Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

That does stink about the alum interview, I would be pissed. My daughter’s Bryn Mawr interviewer did nothing of the sort. My daughter wouldn’t have even known what to say.

Congrats @itsgettingreal17!!

@LoveTheBard D did not apply to Plan II.

@mommdc We had a school ask about grandparent assets set aside for the student. You are correct that if Grandparents pay the college directly they will assume they will continue to do so and adjust need based FA accordingly.

I think my D would finesse something if asked during an interview. She would likely give the names of a few peer schools but not show her entire hand. If it’s a big MAC school, she’d mention other big MAC peer schools; if it’s a named scholarship trying to attract kids that would otherwise go going to an ivy, she’d probably let it be known about her EA acceptance but express concerns about her family’s finances.

I think basic economics should be mandatory K-12 because basic economics understanding in the US is pretty horrible. Big reason why 60%+ of the people couldn’t cover a $500 emergency expense. And why large numbers of people have next to nothing saved for retirement. Would help increase standard of living for a lot of people with no change in income. And would have the added benefit of severely limiting the ability of politicians (on both sides of the aisle) to spew garbage taking advantage of the lack of understanding of basic economics by the masses.

Counterpoints:

1. Way too many kids, their parents don't take care of such things at home—and not because the parents are slackers or anything, but rather because they don't know it themselves, or at least don't know it well enough to teach it even by example.
  2. I would argue that personal finance **is** an academic class, equally as much as composition or calculus are.

@CT1417, Ha, I like your quick filing system… Well, what they don’t know won’t hurt them. ;))

On the topic of financial literacy, there’s a really cool program in MA that I am actually working with to spread elsewhere that doesn’t even take a full semester class to do. I think it’s part of a bigger picture, but imagine if this one day thing was a normal part of high school.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/north/2016/04/01/credit-for-life-fair-gives-students-financial-leg/2GHPdJXrreFrfbQxq0WUOJ/story.html

It’s quite realistic, with students being assigned a salary (and debt) based on the career they choose.

Prom:

All this talk about prom lead me to check the date. Unfortunately it falls on a weekend in which D has 4 different once in a lifetime conflicting events to choose from. So, no senior prom here. :frowning: Glad she went to junior prom so she will have some prom memory.

@LoveTheBard From the Wellesley website a description of Early Evaluation…
Wellesley’s unique nonbinding Early Evaluation option for Regular Decision candidates provides students with an early indication of their chances for admission. At the end of February, the Board of Admission provides Early Evaluation notifications to Regular Decision candidates who select the option. Applicants are notified that their chances are “likely,” “possible,” or “unlikely.” Applicants receive their final admission decision and financial aid notification from the Board of Admission in late March.

Congratulations @itsgettingreal17! A banner day indeed!

Congrats @itsgettingreal17 - on the double great news!

Congrats @itsgettingreal17 !! I had to google the 40 Acres Scholarship, looks like a great deal, good luck.

Incredible @itsgettingreal17 !!! Congratulations!!!

@cleoforshort I guess we need to help prepare our kids for all types of inappropriate questions. There’s really nothing you can do to prevent them, it’s all about how you handle the. I’m not sure how my S would have answered. He has a Cornell (super high reach long shot) interview coming up so we should start rehearsing.

Congrats @itsgettingreal17

For Harvard interview DC was asked what other colleges question as well, I thought it was crossing the line. DC replied applied to few other schools which will give me the college experience I am looking for plus state schools as safety. I thought it was a good answer but imo not professional of the interviewer

I also was pleasantly surprised to see personal finance as required on new curriculum. Even if it replaces home ec it would be more valuable imo.

@itsgettingreal17 wow, congrats! that sounds like an amazing program - best of luck!

@cleoforshort I agree those questions were over the line - especially asking about where Midd ranks for your D. Wow!

My D has had a few alumni interviews, and only the guy from Hamilton asked about other schools, but he was pretty hilarious about it, so D didn’t mind (Hamilton actually shot from a ho-hum “Mom’s choice” school to top 3 contender for D after this interview - guy was a heck of an ambassador and wildly entertaining - and it doesn’t hurt that he has been extremely successful in his post-college career :wink: )

Crud, nothing good in the mail today. But I guess this means nothing bad either, right?

Son17 is kind of getting tired of waiting to make his mind of what to do, and is leaning towards going to one of the schools that offered him a spot on the lax team. He thinks he should get some merit $$ and he is thinking he’d like the chance to keep playing in college. He said he thinks it would be fun, he’d like the working out, and it might help when it comes time to get a job. There are a lot of companies that like to hire student athletes and he thinks that could be beneficial down the road. So, he’s hoping to hear back soon to see what kind of package he gets.

He’s also mentioned that if he does not end up going to school in the Boston area he wants to pursue some study abroad options to get some city life in ( summer study/fall semester). I think that would be fun and told him I approve.

I would love to see personal finance on a curriculum. Even if it’s simply a unit, somewhere! The college finance project was invaluable to both my kids in some basic ways in that respect. While it would be lovely to think that all kids are getting this at home, the reality is few if any area. Many parents don’t understand basic personal finance well.

@RightCoaster good luck on the package being what he is looking for!