Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Same here. English is last on Wednesday. D says Phys C was kind of brutal today.

AP exams finished, but USH teacher decided to administer final exam Wed & Thurs this week. This is the teacher who offered no prep for the exam and said he did not like the USH subject test
just playing by his own rules!

Son thought Physics C was fine. He could have skipped classes today to study before the noon test, but did not feel the need. We shall see in July

Still waiting to hear from S about the Physics C test. He was concerned about the E&M part, but thought he could get at least a 3 on it. He is probably treating himself to a frozen yogurt or an ice cream to celebrate being done with AP tests.

School goes until June 8 here, and taking AP tests doesn’t get you out of finals. (Not sure I understand how taking AP gets you out of the final, since those grades don’t come out until July.) So after this week is done, S still has finals in Spanish and Biology and final projects in English, APUSH, and engineering.

@Dave_N same here. My D came home today announcing no homework and it was an R & R afternoon. Ahhhh

Debit card for kids who is going to be out of town? What are the best ways? D is pretty responsible kid who usually brings money back.

@SincererLove we opened minor checking accounts for the kids when each has their first big out of town/country trip. I’m a consigner and can transfer funds directly in and out. Easy easy. It’s also linked to their savings accounts. They don’t have any checks, just a debit MasterCard.

The only issue we ever had is S not realizing there was a limit on how many transfers a month and got hit with a few for too many transfers (all super small). The bank waived it upon explanation and no issues since then.

@SincererLove We went through our branch of a national Bank to set up a Visa debit card in our kids’ names and ours when they traveled without us. DD14 still uses that account so it’s easier for us to deposit cash while she’s away at school. We could keep tabs on spending if we wanted, transfer in and out without worrying about fees, etc. Our kids used their cards in Europe just fine.

Does anyone know when we can expect the AP scores? Or is it a crapshoot? Spykid has lots of homework and a couple projects. But school doesn’t get out until mid June for him.

@2muchquan You are an evil genius. Are you working for KAOS?:)) I’m going to name my fake kid Snotleigh Snowflake. Middle name Special. Think it would give away the game?

@TimEnchanter are you saying that 1380 will be the cutoff for commended?

@SincererLove My D has her own checking account with debit card that is attached to my accounts. Before that she had a PayPal teen debit card that was great. It was very easy to transfer her money
a simple text message.

AP scores will be released in early July.

@agentninetynine It looks to me it will be somewhere between 1380 and 1390. If you look at this concordance table that CB released today (scroll down) https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/higher-ed-brief-sat-concordance.pdf an "old"1960 is somewhere around there. (Oops, should have added that a 1960 was an example of an old confirming score.)

@SincererLove Our kids have had accounts attached to ours at a local credit union. D does not have a debit card associated with that account, though we’ll be taking care of that this week.

We can transfer from our account as many times as we wish.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek is this for commended or NMSF?

@SincererLove Our kids have their own accounts at the local credit union. DD14 has a debit card attached to her account. Ds doesn’t have one yet.

@agentninetynine Commended was announced a few weeks ago. Commended is 209. State scores won’t be released until Sept, but if you look at Compass or Test Masters, they have state estimates listed.

So @Mom2aphysicsgeek: 209 is the commended cutoff. And it’s possible 1380 will be the minimum for NMSF but it depends on the state? Also, why did the PSAT only have a top score of 1520 but the SAT has 1600?

I felt like such a delinquent last year. My nephew taught me how to get AP scores early by changing my IP address or something like that. I got Ds score like 3-5 days early.

@SincererLove I set up my kids saving accounts many years ago and then opened a checking for them so they each have their own debit cards. I can transfer money from my account to theirs on my phone in a minute. I thought when they got their licenses it was best for them to have their own debit cards to pay for gas or if I need them to ru. To the store to buy groceries, I’ll transfer money to reimburse them every couple of months.

@Agentninetynine They maxed out the PSAT scores at 1520 because they thought it was a correlation to what they would actually get.

Most schools need or recommend 2 subject tests. Is there any advantage of taking more than 2? Do colleges weigh that in the admission process?

I just found the AP score release dates by state here: https://apscore.collegeboard.org/scores
July 5-9 – But, yes, you can make it look like you have a different IP address I hear.