Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

We are in southern NY & see deer, groundhogs, bunnies-- they live in our yard and neighborhood, Robins are sitting on nests they formed on our rose bushes and garden structures. Lots of chipmunks and squirrels who think they own the place. Hoping to see a fox - not a bear or coyote (though stories of them are becoming more common) - soon!

My DS has exec functioning challenges - very smart but not good at planning long-term projects (e.g. major papers) or studying for major exams - it is a concern for sure. Has managed - with help, some accommodations and mom’s active oversight - to get strong grades and standardized test scores and enjoys some ECs, but I think he would benefit from a college setting where he can get to know professors, access some assistance when needed etc. as it will be a HUGE transition for him. And hopefully he will not have many humanities requirements - he is STEM (wants EECS) all the way - but is not a 24/7 worker - needs downtime so will try to steer him away from total pressure cooker environments. Our spreadsheets are not populated with a long list of schools that seem like great matches but a few “good” possibilities - lots more due diligence to do. He will need interview coaching and essay / supp. writing help to get college apps done - but no major programs this summer so hopefully can make good progress, even though he has an internship, science research project, physics 2 self-study (his choice to gear up for Physics C) & SAT-Physics to prep for and am sure lots of AP assignments. Can’t wait till all the hurdles have been jumped - college app. process is grueling. For now through just focused on the next 2 weeks - 3 APs, 2 major final exams, 1 long paper, etc.

@ca1543 Have you investigated schools with really strong on-campus supports? Our 24 yos is a high IQ autistic with pretty major EF deficits. Programs like WKU’s KAP http://www.wku.edu/kellyautismprogram/collegeandcircleofsupport.php have amazing levels of support. I am not sure what is out there for just EF issues, but I am sure there are programs. Or having him at home or attend a school nearby?

Making the transition to adulthood for these kids can be a serious struggle. (Definitely has been for our ds.) Their path may need to be very different from all the other kids they know. That is ok. They may mature at a very different rate and their journey to adulthood may be unique. That is OK, too.

Put blinders on in terms of what everyone else is doing and focus on your son’s unique level of needs.

As to bugs and wildlife
here in rural NY we have the usual mosquitos, gnats and ticks, and indoors, house centipedes rather than roaches. (I hate them both!) When our friends bring their kids here from Colorado, though, the kids get a little freaked out at the biting insects because apparently they have none there. But they’re fine with the cougars that live on their mountain, lol.

We have tons and tons of deer (delicious :wink: ), along with foxes, bears, and the occasional bobcat. Someone said they saw a fisher but that’s yet to be confirmed. We’re near a river so we see bald eagles a lot too. I enjoy it all.

@snoozn thanks for feedback on Clarkson. I think my son would do OK there. We plan to investigate more.

Wildlife? Pigeons, rats, raccoons, opossum, squirrels, seagulls (nasty too). Pretty much vermine-central.

I touched on this earlier. Anyone have a school that’s been known to ask for a list of books read?

@2muchquan I have never heard of a college reading list. Now I am interested in who requires it.

@2muchquan I can’t recall which ones, but several HYPSM schools had a question or two about books, websites, music, concert performances, etc.

They required only a list.

@2muchquan, D15 applied to a couple of top tier LACs that had supplements that included lists of books. Davidson College and Washington and Lee come to mind. That was a challenge to remember what she read because she is a voracious reader.

We live in a high desert environment and don’t really have bugs (my S was the kid who has NO BUGS on his school list). We moved from east Tennessee where there are bugs a plenty. It was nice to not need a screened porch to enjoy the warm summer nights. We do have yellow jackets, spiders, ants, and sometime scorpions (are they bugs?). We also have coyote, bobcats, deer, raccoon, bear , owls hawks, various snakes, and an occasional mountain lion (I have never seen one #:-S). I don’t miss cockroaches, gnats, ticks, etc.

Our kids as well. Remind me to write down all the titles of the books before I donate them to the library from now on!

We had to cut down two trees to get the squirrels out of our attic recently. I think we have just about everything in Georgia, including mosquitoes that buzz and ones that don’t (ugh hate those!). My across the street neighbor had a major freak out yesterday when a 5 foot rat snake shed its skin on her driveway. I don’t have snake issues, so I went and picked it up and threw it in my trash for her. She had major heebie jeebies. If I could catch the snake I’d bring it over to my yard because I’m currently dealing with a major chipmunk infestation.

We caught a chipmunk iin a havahart trap last year, brought it to the park about 5 miles away, let it free, and watched a hawk promptly land on it and fly off with it. My husband thought that was the funniest story he’d ever heard, lol.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek Thanks for your suggestions - appreciate them Yes I am hoping he will mature in college and also not overload himself (he has no free periods and often has lunch time course related obligations and 2-3 days a week starts classes at 7am. Not enough sleep. He is weaned off direct services now but has accommodations that are invaluable. But college will be different - I am hoping he’ll be few a few hours away - can gain independence, take more ownership and geek out with his EECS stuff – and hopefully still play music some (plays strings). RIT could be fallback if needed and it seems that more schools have good supports too – just need to have some good options - hard to tell exactly how much he’ll develop bt now and the start of college but he has had dramatic improvement from 9th to 11th grade so hopefully it will continue. I know though that some of his underlying traits, habits and underdeveloped adaptive behavior skills will no doubt remain challenging to manage and the expectations and the big change in structure from HS to college for courses, homework and tests as well as navigating social and recreational time will require him to adapt and take more responsibility - but he has been away 3 summers in academic programs, and on many school trips, some competitions etc. so hope to build on all of this too.

