Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

My kids’ challenge with the UC/CS gpa calculation is they took WAY more than 8 semesters of AP’s and got B’s in some of them.

Which hurts. A lot.

Mine too @VickiSoCal the 8 semesters killed us, D17 took a lot of rigor… but wasn’t perfect. For some classes it would have served her well to take the regular class and get an A.

@soxmom - sorry about all of the travel snafus. I live about 20 minutes from Georgetown and I can vouch for the horrific weather here today. On the other hand, we were flying to Hartford yesterday (to revisit Mt Holyoke) and were delayed two hours because a seat on the plane was broken :((

@socalmom007 I like the Seattle twist! More to come on that I’m sure :slight_smile:

@JenJenJenJen Thanks for the flash forward, that does put some perspective on it. I think my hesitation lies with if there are boys and girls there, hmmm, and then what happens over the summer? All of a sudden I’m ok with coed sleepovers? I know I can’t control that when she goes off to college, but is it ok to look the other way now?

@borgdoctor Congratulations on committing to Stony Brook! Also, thanks for the joke of the day, I needed that!

Regarding USNWR rankings @stem2017 When eyemgh said:

There actually is a separate section for undergrad engineering rankings, it’s just a little harder to find on their site.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/engineering-no-doctorate

May be we should use this one.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/undergraduate-teaching

@RightCoaster

Our school requires 5 credits in this category and it can be art, music theory, band, choir, orchestra, computer graphics, pottery, music production, that kind of thing!      Oh and I second @jmek15  idea that it's time to tour the coastline!  We did that and it was great.  We went on about 3-4 actual college tours and then just drove through some of the other UC campuses.  We also drove by CalTech and had lunch in SLO!  D only applied to UCLA, Cal and UCSD. 

@soxmom Oh no! How frustrating. I hope it all goes well tomorrow!

@STEM2017

ME TOO!!! :)>-

Unfortunately, Google Street View won’t let you walk down the alley visible from 733.5 Higuera St, San Luis Obispo. So, you can just Google “Bubblegum Alley.”

The problem with that list @srk2017 is that it only ranks national universities, schools aren’t considered in the national university rankings if they don’t offer phd’s. Cal Poly is part of their regional west designation.

@Fishnlines29 The undergraduate engineering rankings are heavily influenced by folks opinions of that schools graduate school (and research). How much does a engineering dean at UCSD know about VT’s undergraduate program? The dean (who’s completing the survey) may know several professors at VT, but mostly through their reputations as researchers.

The faculty to student ratios, class sizes, the breath and depth of course offerings, etc., are all not considered.

I find the rankings useful, but take them for what they are, an opinion survey.

Lord help me if our beloved Parents thread turns into a ranking argument thread.

@STEM2017 I agree. Have we started building dorm mountain (stuff to take to college) yet? (Changing the subject.)

We haven’t started on dorm stuff–still no decision. His admitted student trips are April 20-22 and April 23-25.

@STEM I only talk about top ranked schools when I realize my kids have no chance of getting in, LOL.

@Ynotgo we will not be building a dorm mountain because I think son17 is only going to take a few suitcases over to London. He’ll have to go shopping when he gets there, or order stuff from amazon.uk. It’s so great!!!

@RightCoaster it looks like there’s an amazon.fr too, but I’m thinking we can just use the Amazon US account?!

Hmmm…I was a part of the big Alabama discussion, and appear to have started the Cal Poly discussion. There’s pressure on me now—I must plan my next campus threadjack carefully. :-?

S was just awarded a Discovery Fellows Scholarship from ASU. I think it’s $5,000. Not too shabby.

Maybe ASU is back in play.

:-??

@STEM2017 your brilliant strategy of withholding any type of decision seems to be paying off! :smiley:

Does it actually work like that, ever? Do schools ever offer some merit $$ towards accepted kids as the May 1 deadline inches closer?

@socalmom007 happy to answer anything I can about Seattle U. My father taught there for years, I grew up on that campus. H got his MBA there and I know several kids there now and recent graduates.

Very well respected locally. Very urban.

@dfbdfb SD14 is at Cal Poly SLO. She received a small scholarship through her college and according to her it’s a “standard” OOS amount that “everyone” gets but I don’t think that is necessarily true. It is a small amount though but it helps, as does the fact that tuition has had minimal increases during her time there. I agree, for OOS “full pay” it’s not all that bad.

@RightCoaster SD14 is a biology major at SLO so I can speak to that and her friends experiences but not a lot beyond that. It’s a top choice for a close friends S who did get into their CS program but he hasn’t made his final choice yet.

@youcee is correct on the fine arts requirement. UW has one as well.

However to be clear, that is the boys soccer team. The girls club soccer (of which I have a vested interest in lol) does quite well as well! The SLO/UCSB boys game is THE sporting event of the year.

@soxmom UGH. I hope the travels improve

@STEM2017 Congrats! Not shabby at all.

@STEM2017 Congratulations, he apparently possesses an inner drive according to ASU.

On a different topic, the worrywarts that we are, we’re already trying to figure out how we will move two kids into different schools on the same weekend (maybe the same day). May have to split parental duties. I doubt we’ll be able to fit everything into one vehicle, although if we can, one school is on the way to the other.

@youcee NO!!! You can’t split duties.

Their first move-in day is a lifetime right of passage. You both have to find a way to be there for both DC.

Don’t you want to cry twice?