Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@robNNN
DC went to Visitas and found all the students to be so warm and accepting. Had so much fun! A real variety of people from the d and d kids, rugby, ballroom dancing, accappella, satire club, Asian club, half Asian club… something for everyone. Loved the classes attended from myth and folklore, economics and chemistry. Went to a party people were having fun without being stupid. Lots of good!

So @toomuchcoin and @whatsally aren’t the same person? Now I’m confused! :-/

My daughter, her b/f, my s/o and I just had a great laugh together taking this linguistics quiz. It was dead on for us and we could not stop laughing.

Since we’re all friends here from different parts of the country, I thought it might be fun to share!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=1&

It’s prom night and we have pouring rain and high winds. Fortunately for D17 and friends, she also has a mother who works in a museum! I opened it up after hours and we were able to get plenty of photos with great backgrounds. Best of all, everyone stayed dry.

@HappyGoLucky2017 Nope :))

DD put the deposit down at BC today. Decided to go with fit over program. The right choice for her since I see her changing majors a few times the next 4 years. I can’t figure out how to make an avatar w/ both Colgate(DS) and BC. Help!

Congrats @Calimom3! D also hit submit on the deposit for BC today! It was a tough choice, but it’s where both we and she feel she will be happiest for 4 years.

@LoveTheBard - D had a very nice hostess and thought it was exciting that the prefresh were welcomed by the Stanford marching band. She was bummed not to be able to get into the Melinda Gates speech as it was at capacity when she arrived. I am not sure what D actually ended up attending while there other than a BBQ last night. I do know that she walked over 28K steps yesterday and got lost while trying to meet up with someone. She has no idea how she is going to pick a school in the next 50 hours. Has your daughter made any progress with her decision?

Congratulations @soxmom @WhatSally @Amkngk @dustypig @nocturne21 @Calimom3 ! <:-P <:-P <:-P

Congrats to everyone making those last minute decisions! Support to those still considering their options.

Peer pressure was too strong and I’ve given in and reset my avatar. I’ve been quite busy, but in the meantime, D’17 was accepted in the Thematic Option, one of USC’s honors programs. So now I can really say no more essays! And I didn’t have to edit any of the 6 essays!

She has also found a roommate. Google maps shows that USC is 2025 miles away, but D’17 has found a roommate who lives 10 minutes away.

And in humble-brag news, D’17’s found a prom dress that she really likes on sale for $60. DW and I had internally set a budget for around $350, but she shows her low maintenance side again. She tried on about 25, apparently, but really wanted the 2nd least expensive.

So two weeks of AP tests, only taking 4 of the 6 classes, and then prom. Two more weeks and then I am the parent of two college students and one high-schooler.

Congrats on Thematic Options @Dave_N. It sounded like a great program!

@Testingearly - Last I heard, D was leaning towards Stanford, with Yale still occasionally rearing its head. She has been at a competition and not thinking much about college – high school for that matter. Is it down to Yale vs. Stanford for your D or are there other schools in the mix?

Glad to hear that your D had a better host this time (btw, you need to get your Stanford lingo down – your D is a ProFro (not a prefresh; her hostess was a RoHo; she may or may not have gone to the CoHo (coffee house) or stayed in FloMo (Florence Moore dorm complex). Here’s a cheat sheet:

https://sites.google.com/site/wiwikb4stanford/home/stanford-slang-and-cardinal-culture#TOC-Stanford-lingo

Oh, and the Leland Stanford Junior Marching Band is like none other:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rf87XTlsNY

Congrats to all those with decisions, and courage to those without…Congrats to your D on TO, @Dave_N – it looks like a great program!

@NerdMom88 What a fun idea for a prom after party!!

@Calimom3 and @nocturne21 Congratulations on the BC decision! <:-P

@Calimom3 I used “Paint” (which you probably have on your computer) to combine 3 pictures for my avatar. I had little patience so my proportions are off, but it’s doable if you play with it a little!

@Testingearly Oh my gosh, she must be getting nervous! I’m sending some ‘clarity waves’ your way! I’ve heard that Amethyst crystals can help with decision making if you have any in the house - maybe in the form of jewelry or something!!

@Dave_N Congrats on the honors program and I like the new avatar! I can relate to the frugality of our kids. It makes me happy when my D displays this trait and will make me feel much less annoyed when I have to write the ginormous check for her tuition!

@LoveTheBard Excited to hear which coast your D decides to make her home!

Good luck with all other decisions today! I’m sending ‘clarity vibes’ out to the group. Or, as I mentioned above, get some amethyst crystals in your DC’s hands if you can!!

Is it really April 30th?

Changed my picture as we are in the sunset of decision making. Good luck to those making them in the last hours.
Take a deep breath you are in the home stretch :(( :((

Got my new avatar. My dc is going to college and I finally figured out how to set up my avatar! Hopefully I’ll remember how to change it in 7 years for dc 2.

Okay, testing our my new “H” for Hamilton-ized Cthulhu icon - courtesy of @MotherOfDragons and @Ynotgo - thank you for getting me all up to date. :smiley:

@thermom There should be a “love” button for that avatar.

In other news, D’s school had their “college t-shirt” day on Friday since there are AP tests starting Monday. At her school, many of the classes wear their class AP shirts on test day.

A few students still deciding had t-shirts for school 1 and hats for school 2. One person changed during the day. I know some here have said it might lead to hard feelings, but it sounded like most people enjoyed it. The school provides a small breakfast (bagels and doughnuts). Even the early bird AP classes are excused for a little while. (Although D was a bit miffed because AP Physics C got 15 more minutes than her AP Chem class)

Class AP shirts? Is that a widespread thing?