Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Very long trip report for American University below!

American University is located in a residential area of Washington DC, near Embassy Row, approximately 4 miles from the White House. It has a total enrollment of more than 12,000 students with about 7000 undergraduates.

The campus is pretty, with light-colored buildings, attractive green spaces, and many trees. Most of the campus is self-contained without regular city streets running through it. We were surprised that the campus is not perfectly flat. Everyone we interacted with was friendly.

Undergrads are separated in five schools: College of Arts and Sciences, Kogod School of Business, School of Communication, School of International Service (SIS), and School of Public Affairs. SIS is by far the largest with 2000 students. More than 40 majors offer a combined 5-year bachelor/masters program.

The university general education requirements are two classes each from five different areas: Creative Arts; Traditions the Shape the Western World; the Global and Cross-Cultural Experiences; Social Institutions and Behaviors; and the Natural and Mathematical Sciences. AP credit appears to be generous.

American is proud of their internship program (85% of students participate in at least one) and their study abroad program. 60% of undergrads study abroad for a semester, a year, or a summer (language-acquisition programs or credit-bearing internships only). About half of the students study at AUā€™s three centers in Brussels, Madrid, and Nairobi. The others choose from 140 programs spread across 39 countries. Specific study-abroad scholarships are available through AU. American has an impressive number of recipients of nationally competitive scholarships and fellowships such as Boren, Fulbright, and Udall, with an Office of Merit Awards to mentor applicants.

Freshman and sophomores are guaranteed university housing. There have been many forced triples over the past few years. New sophomore housing is being built which should alleviate the tripling but those may not be ready for this fall. A main dining hall takes meal swipes, and there are multiple locations that accept their points/dollars system. No eateries or shops are immediately off campus but are within a 15 minute walk (or free shuttle ride). The nearest Metro stop is in that location as well.

We attended a special visit day for the School of International Service (SIS) so the rest of my notes will focus on that.

About 2000 undergrad students are enrolled in SIS as International Studies majors who choose from 8 concentrations. There are 125 full-time faculty and more than 25 adjuncts who come from the State Department, other government agencies, and NGOs to teach a course or two each year. A retired ambassador led a discussion with the students in our group.

The current SIS program is four years old. During the first semester of freshman year all the students take World Politics in large lectures but with small discussion sections. During the second semester, the students choose from various cross-cultural communications classes, all with a maximum enrollment of 25. The third required course of freshman year is a 19-person seminar taken either semester, chosen from a wide variety of topics.

Required during sophomore year are an intro to research class during the fall and a choice of themed (by topic, region, or methodology) research classes during the spring.

Students are required to take 3 survey classes from the 8 thematic area concentrations: environmental sustainability and global health; foreign policy and national security; global and comparative governance; identity, race, gender, and culture; justice, ethics, and human rights; peace, global security, and conflict resolution; and the global economy.

Students take additional classes from 2 of the 8 thematic areas, as well as 3 classes from regional areas (Sub-Saharan Africa, East Asia and the Pacific, Europe and Eurasia, Middle East and North Africa, South and Central Asia, Western Hemisphere). The foreign language requirement does not have to match the regional focus.

Other SIS major requirements include 3 economics classes, US politics, and a senior capstone.

D was favorably impressed with the university and especially with SIS. The internship possibilities are a definite draw! Sheā€™ll need to return to talk with professors from SIS and language departments and to sit in on a class or two. She would also need to be awarded one of their highest merit scholarships to attend because it is way too expensive for this family who cannot pay their high EFC.

Weā€™ve yet to receive a phone callā€¦which is fine with me! We are careful to check no info boxes yet stuff, odd odd stuffā€¦still shows up.

That said, I will fully confess to having signed up for info from a couple of schools that I think S17 should consider (when he has said no) as well as ones he knows he wants to look at. He will do some gathering on his own but having printed reference material for him, when the timing is right works well. I separate and toss, the basket of what is kept is very very small.

I will say the strategy has appeared to be effective. A program he had dismissed (based solely on location) moved back on the list based on the lovely packet with some compelling info in it that arrived a few days ago. The nicer mailers, at least for S, often only show up if interest is expressed. On the flipside, we have had more than one school kill any mild interest by a very poor mailer.

Emails, unless they are confirming a tour, are almost always worthless and get completely lost in the barrage.

I do get quite annoyed by links that actually do not work from a school that interest has been expressed in. One today showed up that wanted updated GPA and major areaā€¦yet I know those were completed when the info request was originally sent in.

@WhereIsMyKindle a coworkers daughter just graduated from American. Americanā€™s offer came in significantly more than her flagship (CU-BO) did. I am not sure how high their EFC is but it didnā€™t qualify her for anything but merit at CU.

She participated in their study abroad and I believe internship and was gainfully employed almost immediately. Absolutely thrilled with the school.

@WhereIsMyKindle What are the amts of the largest scholarships at American? I looked at it earlier and I thought the only really large one was a minority scholarship. Am I remembering incorrectly?

