong reasons. I find myself reading kids profiles on cc with a certain cynicism when I see things like “founded a non profit”.

Also, does anyone know if Case has an RD thread?

Just came back from a business trip and don’t think I will be able to catch up on all the pages. Congratulations to all new acceptances and scholarships offers!!! Hugs to any disappointments!

D just texted me while shopping for her prom dress, she got in to GIT. We need to see if there will be any scholarship money next!

Oh God, I’ve heard prom dresses mentioned a few times today, must be subliminal messaging, I’m supposed to get on that. My daughter is a 5’10" size 3, not easy to fit…

Well, in the holy schneikes department, two kids D is friends with who are full IB Diploma kids in-state did NOT get into Georgia Tech EA. One was deferred RD, the other was bumped to 2018 as a transfer. @-)

@itsgettingreal17, Congrats on UGA scholarship developments. To all other recent acceptances, congrats to all…

@jmek15 Congrats on Boulder, everyone I know there loves it!!

@payn4ward you should definitely visit Northeastern we were pleasantly surprised it had much more of a campus feel than we thought it would. My DS17 was accepted EA and is strongly considering attending. Worth a visit for sure!

@socalmom007 congrats on the acceptances!!

@eandesmom congrats on Goucher!

@carachel2 S said 5 or 6 of his classmates were also deferred so I’m not sure the exact number. His school doesn’t give exact stats for each year but I’m sure the acceptance rate was much higher last year. He also told me that his good friend who was accepted to Georgetown was deferred at Bing. Lol.

I agree with GC that most of these kids will eventually get accepted, but it’s really annoying after showing so much “early” interest.

Bing has dropped dramatically on his list after the deferral. Buffalo and Stony Brook moved much higher after showing the love.

If anyone is interested, I found the original youtube I watched about Turning the Tide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJCHWn2yAs

Does anyone have any wisdom to share on exploratory summer programs for younger, non-outstanding kids?

Have to admit I’m starting to think about DS19… :)) :((

It’s probably a tangent here, so I posted something in the parents forum…

@thshadow both my daughters did DukeTip, is that what you’re talking about?