Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@lbf - Priority decisions will likely NOT be out today (although I would love to be proven wrong) - it is an unfortunate rumor that is out of control…hang in there, I sent you a private message…

Try University of Cambridge and University of Oxford … If they apply to college they should be a bit better informed

@NerdMom88 Oh that’s awful!! I’m so sorry for your D (and you). I hope they will let her appeal the second time and she will go upward from there. I am hoping for the good outcome.

@maryversity — there will be a LOT of disappointed students over on that Maryland thread.

I still do not fully understand their process but have decided to sit back and watch the process unfold. As in, once a decision has been communicated, then try to understand. Thanks for your helpful posts on that thread.

This article about UMD housing from the student newspaper came across my feed earlier today:

http://www.dbknews.com/2017/01/27/strategic-housing-partnership-update/

Apparently D’s application has a quality of either making it or breaking it!! While she made U Chicago EA, and GA Tech Stamps semifinalist, she got deferred from USC, in addition to Michigan! Well, you can only go to one school. It is also too late to revise what she did wrong for other RD schools!! Well, well :((

Congrats on all the admission and scholarship news! Hugs for deferrals and rejections!!

Super helpful @veehee, thank you so much for sharing your positive assessment of temple! We’ll see what happens, feeling very unmoored by this information. I hope they both get into schools they love and work financially. As for being judged on the content of ones character… they don’t care to meet our daughter or us. It’s just a “no way” for them. The older brother hasn’t dated much, so he was ok going along with the program. My D’d bf not so much. We shall see.

I’m so sorry @NerdMom88 , that’s awful. I hope your daughter is doing better now.

@SincererLove I’m so sorry on the deferrals!

UMD decisions are out. Ds got in and in to the Business School and College Park Scholars. Not sure if it’s still a real contender anymore but still nice to have.

@CT1417 @lbf Happy to report that I was wrong - admissions decisions seem to be out now…

Today at 4:55 pm
@NerdMom88 , thanks for sharing with us - I truly hope they can help her with keeping the scholarship and she feels better - gets what she needs.

@SincererLove – USC did not grant many this round - she has a good shot for the March decisions I would. congrats on GATech - is she interested?

and on the flip side he got the USC email informing him that he had not passed on to the next round for the large scholarships and his response was: “Well then USC you don’t move on to my next round of interest”. Having a bunch of acceptances to places you really like really helps when you find out another school won’t be a financial possibility.

@NerdMom88 Hope there is a good resolution to the situation for your D, and hugs her way!!!
@SincererLove Sorry for the USC and Umichigan deferral. My D got into uMichigan but didn’t make it to GaTech stamp semifinalist. She just landed in Detroit to attend the michigan engineering leadership weekend. Hope there will be future merit $ coming our way.

D agreed to me checking her UMD portal since she is in transit. She got in with honor college.

Another good news is that she received the US Presidential Scholars nomination this afternoon!!!

D is in at UMD Honors for business!

UT BHP also increased her scholarship offer.

It’s a good Friday!

S admitted to UMD! No honors or scholars but happy anyway.

@STEM2017 – congrats to your son. We have a friend whose son is a junior here and he really likes it - CS or Ce I think.

@SincererLove - I’m sure your D did not do anything wrong that needs revision. The process is just so random. (I sent you a pm – I don’t think that the USC letter was a deferral; it’s just that she’s not being considered for one of their full-tuition or half-tuition scholarships). I’m pretty sure that they have not yet gone through their admissions process yet.

Hugs nonetheless on UMich (their loss! - UChicago’s a much better school anyway!!). Onward and forward!

@WhereIsMyKindle thanks for the article on UMD Housing.

@maryversity UMD priority decisions came out today and my DS got accepted woohoo!!
He got the CS major he was hoping for and into a program called FIRE which is a first year year innovation and research experience (I will have to do some reading up on that). Looks like we need to plan a trip to visit :slight_smile:

Well, there’s good news to balance out our frustration.

D2 was accepted to UMD in Aerospace Engineering and Honors (OOS). It’s her current first choice, so she’s very excited!

@NerdMom88 , @STEM2017 ,@itsgettingreal17, @whataboutcollege, @Collegecue, @NerdMom88 congrats on UMD!!
Lots of good news for a Friday :slight_smile: