Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Congrats @ynotgo! Hope its a great experience!

Congratulations to your S @ynotgo! That is quite an accomplishment, and I hope he has a wonderful time.

Yay @ynotgo!! I was hoping he would be accepted. So excited for him! My ds loved every single minute of it. He came home and slept for 3 days straight! Lots of late nights combined with lots of fun. :slight_smile:

Congratulations @Ynotgo!

Awesome news @Ynotgo !

Congrats @Ynotgo !!

Congrats to your son! @Ynotgo

Congrats to your S @Ynotgo! That is a great accomplishment!!!

@morningside95 We were in the cities for 3 1/2 years. DD15 graduated from Chanhassen HS (she hated it) and DD17 attended Chaska HS for 3 years (they bused her there as an 8th grader) and she LOVED it. I donā€™t miss the MN winters and a few other things, but I really miss the schools!

Congrats to your S @Ynotgo! My D11 and her BF are both students there and we are local. The BF is a physics grad student, but not in astrophysics. The physics department is excellent (which Iā€™m sure you already know!) Let me know if you or your S have any questions about CU or Boulder.

Woo hoo @Ynotgo

UPitt visited Ds school today. She and 4 others had 2 admins to talk to. Itā€™s high on our (my) list, so that was a nice bonus. D liked the info she got a lot, and wants to visit. Iā€™ve read not to expect too much from the honors presentation. :))

@2muchquan Pitt was pretty high on Dā€™s list until she realized that their International and Area Studies major (?) was called a dual major, requiring a double major in a different field. Arabic only has a minorā€¦so bye bye, Pitt!

Thatā€™s awesome @Ynotgo; SSP is difficult to get you so I can see why your DS picks it over Yale program. BTW, what is the Yale summer program?
What is your childā€™s research area at SSP?

@4beardolls SSP doesnā€™t have separate research areas like RSI or other programs where you go to a university and work with a professor on a research topic. All the kids learn astrophysics-related stuff and how to collect orbital data about an asteroid and calculate the orbit of the asteroid based on the observations.

The Yale program was Yale Summer Program in Astrophysics, which I learned about on the Summer Programs forum here. It is new this year and is started by an alum of SSP. I donā€™t know for sure, but it sounds like will be more computer science focused, but with the same asteroid orbit determination goal.

@snoozn Thanks. We went through Boulder last spring break, but mainly to hike. We did national parks and other scenic stuff in CO and had a great trip. My husband collaborates with someone at CU Boulder, but I donā€™t know who.

Another parent concerned about kid missing school days before AP exams, for a national compettion :-<
Also, too bad they donā€™t tour the local colleges while on these trips.

@WhereIsMyKindle D is looking at a Neuroscience major. Pitt has their own Neuro Dept, not a program with faculty in Bio and Psych. One of the top in the nation. The urban campus is a plus, too.

congratulations @Ynotgo!

Ours do :). Auburn is now on D17ā€™s list because H was there with younger D doing the FIRST robotics and they both thought it was worth a look for D17.

The one time we didnā€™t tour colleges was when we were in Omaha, NE for a robotics championship two years ago. We drove all the way up from Atlanta to NE in a big RV (never again, omg). The midwest is just not our happy place.

We had considered stopping at WUStL and Vanderbilt, but by the time we were headed back (with a trophy!) we were all just exhausted (and older D did not like Missouri at all) and drove straight through to the RV place to bring it back.

We were going to look at Stanford and Berkeley when we were out in San Fran, but the aforementioned heat wave nixed that area as well (plus I think she decided it really was too far away).

Is Nebraska really considered part of the Midwest? :))

It is soooooooo different than Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohioā€¦I actually donā€™t know for sure which states make up the Midwest, but I know Iā€™m in one.