Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@snoozn, D18’s (I’m still getting used to writing that as opposed to how old she is, lol) forensics class next year is the dead body kind of class.

We used Magoosh for test prep. It has worked spectacularly well for D17. D18 will start on it this summer.

@Hades321 wrote "Anyone have a opinion about a non-Christian attending Boston University? " I would be a little leery if you’d said “Boston College”, but my peers who’ve attended BU tended to be not very religious-either secular Jews or lapsed Catholics, with a sprinkle of Protestants who rarely attended church thrown in. But that’s just my small slice of growing up in MA and having friends go there.

D18’s guidance counselor just sent us a note warning us that if D doesn’t get her grades up she’ll get kicked out of her IB school (where D17 also is). The bad grade is in AP Comp Sci (which she hates, and the teacher uses youtube to teach the class because he doesn’t know how to program). The kicker is that her dad has a master’s in computer science, and younger D didn’t ask him for help because ‘he’s too bossy’.

I’m just grinding my teeth over the whole thing because for her to go to her districted school next year would be a major bummer for her-no robotics at all there, and she’s riding the bus because we’re not buying two cars. Hopefully this warning will light the fire under her butt, or at least send her into Panic Monster mode for the rest of the semester. I told her her grades are going to have to be extra good because now they have her in their sights and they’re looking for a reason to kick her out. Welcome to reality, kid :\

Been off the board for awhile but I thought I would comment on some of the latest posts and give a trip update as well.

We did not use any test prep services and my son scored high enough that we won’t need to. May be a different story when my younger son gets to this stage. We are using “college coach” advising services for questions on financial aid, college selection and to critique essays. My company provides this as a free service or I wouldn’t be doing it. Most of the information I know already from this site but they have provided a few suggestions that are very useful. I think they will be more helpful when we get to essay writing.

Visited University of Penn and Temple last week. Son really liked them both. They represent the extremes of his list being the reach and financial safety schools. Liked the enclosed campus feel to Penn and the general atmosphere. Temple Honors program really tried to convince him of the advantages of going there. Besides for the general tour and information session they also arranged for him to go to an honors seminar, had two honors students take us to lunch, gave us a second tour of the honors dorm and facilities and had a conference with one of the associate deans. If anyone has a question about either of those schools please ask.

Taking a break for a few weeks now. Son just got his wisdom teeth removed and is not in the mood to think about colleges.

All of my kids used Princeton Review for SAT prep. Some did the classroom, one did online. All of them got good results and ended up being very happy with their scores. They also found that the SAT prep helped with the ACT prep (even the old SAT prep…probably more relevant now). My kids did the prep during sophomore year. Took the spring SAT during sophomore year and then again some time during junior year whenever it fit into their busy schedules. The goal was to finish all standardized testing by the end of junior year so that they could concentrate on AP exams, SAT subject tests and college applications.

@MotherOfDragons Oops I really meant Boston College as I know its a catholic school. Not Boston University. BU is definitely on her list

We are a very devout Catholic family (in case the 8 kids didn’t give it away :wink: ). From our perspective, there are only a handful of Catholic colleges where Catholic teachings completely permeate the campus culture. Those schools are the ones found the Cardinal Newman list. (If someone is not comfortable with Catholic theology, the schools on this list should be avoided.) http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org/TheNewmanGuide/RecommendedColleges.aspx

Most Jesuit universities do not have a dominating Catholic culture. For some of the other lesser known Catholic universities, I don’t know if there is an easy way to classify. (For example, I had never heard of the Univeristy of Portland before this thread, but we have always lived in the southeast/south.

Don’t know if that is at all helpful or not.

We toured university of Pittsburgh and Kenyon college. You can’t get much different (and that was the point, to see different types of schools). She liked Pitt with its urban campus and abundant food choices and pretty much every major in existence. She loved Kenyon and its community feel and writing intensive programs, but hated the isolation.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek what I have noticed around here is that all of the Jesuit schools do require at least 2 theology classes, one general and one related to the major in upper division. At least at the curriculum’s I looked at. Which for some, may be too much.

My father taught at Seattle U for years and has been trying to convince S17 to consider a few of the Jesuit schools but it is a stumbling block for him. I suppose the good news for S is that at present, none of the schools have the best program fit so it’s been somewhat easy to just let that go for now.

@Felicita, we are with you in getting all the standardized testing successfully completed by the end of junior year. D15 retook the SAT the beginning of senior year because her sports scheduled conflicted with almost every test date junior year (weekend events). That was not a good situation.

@eandesmom I can see that might be an issue for some. Any student who does not want to deal with any Catholic theology obviously should not attend a Catholic university. That is the way it should be.

