Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>I’m not having S17 take the PSAT as a sophomore. He will take it as a junior regardless (for NMF) and I don’t want him to burn out on the test-taking. His S14 brother never did and I’d rather leverage an extra ACT/SAT next year than an early “practice test” now. </p>

<p>@pigmom - If she didn’t do the essay part the max score would be 1600. If your son got a 1800 so he must have done the essay so that would be 1800 out of 2400. A 1480 out of 1600 is pretty good for a 10th grader.</p>

<p>D17 is taking the test but not preparing for it. I personally hope that they delay the transition to the computer based exam for PSAT/NMSQT because I think D might have a chance for MNSF. I think taking the test cold usually helps prepare for the test next year, but I’m not sure how different the computer-based version will be. But, can’t control what you can’t control. </p>

<p>I wonder if she’ll submit her name to colleges and if the brochure parade will begin again in the mailbox. </p>

<p>I was surprised to see this thread here! I found it as I was looking at the Class of 2015 thread because I have a DD graduating this spring in '15. As I’ve been doing research for her, I became pretty alarmed regarding my DS and the very different academic career he is having. My D is an honors student. She has taken mostly honors classes, has tons of EC’s, very social, etc…She is applying to Penn State only (it’s the only place she wants to go) and she has about a 3.6 GPA and a 29 ACT and a pretty good overall application. My son is just a totally different kid. If he keeps going at the same pace he’s at now, he will be lucky to graduate with a 3.0. He is just not motivated in the same way by academics and I worry. Here on CC, it seems like everyone’s kids have such high stats. It’s intimidating. My DS is smart…just not applying himself. He is on the golf team and pretty much that is his main focus. </p>

<p>I’m hoping the coming years bring some maturity, but I fear it will be too late. He wants to go to college and I know he can go to some of the local state schools etc with a fairly low GPA (2.5-3.0). But I worry. I can’t imagine him taking the PSAT’s this year. I think it would totally destroy his confidence.<br>
Anyone else have a late bloomer? </p>

<p>@WELCOMETOCHINA I have two kids adopted from China and have been there a few times. Beautiful country! We love it there!</p>

<p>@MichiganGeorgia-My D’17 got 1480, if add essay to be 1600. It’s out of 2400. My S’13 was the same way that he got 1800 without counted essay scores when he was the end of grade 9. If added essay, he should get $1930 out of 2400. We didn’t realize that the 2nd child is old enough to take SAT. To the 1st child, we always expect him to be a big brother. I believe that’s why my D’17 always thinks she’s not ready yet.</p>

<p>@jlhpsu‌, it’s hard when you have two kids that are so different. Maybe you S is a little bored and therefore not engaged. I feel lucky that we found a school where my kids are engaged. I hope your S17 finds his stride, but some kids need a dose of “real world” in order to decide that college is worth their time. The 2015 thread’s motto is “Run You Own Race”. That is true here also. Every kid is different and has to find their own way. </p>

<p>@pigmom - Many studies have shown that boys have traditionally scored higher on standardized tests than girls, especially on the math portion. Clearly there are girls who do better in math than their male peers, but this is an overall trend. I have yet to see a study that pinpoints why this is. </p>

<p>DD17 will be taking the PSAT this year. Her school actually requires sophomore to take it as practice. The only thing I don’t like is that the score would be on her transcript.</p>

<p>I am a newbie here. Hope to learn from your experiences to plan/guide my DS’17 college readiness. </p>

<p>Welcome @uthdad‌. I’m sure you’ll learn more than you planned. Do you have a daughter or son?</p>

<p>Thx @mtrosemom. I’ve a son.</p>

<p>Welcome @uthdad‌.</p>

<p>There’s another “new PSAT” thread going on in the Parent Forum: <a href=“class 2017 have to take a new PSAT for NMSP - Parents Forum - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1692926-class-2017-have-to-take-a-new-psat-for-nmsp.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Hi parents,
First post here on CC. I have a daughter who graduates in 2017. She seems like most of the kids on here: bright, hard working, good grades, etc. </p>

<p>My biggest reason for lurking on CC is to find info on merit scholarships. Our income is too high for FA, but too low to save for full price. My daughter is a smart kid, I’m sure she will find a good college match that will give her money. </p>

<p>She is taking the PSAT next week. She didn’t prep for it, but I did tell her she should at least look over some math tips before she takes it. Math is her weakness. She is good in math, just slow. That will be her downfall on these standardized tests.</p>

<p>Nice to meet everyone. </p>

<p>I am new to the forum “2017”… anyone updated anything since 2013? Is anyone’s daughter going for GS Gold?</p>

<p>Welcome to the new posters. I have a S17 who will also be taking the PSAT in about a week. My D15 made NMSF and could potentially score some nice merit scholarships, but she wants small LACs, so will be competing for merit scholarships through the regular channels, not as a NMF.</p>

<p>My S17 is taking SAT today and PSAT on 15th.</p>

<p>I just signed S up for the January SAT because he will have some study time over winter break.</p>

<p>DS is sophomore and taking PSATS on Wednesday </p>

<p>D is also a sophomore taking the PSAT tomorrow. Her district pays for all freshman, sophomores and juniors to take it. Last year soph’s did NOT, but I guess they’ve added them this year. D did really well but missed some math Q’s-makes sense she she had not yet had more than a month of geometry. She’s been prepping and also looking at the ACT for comparison. She finds the questions much more straight forward on the ACT, something I have always heard. She’ll do a full practice test from the book that uses actual past tests and we’ll see how the results compare. </p>

<p>Her year is moving right along-her black student union is attracting more members, her assembly is coming along, and she and some of her Africa trip cohort will be speaking to the school board tonight. She’s also been asked to apply for the committee doing the superintendent search…I just drive.</p>

<p>Somewhere I read about the difference in strategy for SAT and ACT. One of them penalizes you for guessing and one of them penalizes you for skipping or something like that. Can someone clarify it for me?</p>