@CaucAsianDad Thank you! At least one of the programs she is interested in requires Calc III (which seems a bit much to me). Then there is also the rigor since we are looking for merit money. And my D just really loves math. She is currently taking APUSH and will take AP Lit next year (she has AP Lang this year). My D is only taking AP courses so sheā€™s pretty much taken or will take all that is offered at her HS. This will allow her to possibly accomplish all she is hoping to accomplish in 4 years in college ā€¦ honors program, double major, language minor, study abroad, internships, masters degree. Unlikely in my opinion, but we shall see. I will pass on your info regarding the importance of reading comprehension to accounting. :slight_smile:

@WhereIsMyKindle Great recap. This school was originally on Dā€™s list, but I took it off because it didnā€™t have a big football program. I may have to revisit.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek

The Frederick Douglas Scholarship Program (5 full-rides per year): From the material we received on Monday ā€œWe seek ambitious, well-rounded students who are dedicated to improving under-resourced and under-served communities around the worldā€. Not all the recipients in the past year or two have been minority students, based on their pictures and bios online.

AU Honors is limited to 20 students receiving $30,000 per year.

Most of the merit scholarships are $10-15,000 per year. Ridiculous.

Is it possible that there are only a few more months left of junior year? Even though DS has SAT, AP and subject testing lined up, his biggest worry - junior thesis - is behind him. Canā€™t wait for the testing to be completed so we can all breath a little.

Upthread someone talked about U of Portland feeling too Catholic. I really think this is in the eye of the beholder. Iā€™ve been on campus many, many times as we use professional services from teachers on campus. Never felt like it had an overwhelming catholic or religious vibe. Neither kid (who both attended/attend a catholic h.s.) felt it either. And weā€™re not Catholic. Now U of San Diego felt overwhelmingly, uncomfortably religious to us.

@Agentninetynine the time just keeps going by so quickly. I am enjoying every single moment because in the blink of an eye they will be gone. Bring on the tissues

Funny about how we all view emails from schools. I asked D to make sure she checked the boxā€¦must be a masochist. We have a college email for her, and have set up a couple filters where we look for school mails sheā€™s interested in, including the ones she has gotten on their mailing list. Iā€™m a believer that schools do track ā€˜interestā€™ that way. All the other mail from ā€˜collegesā€™ or 'universityā€™s or ā€˜institutesā€™ go to another folder.

We have receive only one call so far, from Reed. I think thatā€™s kind of creepy.

We visited Furman today, just over the border of NC into South Carolina. We passed 2 Confederate flags just after crossing into SC, and another later. My D made me slow down so she could post on Snapchat.

Furman was another pleasant surprise of a school. My D is looking to eventually go into medical research. She is looking for a Bio/Neuro/Genetics program, and Furman has a Neuroscience major with a lot of research opportunities, all for UGs, since they donā€™t have a graduate program. A very nice Sciences building on a drop dead gorgeous campus, with itā€™s own lake. We saw dozens of articles posted in the Sciences building that were authored by combinations of faculty and students. Really good to see. Great facilities. It was nice that we got to go through the Sciences building first on the tour, because we are starting to glaze over with all the information, and after Davidson we were a little gun shy.

I forgot to mention that the info session was good, and our tour guide (although a Communicatiosn major) was really good. As I said, the campus is gorgeous. All the kids got Furman sunglasses and drinking cups :), and everyone in the party got free passes for lunch in the cafeterias. There are only about 2700 students, which is smaller than Dā€™s HS, but it felt much bigger than thatā€¦although our tour guide said ā€˜hiā€™ to a dozen or more kids as we walked through campus. At first, it seemed a little too preppy for my D, many kids wearing Vineyard Vine shirts (?), khakis shorts, high socks, and Sperrys. But, once we got to the Sciences building, it was a little different ;). Overall, itā€™s a bit preppy but not overpowering. There is almost 50% Greek presence, but there are no residence houses. They share the dorms.

After a 45-minute walking tour of the campus we were taken by golf cart (a big mo-fo) on a tour of the outer parts of the campus. A nice change of pace for tired feet. For this part we got a new guide, who was a Business major and a frat rat. Super nice and very honest and informative. We saw all the sports facilities and saw a couple of dorms. He was able to talk about the club sports, which was helpful since my D would like to play club Lacrosse if possible.

There was the other talk of Study Away (thatā€™s their version), research, 70% OOS, internships, scholarships (some FT/FR, some departmental, and 100 others that are not strictly defined, up to $25K). The meal plan was similar to Elon, and required for Freshmanā€¦unlimited swipes per day. Not sure how they avoid the freshman fifteen!

All in all, a good day. Strong candidate for a LAC. More highly rated than Elon, with the only negative being that itā€™s smaller (although also D1), a bit preppier, and perhaps a bit harder to get to from the Midwest. Greenville is about 5 miles from campus, and there is a nice hiking/biking trail that goes to town. Can check out bikes for free from the school, and freshman can have cars.