The difference from my perspective is that Jesuit univerisities typically offer theology classes that are not strictly Catholic and are not meant to convert students to Catholicism. That includes many of the non-Jesuit universities. For example, look at this list from Notre Dame. http://theology.nd.edu/undergraduate-programs/courses/

Some of the Catholic colleges are going to be more like BYU.

My D wanted to be done woth the ACT as well but like @mtrosemom the sports got on the way. She’s taking it in 2 weeks and hopefully will get the magic number she’s aiming for. Otherwise I’ll sign her up for the June one. Fingers crossed!

@Mom2aphysicsgeek I agree, some of the curriculum I think he’d be fine with (and enjoy on the debate side of thigns, quite a lot actually), it’s more the overall vibe that might bother him. His strong preference is no religious affiliation of any kind, I just want to make sure that doesn’t leave out great program and other overall fits if the vibe is low at best.

There are few that have program fits, just not seemingly as strong (at least on paper) as the state school options.

Just got a telephone book delivered at my front door. My kids don’t understand why anyone would ever use one. I don’t know why they make them anymore. It makes me think of way back when, when we had to apply to college by filling out actual paper and there were no resources like we have today. I can’t imagine doing it the old way now. Happy to be in the 21st century, esp. with all of you!!!

I used a typewriter (and whiteout) to type my grad school application. :slight_smile:

I once chaperoned kids field trip to a natural history museum. There was a typewriter inside a glass dispaly case. All the moms felt pretty ancient. 8-|

We have an outdoor sculpture park that has a typewriter eraser. My kids had no clue what it was.

I was quite attached to my portable brother typewriter with it’s auto correct function in college. When it worked and the correction ribbon didn’t jam. And when I could find the right replacement ribbon…

@eandesmom I had a brother typewriter too. You brought back memories about the auto correct. I am literally chuckling out loud and my girls are looking at me oddly. If I tried to explain, it may make things worse.

I was ecstatic that I could use the departments IBM Selectra when I was in college. My brother portable, with it’s auto correct function, didn’t work very well. Plus, I was one of the worst typers ever. Thank goodness that personal computers (glorified word processors) came out when I was working on my grad thesis! I was explaining to S17 last week that “cut and paste” was literally that. I would write a paper, cut out paragraphs or sections of paragraphs, rearrange them, tape them to a clean page, and then rewrite based on the cut and paste modifications.

My favorite brother typewriter story was the time I tried to take no doze to pull an all nighter on a paper I’d procrastinated on. I dozed, while typing and actually “slept typed”. A random stream of consciousness dream sequence thought in the middle of my paper, out of nowhere. Of course it was beyond the point of the auto correct being able to work its magic. Needless to say, I never took no doze again.

LOL! It is strange to think just how much has changed in span of my kids’ ages. Our oldest was born in 89. We had no cell phones. No computer. No internet. No home printer. (Kinkos for copies!!) Heck, we had VHS, not even dvds! ETA: long distance phone calls were $0.15/minute!)

We didn’t get our first desktop until 95. Fast forward to our youngest who is 6. Laptops, ipods, ipads, internet everywhere, movies stream. I have written and published books that are downloads! All phone calls are local and you can SKYPE!!

Brave new world.

Egads, this was supposed to be a short summary – I didn’t even look at my notes!

D and I did the northeast sweep during her spring break last week. She wants to major in electrical engineering with a focus on renewable energy. The only schools we’d visited before this trip were CU-Boulder and Oregon Tech. If anyone is interested in hearing more (yes, there’s more!) about any of our visited schools feel free to ask.

Clarkson University: This is the first small college she’s seen with that real “college feel” and D liked it almost immediately. She did an interview and the admissions officer talked to both of us after. He seemed very impressed and D felt it went well. Our tour guide was excellent and the group wasn’t too big. The best part was that D got to sit in on a class and I was invited as well, so naturally I went too! The class was Chem 2 and the professor was just great. He was really engaged with the class and made great use of props and examples. I spent some time scanning the classroom. Some students sat together and others on their own. There were about 150 students (one of their larger classes), but it didn’t feel crowded or overwhelming to D. The school had a casual friendly vibe. I think the male uniform there is a plaid flannel shirt (seriously, I’ve never seen so many in one place!) There were quite a few students in Clarkson gear. Campus was small, but still lots of green space. Many of the buildings are very nice and modern and also connected to each other which students said was important in the winter! D loved the school and it immediately went to the top of her list.

