Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

I tried that HTML code on something else and it just showed the code in my post so haven’t bothered again lol. Thanks on the FRQ!

Precisely this. My class of 2017 kid is pretty solidly high-stats, but if any of you end up seeing me once I get around to posting on the class of 2019 parents thread, well, I’ll just say that things will look quite a bit different there!

I have a 2017 D and a 2020 S. Obviously S hasn’t started hs yet, but I already know his trajectory is going to be very different. Oh well, I look forward to watching his adventure just as much as I am enjoying (and struggling through) D’s!

@srk2017 good luck and positive wishes sent your way!

Goodness, my kids are all so different. I have an autistic adult child who works at Goodwil as a donor greeter ( and had completed 60 hrs with a 3.8 gpa when he dropped out of college), an adult dd who has a 2 yr Allied Health degree and is an OTA, and my 10 yr old insists she isnt going to go to college, only culinary school. (And my 6 yr old is so freaky smart, she just scares me! :wink: )

Yup, very different S17 and S19 here, but both are science/mathy.

I guess having two physics majors as parents removed diversity from genes.

This is helpful for NMSFers.

You can send a past SAT test score (necessary for qualification) to NMSC using free reporting service when your C takes Subject test in May or June.
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19646293/#Comment_19646293
I don’t have a horse in this but I do check that thread once in a while. :wink:

Our public school is doing away with weighted averages. I think the class of 2019 will be the first without weighting. However, kids will still get their decile ranking. In some cases, kids were taking study hall over taking a “regular” or “acaademic” elective so that their GPA wouldn’t be negatively affected.

Our HS does not rank – they present a bar chart that shows roughly number of students at certain GPA levels. Not many at 97 or 98. No way to exactly rank a particular student who is at a GPA level that has many students. But only a few students usually at 96, 97, 98 cumulative GPA. You can calculate roughly top 5-10%.

@payn4ward – thank you for that link. I would never have thought of that.

As always, this thread is both entertaining and informative.

On the topic of score reporting, have any of you heard if colleges want AP scores sent via official score reports as part of the college application?

@payn4ward That would be super helpful…I’ll have to remember that for the future. Speaking of future, we have a D20 who is the lone athlete in the family. I’m trying to push her from gymnastics into rowing. I hear lots of good scholarships for girls in rowing :wink: She would have to be the coxswain. Not having much luck with that yet.

Our school does not rank, either. I didn’t know if they did it ‘internally’, so when I first started looking at this college stuff, I happened to ask the college/career counselor if perchance they could send rank for purposes of a scholarship. Boy, did I get a dirty look and curt answer: “We have no way of looking up that information.” Oh, well. The more I’ve learned…I’m glad.

@CT1417 I don’t think colleges ask for the official AP score reports. You fill the AP scores in the Common App if you want to. It’s optional.
Once matriculated to one college, they need to send the official score for course credit.

@eandesmom OMG the AP testing will move to the District Center? Kids can easily skip classes after AP no matter where the test takes place, huh? So sorry for AP Physics and AP Lit kids. I would have never predicted that the noise from the next door would be such a distraction.

@CT1417 There are not very many released SAT2s so it’s hard to get a good feel from the practice tests. We had the college board book and I think Barrons. My S16 did not do well on the math2 practice test and we were worried because he’s strong in math but he got an 800. For Physics he took AP physics 1 and there were 3 or 4 units on the test that were not covered in school. He had done outside reading and felt confident. He got a 5 on the AP test. He got a 800 on the practice test so he didn’t study much more and then did not do nearly that well on the actual test. So for us the practice tests gave bad information. Not getting a tip top score in Physics did not seem to matter though as he got admitted to all but one school he applied and got merit offers everywhere that offered merit $. I’m not really sure how high expectations are for specific scores on the SAT2s or if they are above a certain score they just give them a checkmark type thing.

Thanks @dcplanner. This child has never hesitated with standardized tests before, and now at the 11th hour, he is worried about USH. Unfortunately, a number of the schools he is considering require submitting all testing history.
I think what he really needs is more time, but unfortunately, the teacher was still working through the textbook until this weekend. It will be what it will be…thank you, though.

I would think that it would be difficult to do well on Physics subject test after Physics 1. My son tells me that he will need to read up on a few topics after completing Physics C and its AP exam Monday. He did the same with Bio in 9th grade. I am guessing that USH just has too much material. I have heard people mention flash cards but I haven’t seen on on him.

@payn4ward – thanks! That is what I thought also but wanted to see if anything had changed in the two years since my older one went. He must have filled in his university’s name when he took an AP exam May of Sr year because the school ended up with his AP score.

I have been reading this thread for awhile and thought I should “introduce” myself before I reply in the thread: I am also a homeschooling mom. My oldest in a freshman in college, and I have a S in the Class of 2017 and a D in the class of 2019.

Regarding the SAT Physics test…the test used to align pretty well with the old AP Physics B course. Now, a student has to study quite a few topics outside of the AP Physics I course in order to score well on the SAT II.

Sparknotes has a free online study guide for the Subject Tests that my S15 and S17 have used with great success. (We also used Barron’s as well). One important point with the subject test in physics is that the student is not given any formulas nor is he able to use a calculator, so it is important that the student has the formulas memorized.

Good luck to all of those taking Subject Tests this weekend.

Welcome to the party @shuttlebus. :slight_smile:

Welcome @shuttlebus!

Welcome @shuttlebus ! My son is scheduled to take the Physics and Math II subject test on Saturday, but I can’t get him to even crack open the study guide. On the other hand, he is busy studying for his AICE test, so what are you going to do? :-??

Our large public high school ranks; it uses weighted GPA’s (+0.5 for honors, +1.0 points for AP/AICE/DE/IB classes), and the AICE/AP/DE kids have a pretty good idea where they rank in the class. It’s a bit competitive, but they seem much more worried about getting through Junior year, than their rankings. It’s more of “how are we all going to survive AICE Lang?” kinda thing, so the top 100 or so students spend a lot of time sharing notes and working together on assignments (and complaining about the lack of sleep…).

Out of a 600 person class, I would think we only have a handful of students shooting to be Val. So, not a lot of GPA gaming going on with the students.

Some of this is likely influenced by our in-state schools, UF/FSU, which both use holistic admissions and down play rankings (and the other state schools which are less selective, while focusing on GPA/test scores). It’s much more about earning a high GPA, than it’s about being Val.

Hi @shuttlebus !

@Gator88NE Is AICE a Florida thing? Like Regents for New York?

Our power is out. It’s raining but not storming, so slightly bizarre (this neighborhood doesn’t even lose power during tropical storms). D did not finish all her Arabic homework last night. She was feverish so went to bed early. I told her I’d let her sleep in. I wonder if she downloaded the emailed exercises from the prof. If not, we’ll have to go somewhere with wifi instead of remaining cozily at home until class time.