Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Buen trabajo @MotherOfDragons! I know how hard it is to learn a new language at our age. Working on basic french and I want to pronounce everything with a Spanish accent.

So Ds received a thick envelope from George Mason University inviting him to participate in the Global Young Leaders Conference. I’m a bit confused as usually I pitch this type of mail, but the intro letter is written by the GMU dean of admissions. So confused. Anyone know what this is? Have no idea how son got on the mailing list.

@Agentninetynine we received the same thick envelope and I tossed it. Not sure how S got it either though it did reference his HS if I recall correctly. It was a month or so ago. If memory serves it sounded semi cool but very very pricey. We seem to get a random few of those a year though usually they are being housed at a college closer to us lol. I generally think of those as ridiculously expensive summer camps.

@Agentninetynine, if you are curious about the program, Google it and see what the reviews are. That should let you know if it is truly special or just one of those programs that costs a lot of money and uses the College name because it 'leases" space for the summer program.

No doubt it will end up in the round file as the conference is $3k to attend. So many of these are scams so I’m boggling at why George Mason would attach themselves to this kind of thing.

ETA: Rethinking George Mason U. As I mentioned it includes a letter from the Dean of Admissions. Shifty…

East Coast tour.

Bryn Mawr:

We registered for the info session and tour in March. One week before the registered date, after all the trip plans were carefully made, they contacted and said, “Oh, that day is admitted student day so we won’t have the regular info session or campus tour. Please come on a different date.” NO!! We cannot come on the different date unless you pay our flight cancellation fee!! It was infuriating. We did visit and did the self-guided tour.

At the admission office, we told them we wanted to do the self-guided tour. Maybe because “interest was not considered”, they didn’t even take D’s name. They told us to take whatever maps and brochures we wanted and go ahead. There was this nice student who wanted to help us collecting the brochures but somehow she was stopped from helping us. I don’t know why. The admission looked snooty and not welcoming at all.

I scored one free postcard from admission office and one from the campus center. Postcard was 50 cents plus tax.
(It’s my self-created tradition to buy college postcards and send them to my mother and mother-in-law on the road)

We loved the campus anyways. It was quiet but Villanova and Haverford are one station away in each direction, so I guess it’s OK. The only thing my D hates is that the students have to pass the swimming test to graduate. She cannot swim…

Barnard:

Great tour and great info session. Info session was all about how to apply and what kind of person they were looking for. Good energy throughout. We wanted to see the dorm rooms but they didn’t show us. I think my D will ED here for sure.

No postcards. Well, they had Barnard greeting cards but I wanted postcards! Ended up picking up random NYC postcards for my mothers.

Wellesley:

We were too tired to do the 9am info session so we decided to tour at 11am. I assumed that the commuter trains run often. It turned out that the trains run only twice an hour so we arrived at the school too late to join the tour. We did self-guided tour. The buildings were gorgeous but sparce and there was no big green quad I expected. People were nice and friendly. I didn’t get any intense vibe but it was awfully quiet.

Too isolated for my D who loves people and busy streets. She said she’s not going to apply.
Good selection of postcards. That made me happy but they were expensive. $1.50 each. Oh, their bookstore was full of Hillary Clinton and Madeleine Albright books!!

Brandeis:

One and only co-ed university on this tour!
Boys’ presence made the atmosphere very different from women’s colleges. While resting on the green grass, we overheard the group of girls gossipping about other girls harshly. We moved to the student center and sat at the cafe. One boy was talking and laughing like Beavis and Butt-head. Oh dear.

Info session was good but they spent mostly on the history of Brandeis. Very different session from Barnard.
Tour guide was a vibrant woman who kept saying, “Sweeeet!!” The dorm we looked at had separate bathrooms for men and women which my D really liked.

It was like any other mainstream universities you see everywhere. Nothing stood out for me but my D liked it enough to keep in the list.

No school postcard. So I bought Harvard postcards when we visited there for fun afterwards. My mothers would be surprised! They were only 75 cents each!!

