Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@RightCoaster, Congrats on Northeastern decision. Your efforts and journey ended well.

We are in the same boat with @VickiSoCal and @thinmints. Itā€™s stressful!!!
Congratulations to all who have clear winners already.

@RightCoaster I have one question for your sonā€¦ Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, or Crystal Palace? If he doesnā€™t know the answer, he better figure it out before the Fall because you can only pick ONE.

CHEERS!

@dfbdfb, Congrats on Muhlenberg decision. You have had an interesting few months, and it his nice the story has a great ending. Enjoy

Congratulations to those of you on the other side of the fence!! Is the grass greener over there? I am standing on my tippy-toes but canā€™t see over the top of it yet.

@rightcoaster, congrats to your son! So happy he ended up at NEU!

@VickiSoCal ā€˜These arenā€™t the [color=blue]colleges[/color=blue] youā€™re looking forā€™.

@dfbdfb I donā€™t mind congratulating you again on your daughterā€™s final decision! I guess it makes it more real once the family is told and as I said before, if you need me to help out as parentis loco - count me in. Iā€™m hopeful to find someone like that for my D :slight_smile:

@carlsbadbruin Thatā€™s great! Where is your son leaning toward attending?

@educationfan We put a housing deposit down but no news of potential roommates yet. I think we have quite a while to wait.

@RightCoaster

PACK LIGHT!!

@STEM2017 and @RightCoaster I could be wrong but I think when I was looking at NUin in the early stages, with the freshman program, they were all staying in the Gloucester/South Kensington area (even though they have other locations for other abroad programs.) Thatā€™s just what my memory serves though and I may not be correct. Itā€™s a nice area, I lived there (in a hotel) for a month or two when we first moved to London in 1983. All the museums are right there and itā€™s relatively easy to get around on the circle line.

@RightCoaster and @Fishnlines29

Well if he is staying in the South Kensington area, then CHELSEA FC it is!

The bikeshare program is a great way to get around London now. I rode one from our hotel by Traflagar square all the way to the V and A and checked it back in there. And a bunch of other short hops too.

Yay for decisions! S has decided on OU.
Where we thought heā€™d go: ASU. Where I thought I wanted him to go: Cal Poly. Where he chose: U of Oklahoma.
We are happy he is happy, and thrilled that all he has to do now is figure out all of the tests and surveys the school requires!

Yes, but it takes some getting used to being on the opposite side of the road! Look both ways - right, left right, itā€™s tricky.

They still have the writings on the crosswalks alerting clueless Yanks to look right before crossing.

Except on one way streets where it says Look Left. :slight_smile:

@RightCoaster Congrats to your son. Looking forward to reading about the pickleball craze sweeping London in the Fall.

@mtrosemom Oh wow! Congratulations on your sonā€™s decision! <:-P

This is getting so exciting. Itā€™s really been great watching our kids through this process together!

@STEM2017 and @Fishnlines29 NU dorm/apartment set up in in S. Kensington, home of Chelsea. My kids used to like to watch EPL more than they do now, they were Man U fans for a bit. Now I think they like Real Madrid.

To play it safe, son17 will probably only bring Patriots, Boston Cannons, or NE Revā€™s gear over, so he doesnā€™t mugged by some crazy Chelsea fans. TBH, son17 very rarely wears any team apparel so he should blend in OK.

The location the NU kids is looks pretty nice, lots of museums and things to do within walking distance and a tube station right there. They have a short walk to school, and they building they stay in has a lot of things need like a computer lab, laundry etc.

@mtrosemom congrats on OU! Glad it worked out!!

@RightCoaster Great, thatā€™s what I thought, he will love it! He might just watch a little more over there, itā€™s pretty popular! Did any of his friends commit as well?

I though @RightCoaster was referring to the European Pickleball League :-/

Ha, English pickleball league!!! Great!

He should set up a pickle ball club when heā€™s there for sure. Iā€™ll place an order thru Amazon.iuk for a few set ups. That would probably be great fun for the group!

@Fishnlines29 he said he might have 1 friend going to London, the other friend wants to go to Greece. Not sure if the others. Iā€™m not sure how financial aid works with that program and some kids may need $$ help. Itā€™s not an easy school to afford and the travel portion makes it more pricey.

D. is a long way off from a decision, but the list of possibilities is shrinking.

She is off to visit Vandy, Wash U., Yale, and UChicago, and will possibly do another trip back to for Swat (and others if she gets into Princeton or Harvard ;:wink: )

Depending on how she feels about any/all of the schools on this trip, she may revisit Riceā€¦(and if Davidsonā€™s Belk were to be a possiblity (sheā€™s an alternate), and/or any big FA or merit were to surface anywhere, that would put another wrinkle into the plans)