Clemson tomorrow, including a session at the Calhoun Honors College. Weā€™ve had great, beautiful weather so farā€¦but looks like rain tomorrow. Oh, well. Canā€™t win them all.

@2muchquan ā€¦ Great reviews. Canā€™t wait to hear about Clemson. What is after Clemson?

Visited Colby, Bates with my son recently.

Bates

Pretty campus. Great writing program (W 1-2-3). Friendly people, Nice dining hall. (They have only one dining hall in the entire campus) Graduation thesis is mandatory. Honor thesis is optional. Strongly requires an interview. (DS had an interview) Admission interview is conducted by a senior student. Town of Lewiston is not very appealing. Freeezing cold and takes 5+ hours from NYC. Gave us a free meal coupon.

Colby

Similar vibe as Bates. Campus a bit bigger. Town of Waterville looks nicer than Lewiston. People are equally nice.

Even farther from NYC or Boston which is a bit letdown. (Takes 1- hour from Bates) DS had an interview. Interview is recommended but not as much at at Bates. Again, really cold. Gave us a free meal coupon. :slight_smile:

Both schools are nice and friendly. Great education, we believe in a close-knit community. The only problem is location for us. Living in CA, we think it is a bit too far and isolated. (and cold)

@2muchquan Great recap! Looking forward to your Clemson recap as its on my Dā€™s list.

@carachel2 after Clemson we head to U of South Carolina. If anyone has any questions or suggestions, Iā€™m all ears. We also have an appointment with the Honors College there, which I am really looking forward to. Then: home!

@whereismykindle Thanks for merit clarification. $30,000 isnā€™t enough. :frowning: and I donā€™t think that those are her career goals, though those are pretty fluid right now. She knows what she wants to major in, but is far less clear about what she wants to do with it. She has talked about working with refugees, so that may qualify.

@itsgettingreal17

Sounds like your D is in great shape. My D is also on the course rigor route with the hopes of getting into an honors program.

If your D loves math she may want to look at some advanced finance classes. As an Accounting major we were encouraged to take a sequence of advanced Finance classes like Financial Modeling, Capital Market Analysis and Advanced Financial Topics. Those had way too much math for me, but they were seen as beneficial for those that may go a corporate / CFO route. That is years away so no need to worry about that yet, but it sounds like she will have a lot of options.

All the emails/mailings are so confusing to me - do these schools have an indication of our childā€™s success or not? My ds has heard from all ivies, amherst, williams, vandy, JHU, Stanford, along with OK and a ton of engineering/technology related schools (heā€™s not even looking at engineering). Itā€™s so interesting to me - has to be a very expensive endeavor on the universityā€™s part and at least in our house, receives almost no attention. I noticed yesterday that even mail from one of his favorites has laid on the table unopened for days. One of his friends said that they had received a frisbee and sunglasses from schools - my ds has heard from every selective school in the US and laments that no one sent him a frisbeeā€¦ ha I think these schools are just throwing their money away with these mailingsā€¦

@WhereIsMyKindle
What a nice report of SIS at American University.

I am an interloper from the class of 2016, but I thought I would share my DS merit scholarship info from AU. He received $17,000 plus a $2,000 (NMF) scholarship per year and was accepted into SIS. He was not accepted into Honors although he has been accepted into honors programs at all other schools. SIS is a strong program, and I imagine AU does not want all of the honors kids to be from SIS. The $19,000 per year scholarship is very nice but the COA is still quite high.

@CaucAsianDad Mine got phone call yesterday, with the same call center vibe you describe, from a college neither of us had ever heard ofā€¦essentially they just wanted to know if she wanted additional info so i said sureā€¦i found it kind of odd too. (they were happy to talk to me the parent after i said she was unavailable).

we are heading to a semi-local open house this weekend. iā€™m unfamilar with the school but its cheap-ish and in-state with the program my kid wants. i was just telling someone i was sure iā€™d get lost and they saidā€¦ā€œoh, dont worry, you cant miss itā€“it literally pops up in the middle of cornfields.ā€. i sort of wrongly assumed that there was SOME kind of town-lifeā€¦i knew it wasnt urban, but surrounded by cornfields?!

knowing my kid, this will be the tour we sneak out of, or maybe never even start. but iā€™m trying to keep an open mindā€¦ (its so not happening, lol!)

I suspect much of the marketing is aimed at high testers that they believe will be full pay households @crazym0m. This is just based on anecdotal experience of my DD14 and her peers. I read somewhere that zip codes and high schools tip off the marketing folks. Of course, much of it is hit and miss. Did anyone read Frank Bruniā€™s op/ed piece in the NYT? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/opinion/college-admissions-shocker.html?_r=0

Geez. Stalking HS Class of 2016 thread for Ivy day results. Get scared all of a sudden for my D17. She is NOT applying for ivies, but still. I should stay calm and try not to show my fear to my D!!