Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@STEM2017 From what I can see, OSU’s AAE program is not super competitive (for “applying to your major”).

https://mae.osu.edu/undergraduate/aero/major-application

Fun OSU engineering facts:

From Summer 2015 to Spring 2016, OSU awarded 66 AAE BS degrees, with an average GPA of 3.292. (page 56 in the linked document below). The average GPA for all engineering graduates was 3.25 (males averaged 3.24, while females crushed it by averaging 3.33).

AAE engineering average salary (based on 21 offers): $65,983 (page 101)
Average Hourly wages for AAE interns/co-ops, etc. : $15.73 hour

Page 102 has Engineering “Career Outcomes & Work Experience”.
AAE: Career Employment: 45%; Seeking Employment 40%
Mechanical: CE 62%; SE 20%
Total: CE 58%; SE 24%
i*

Top Employers (career and Intern/co-ops) are on page 103.

https://engineering.osu.edu/sites/engineering.osu.edu/files/uploads/annual_report_2016.pdf

@CaucAsianDad Please welcome her to the Gator Nation! :slight_smile:

…was worried that she was going to pick that “other” school! #:-S

Great information @Gator88NE, as always!

This is definitely a relief.

Thank you!

@Gator88NE are you referring to the other school that wins all of their football games? :-j

^Here we go!!!

That’s really all I have @STEM2017 . Ha.

@RightCoaster It was the Honor Program (and the Marching band) at FSU that kept her from going all-in Gator for so long. In the end her academic interests are better served at UF.

@youcee At UF freshman summer enrollment is usually offered to students with “lower academic matches” (my quotes , not sure of the exact criteria used) and does allow a smoother transition to college. My D is just done with HS and wants to start college ASAP. Hanging around the house for one more summer probably not be what she considers a fun time and getting used to the campus during the slower summer should help too.

@RightCoaster That’s it! >:/

So, yes, last fall, we lost a few games, in minor sports (like football, basketball…), but it’s now Spring! We’re 2 to 0 in Baseball (the 3rd and final game in the series is next Tuesday in Tally), and we’ll have a softball game on May 3rd. So going into the Fall, we’re feeling pretty good (unless we find out that we’re still missing a quarterback, kinda need one of those…)

Lol, about this thread starting just over four years ago…I was post #23, on the second page! I posted a bunch in the beginning of the thread, and life got busy I guess, and I didn’t post for a long time! And, our D’17 has changed a lot since then, considering she originally thought about acting - talk about a lottery!)

So - back to a QOTD:
Where she hoped to go: for sure a Jesuit university, preferably Xavier University
Where we hoped she would go: Rockhurst University, or St. Louis University
Where she decided she is going: St. Louis University

She didn’t even want to consider SLU because it’s very close to home, but I told her that she had to apply because it satisfied everything she wanted. I said that after she visited if she didn’t like it we would take it off the list and not look back, but she had to give it a fair shake.

When we met up after her visit (she shadowed a student) I asked what she thought and she said, “I love it!!” She had to wait awhile to hear if she was accepted into their direct-admit nursing program, and fortunately, she was accepted to all four direct-admit nursing programs where she applied. We sent her deposit in March, and she’s super excited. Now all we need to do is get the sweatshirt and car stickers, haha.

I’ve been reading about everyone’s DC the last couple of months, and am clapping congratulations for all of their decisions – y’all’s kids are amazing, and you all are awesome parents :slight_smile:

@our2girls --Congrats on two things:

1. Being the parent and insisting your kid looks past the familiar and pre-conceived notions of their assumptions about a school. Too many parents let these kids who maintain totally unfounded beliefs about schools that really would be a good fit.
  2. The Direct entry nursing school admits!! Those are highly competitive and the fact that she got four of them speaks volumes--she will go far!

Regarding UF, I really do like It there. Very cool place. I thought about going there. I really did like visiting there, but I had to leave my Noles spirit wear at home, lol. I also thought about going to U Miami which I got into but declined the offer. I probably would have loved it there. If I had a kid that wanted to go to school in the south, I think Florida is a great choice. Good schools, lots of school spirit, no pants, fairy easy travel from wherever.

@CT1417 Thank you for noticing my new Cornell/ McGraw Tower avatar and the special treat of sharing the “goodbye” video. It was extremely well done and heartfelt. Your DS13 will be graduating in May? I can only imagine it being a wonderful mix of emotions.

The college years are such a beautiful time in ones life. I’m so excited for all our DC.

@jmek15 That’s a shame there’s no direct route to UVA. So are you rooting for Purdue because of the travel?!

@CaucAsianDad congrats on the UF decision! i like your new avatar. yes, I like @HappyGoLucky2017’s avatar too.

@our2girls congrats on your daughter’s decision!

It seems like many of you are changing the avatars… I like it, shake it up!

@HappyGoLucky2017 – Older one is 2014 & younger one is 2017, hence, my unimaginative name here. So I have one more year to enjoy campus, but I had better look into booking accommodations for graduation so that I do not end up sleeping in the dorm. These years go quickly…

Do any of you have a child that participated in the Intel Science Fair, Google Science Fair etc?

I was thinking of having my younger son look into something like that for a summer project. He’s a sophomore, interested in engineering, design,inventing. He’s going to a camp at RPI for a week, but he has plenty of time to work on some sort of project. Might be good for him. I’m not sure if his school participates in any of these, so he might be on his own.

Just looking for some thoughts, insight etc.

@RightCoaster There’s a discussion that might help…
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/summer-programs/1939430-summer-science-program-2017-p1.html

@our2girls

We know two very happy kids in the direct admit PT program at SLU, one a freshman and one a sophomore. I hope your D will be very happy there too!

And, you’ve got a Seoul Taco! I just tried it at UIUC this last month, and I’m already jonesing for more!

http://www.seoultaco.com/menu-stl.html

This is a fun and current thread you guys might enjoy:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1977222-what-school-was-unexpectedly-your-least-favorite-when-you-visited.html

Wake up everyone!

Hey @STEM2017, just curious how the decision process goes with you and your son. How much is ultimately up to him, how much coercion do you do, is it a collaborative effort, etc? Sounds like you have several schools you’re still considering. Seems like you kind of do it similar to us, where we/I do a lot of the legwork, a little coercion/brainwashing might be involved, but ultimately the financially viable choices are up to the kid.