@mtrosemom I looked back at my notes, and it was in fact Davidson that I was thinking about that ask for a list of books, although some others ask about ‘favorite’ book read. D used to read for pleasure, but just can’t fit it in anymore, so maybe it’s a good thing Davidson came off her list.

I picked up a book “Neuroscience for Dummies” at Amazon for D. I wonder how that would look on the list?

Just picked up sons tux for Prom this weekend. It’s going to be a long day for him. Has to be up early AM to catch a bus to a lacrosse game, come home, shower and change, off to Prom dinner, then to after prom party until 5 am. Whoa, that’s going to be a long day. It’s good to be young.

@ca1543 it sounds like he has developed a lot of coping strategies. I hope you find a good fit for his strengths and weaknesses.

Parenting adult children is a heck of a lot harder than little ones. Decisions can be life-altering. Some days it is just daunting.

I have a question about grading in AP classes.

My D’s Physic I teacher gave the class a two day exam made up of sample AP test questions. My D got 78% correct, which is great considering it should take about 70-75% correct to score a 5, a 3 gets her college credit for Physics w/lab at the State U.

Now here is my issue, the test score was recorded in the grade book as an exam with a score of 78%. This tanked her 95% average and she will be lucky to pull an A in the class, yet it looks like she might score a 5 on the exam.

The Physics teacher is not only teacher to do this, in fact all but one teacher has or will give an AP exam practice exam and record the raw score in the grade book. One teacher converts the raw score to the numerical score and gives an A for a 5, and B for a 4 and so on, this seems more appropriate.

Is it typical? I am afraid the teachers are willing to hurt GPAs to motive kids to score higher on the AP exam. Schools are ranked partially by AP pass rates, not GPAs.

Re: Study groups and difficulty of college
My kid has not learned to ask for help or to work in study groups. It makes Spanish difficult for him, because no one at home can help and it doesn’t come so naturally to him. I’ve offered to find a tutor, but get the “smart kids don’t have tutors” response. Working in study groups is a goal he wrote down for the summer program he’s attending. (They asked for goals, and they say that study groups are necessary to complete the problem sets.) He doesn’t think there are many study groups at his school aside from boy/girlfriend “let’s study together” things. But, he’s not so clued into these things and doesn’t need them for most classes.

He does know that college will be more difficult than HS, because he talks with friends at Caltech and other places. (But one is ridiculously accelerated in math and physics even for Caltech.) Pretty sure one friend will choose MIT within the next 3 days, so he’ll have reports about course difficulty from there also.

Re: Grades
We need to decide if we should do anything about DC21’s grades beyond nagging and some removal of electronic devices. S/he had two Fs but has brought one up to an A-/B+ because the teacher doesn’t penalize for late work. The other F is now a D because the teacher deducts for late work (several other issues with that teacher, but I won’t go into detail). I haven’t pushed that much about Bs, since DC is a different child than DS.

Re: ACT
@greeny8 Did her ACT superscore go up? Some colleges superscore or at least look at the highest subscore in areas of interest.

Re: Animals
Here in coastal CA, we normally place 2nd for number of species in the annual Audubon bird count. We have the normal mammals like raccoons, skunks (lots), opossums, coyotes, occasional bobcats, and with the drought a very occasional mountain lion (or whatever your area of the country calls them) will come down from the mountains and have to be relocated farther away. Rattlesnakes are not completely uncommon if you go hiking on certain trails when it’s warm. There are also a few black bears in the backcountry, but it is very rare for them to be on the coast side of the hills. There are a lot of insects we are seeing fewer of because of the drought. NoCal got plenty of rain this winter, but we didn’t.

@dfbdfb We had a nice trip to Alaska last August, and saw numerous large mammals in Denali National Park.

Re: Reading
I should tell DS to keep a list. Do Dungeons and Dragons manuals count? It would be interesting to know what colleges on his list ask on applications along these lines, so he could try to remember.

@CaucAsianDad, my daughter’s Calc BC is doing the same thing. In fairness though, they’ve adjusted the grading scale for this grading period:

This period:
A+ 95.000
A 90.000
A- 85.000
B+ 82.000
B 78.000
B- 75.000
C+ 72.000
C 68.000
C- 65.000
D+ 62.000
D 58.000
D- 55.000
F 0.000

Normal:
A+ 97.500
A 92.500
A- 89.500
B+ 86.500
B 81.500
B- 78.500
C+ 75.500
C 70.500
C- 67.500
D+ 64.500
D 59.500
D- 56.500
F 0.000

Depends on the grading scheme for the class. The 90–100%=A scheme isn’t universal, and even where it’s held to, there may be a curve of some sort applied that changes things a bit. (For example—though this is a college class, not high school—I’m teaching a class right now that assigns an A to final scores of 90–100% but where, pending what my students do on a couple tiny little end-of-semester assignments, due to the curve an A looks to actually be effectively a grade of 81 or 82–100% pre-curve.)

TL;DR: She should ask the teacher about it, non-confrontationally.

p.s. I know of no system where either AP pass rates or GPAs are used to rank high schools.

@CaucAsianDad My D’s teachers are all giving mock AP exams this week. (My poor D is seriously sleep deprived as a result of prepping). All her teachers are doing the same thing as your D’s physics teacher, which I don’t understand. They are using raw score as a major test grade, and some are using it as the final. So my D has been busting her butt to get A’s on them. I agree that it is unfair given that AP exams don’t require 90% on the MC section to get a 5 on any test.

@MotherOfDragons That is too funny!

Interesting about AP scoring. I just got a text this morning that D got 82% on MC for AP Lit practice, and she seemed happy about that. I was like, OK, whatever (no, I told her ‘wonderful!’ of course). Now I’m wondering about the same thing, @CaucAsianDad.