Rennselaer: The atmosphere was a little less warm, but certainly not unfriendly. D liked the fact that core requirements were very flexible. I may not have this exactly right, but outside of major requirements, students just have to take a certain amount of humanities/arts classes but no particular type. Our guide (also very good) said he was getting a minor in psychology practically by accident because he’d mostly used psych classes to fulfill this requirement. He also said one reason he chose RPI was because he loved STEM and didn’t want much to do with liberal arts. Hopefully this doesn’t imply those classes are sub-par. D was supposed to sit in on an engineering class, but it was cancelled. Very disappointing. The campus was nice and felt quite big for the size of the school. D’s favorite building was the performing arts center that was very impressive. Odd for such a techy school, but apparently it was paid for by an anonymous donor. D liked RPI quite a bit, but it went to number 2 with Clarkson maintaining its top spot.

Smith College: Certainly the school on her list most different from any of the others. She had never even considered a women’s college, but liked the sound of the small engineering department and the fact that there would be a wide variety of class choices with the 5 college consortium, while still being in a small school. We were quite lucky that my D11 had a good friend there who was a senior and who met us for lunch. She really loved Smith and told us the only real problems she’d encountered were when dealing with the administration when she sometimes wanted to do things a little differently (for example, taking a gap year between freshman and sophomore year). The info session was the most interesting one we attended. They stressed that they don’t expect their students to take every AP class and are also test-optional (although D will send scores). Their outside of major requirements were even more flexible than RPI: half of your credits must be outside your major. That’s it! We’d seen some big tour groups earlier in the day but totally lucked out. It was just us and one other mother and daughter and we had a wonderful tour guide and equally wonderful tour guide-in-training. Housing and meals were great too. The students live in houses with anywhere from 20 to 100 other girls. They usually form tight-knit bonds and actually do gather in the living areas frequently and are very welcoming to freshman. Meal plan is unlimited and there are 15 small dining halls. Smith immediately soared to the top of the list.

Worcester Polytechnic: D and I really liked the hands-on project based emphasis here. Students do a junior year project which is usually inter-disciplinary with a team. It can be done overseas or in the US. The senior year project is more focused on the student’s area of interest. D was supposed to sit in on a class, but this time they were taking a test. Bad luck! Once again we had a good tour guide. We were then taken to lunch by two other tour guides, with just one other family. This was really informative and our guide described her junior year project which was working with a team at Disney World on a new type of animatronic. How cool is that?! We could tell she had absolutely loved it. I believe she said her senior project would be at Hasbro working on a toy based project. D liked the dorms here the least (mostly quads) and the food the best. We both really liked WPI and it barely edged out Clarkson for second place.

Union College: They were on spring break, but it was so close to WPI that we jumped over to take a campus tour. The campus was very pretty, but there seem to be some worries about the safety of Schenectady. I think our guide was pretty inexperienced (probably not much of a pool to draw from during sb). She was very nervous and I felt bad for her. Unfortunately she knew nothing about the engineering program. There were no students around of course, so we couldn’t get a feel for the campus. No ranking here since it really wasn’t much of a visit.

Northeastern: I don’t remember too much without my notes as my brain was not in the best shape by this time. D and I both found their co-op program very interesting. D likes the idea of getting real world experience and earning money while still in college. She also liked the campus location in the Fenway section of Boston. It was miserably cold and raining, so we didn’t get a great look at the campus hurrying from building to building. Of course it had a very urban feel. D really likes Boston, but I’m not sure she sees herself in that kind of atmosphere for 4 years, plus it is bigger than she prefers. It went to number 5 on the list. I’m not sure it’s even worth applying, being one of her most selective schools so even if she got in I doubt there’d be any merit aid.

Boston University: We did the engineering school tour first. Unfortunately there were more people than expected and our tour guide was a student who worked in admissions but was not normally a tour guide. She was in mechanical engineering and couldn’t really answer many questions relating to the other fields. They had an amazing materials/manufacturing lab, but this is not D’s area of interest. The regular tour was better, but I could tell D was just not interested. She said she’d rather go to CU-Boulder (our local public), so BU came off the list.

Probably needless to say here, but of course these “rankings” are purely about being a good fit with my D. All the colleges seemed like fine schools that would be somebody’s best fit. The trip was exhausting, but we had a great time together. All the driving time didn’t even feel that long!

@eandesmom I would love to see what you “slept typed”. That’s too funny!

@Mom2aphysicsgeek I know what you mean. So much has changed in just 10 years. I can’t fathom what will be in the next 10. My kids will say to their children 'when I was a kid we just had a cell phone and computers and iPads etc. ’ i can’t wait to see what lies ahead