@greeny8 ,
“she told me to back off with the nagging and I did and subsequently she did nothing to prepare.”

^ this!!

My D is aiming for one school ED also, but I’m making her prepare for at least five more - one reach, two maybe, two safeties.

Yeah, I hear you @HiToWaMom. I would use your leverage about wanting to apply ED to Barnard to let her know she needs to bring up her Math score. We haven’t looked there, but isn’t it really difficult to get in?

My son finally checked his ACT account to see if writing had posted and it was there - a 23 ouch! I knew it wasn’t going to be great, but I was hoping for better. He doesn’t care and is done with the ACT anyway, and we will just assume colleges aren’t going to pay much attention to the score.

On the college mail front he got a birthday card from Alabama, which is the first birthday acknowledgement he has received.

I am loving reading these visit reports, thanks @HiToWaMom and @eandesmom. We don’t have any visits planned for the spring, but it is nice to hear about others trips.

@2muchquan , Barnard’s regular decision acceptance rate is around 19 or 20% and ED acceptance rate is around 40%. Her ACTcomposite was pretty good but that math score… Yes, she has a very good reason to study for it if she really wants to pursue Barnard.

S will not be applying ED anywhere as we are in the “chasing merit” club because we fit firmly into the doughnut hole. I envy the kids who are able to apply ED and get in. Their senior stress is done…

Right there with ya @mtrosemom ! But we still have EA!!

I love EA. :x :x D15 applied EA to as many schools as allowed it and had those lovely acceptance letters in hand before Christmas. It felt good. She also had one excellent scholarship to go with one of the lower tier schools she was accepted to. She was thrilled she didn’t have to apply to our local U because it just didn’t fit her.

EA! EA! EA! Now the hard part is going to be getting her to love one or two or three of them enough to apply early.

I’m hoping she’ll have a magical summer at nerd camp and come back with a head full of possible colleges and champing to fill out the common app (I’m snorting as I write this). I’m making an effort not to use the C word for the next 24 days :), just to give her a bit of a break.

@caroldanvers bummer about the ACT score not being what you hoped-was that the first time he took it? Did he take the SAT too?

@caroldanvers My dd had very low ACT writing scores (twice) in comparison with her composite scores. I told her not to worry about them. If a school pays more attention to artificial writing instead of (equally artificial multiple choice lol) English and reading sections, then that’s a school she doesn’t want to attend!

I cannot wait for APs to be over. That is all.

Rolling admissions means that they can often have acceptance letters within a couple of weeks. :slight_smile:

seems like most kids are getting low ACT writing scores. My S got 31 in September. So far his was the highest @ the competitive public school. Some kids scores are getting revised up when they ask for re-score. Those who are aiming for top schools are applying for re-scoring.

I think my son’s low writing score is probably deserved, at least based on what they are looking for. He is a decent writer with time and multiple drafts, but he tends to write too bare bones on his first draft and needs to go back and expand and add detail, which the format of the ACT doesn’t allow. I actually used to grade ACT essays (the older format), so I have a pretty good idea of how it works. He did two sample prompts for me in the weeks before the test, and the first time I’d have said it was mid 20s, and the second was low 20s. I was hoping I was being unduely harsh in evaluating his writing, but I guess not. I wish they’d kept the old scoring, 8 out of 12 doesn’t sound as bad as 23 out of 36, even though they scale to the same thing!

I don’t think it will matter, because his much higher composite is what colleges will look at. The writing scores are out of sync for lots of kids since they changed the scoring.

@HiToWaMom my D will also apply to our flagship state school and at least one target EA, and then who knows. She’s not worrying about it now. She’s just trying to get past the 5 AP tests in the next few weeks and then finals. But since I have free time and I love doing it, I will happily do a bunch of the research for her.

@WhereIsMyKindle Don’t forget that schools also have the CA essay and/or supplement to look at in addition to the SAT/ACT sections. I really don’t think the Writing section carries a lot of weight.

@srk2017 31 is a pretty nice score. I’m happy with Ds 29!