Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Mine had a horrible time deciding between her final three. She seems more than happy now.

She’s planning a trip to Invernes for Fall Break week after next with 7 girls.

I was a little worried mine would not enjoy being in Kansas. It was a state he had never even been to before we visited. (Colorado State was his “dream college” but didn’t offer the opportunities Kansas State did for him). He absolutely loves it there. He made friends even faster than I imagined. His grades are great and He seems super happy. The other day he told me the only thing that would be better was to take Kansas State, everyone there, everything there and move it all to Fort Collins. He says the teachers and students are all amazingly friendly and helpful. He didn’t have any trouble at all being 1200 miles away from home!

My daughter is not at her dream school. I don’t really think such things exist. But she is very happy at this point. Going as well as anyone could hope. So far. Fingers crossed.

I would definitely say that my D is indeed at her dream school (although she didn’t know that it was her dream school until she saw it for the first time after acceptances were out; she had had a different dream that she woke up from once she actually saw the place). Dreams are what you make of them.

@CaucAsianDad Glad to see your daughter has been fully assimilated by the Borg Gator Nation Collective. :-bd

Her unique distinctiveness has been be added to our own. Resistance is futile and all that jazz…

As first year students, if our kids start developing a circle of friends, they are much more likely to be happy with their choice of college. It’s one reason I’ve push both DD14 and DS17 to get involved in clubs, design teams, etc. DD14 is having the time of her life with her engineering sorority(Phi Sigma Rho) friends, while we’ll need to wait an see how things work out for DS17, but he seems happy.

Of course, both kids are also happy to be out of the house and on their own! Freedom from the parental units! :slight_smile:

@momocarly I forgot there was another KSU parent on here. My D14 is in her fourth and final year there and has loved her experience. Assuming she finds a job outside of that area, we’ll really miss visiting Manhattan.

Son17 made it back from his mini euro world tour and it seems like it went off without a hitch. We have secretly seen a few social media pics that tag him with his group and they are all holding giant steins of beer. I think the kids have learned to enjoy the adult freedoms without getting into trouble, which is a good life lesson. vs going to a kegger, downing a bunch of jaegermesiter and passing out.

So excited. Just realized that the dance my son is in is being streamed live on You-Tube so I get to see him!! (homecoming thing).

my D17 just called. We are from the South and she is in school in DC. She told me that it got cold and now she wnats to transfer to Miami :slight_smile: :).

@sdl0625 I’d send her some long underwear in the mail, might be cheaper lol . She’ll stay warmer. Part of dealing with the cold is just knowing how to dress for it. I spend a lot of time outdoors in frigid temps and the right base layer and layering techniques can drastically improve comfort levels. it’s also a bit of mind over matter too.

She did understand that it gets cold in DC about this time, right? :slight_smile: I could understand if there was an unusual cold spell. But not the normal changing of the seasons.

My daughter went south for college. I know she will miss the snow this winter.

@sdl0625 - remind her to dress in layers, as many building get overheated in the winter. It has been a strange fall in the mid-Atlantic/North East this year. A few nights have been chilly, but overall warmer than usual.

@saillakeerie I went from New England to the south. I did not miss the snow (but was home for winter break every year, so got my fill of cold/snow then).

D17 is in California and swears she will not miss the cold and snow. She did complain a little that is was like an oven on Monday. A dry 105 is 105. She feels sorry for the freshman in dorms without AC.

But not so sorry, she would switch.

We have a lax tournament this weekend. First game temps are predicted to be between 28 and 32. Small chance of snow flurries.

She’s never coming back, is she?

@Dave_N My D17 grew up in lovely, non-humid, warm SoCal and is now at Colorado College…the first time it dropped below 32F, I got a series of photos texted to me of her bundled up, wadded up Kleenex by nose, watery eyes and shell-shocked face, haha!

My D17 is itchy for snow, and has had enough of temperatures above 75F for a lifetime.

Weather is weird.

FAFSA IRS data retrieval tool not working! :((

People sometimes have issues with the address. Did you enter it exactly the same as on the tax return?

<p>@mommdc exactly as it was on tax return. I finally gave up and entered the information in myself. Printed and saved a non submitted copy
Will try again today and see if I have better luck.</p>

<p>Do you have a PO Box address?</p>

<p>We did DRT for me and two kids two weeks ago, no problems.</p>