Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>I believe they are distributed via guidance early to mid December, but I recall there being some delays last year, but I do not recall the cause of the delays. Scores are not released on-line the way SAT and Subject Test scores were this morning. </p>

<p>Thanks for your response. My D is still not ready for SAT, so I don’t expect how wonderful her PSAT is. I know her classmate got SAT result (2150) today. It’s so good for this age.</p>

<p>DD was also told that PSAT result will be out in December. As @CT1417 stated, the PSAT results will not be release on-line. I remember DS14 received his PSAT results at school from his teacher.</p>

<p>Our guidance dept requires the students to come in to pick up score report from GC. It is not a bad idea as it provides one more opportunity for GC to chat with students. Each GC handles approximately 50 students from each grade, and the hope is that by Sr year, the GC will be able to write an informed LOR on each student. </p>

<p>It really is a good idea for GC to hand out PSAT scores.</p>

<p>Our PSAT score and returned test are also handed out by the GC. I doubt there will be much review for the Sophomores. She’ll save that for the juniors because it may help shape their college lists.</p>

<p>I think our GCs just distribute the score report, even to the Juniors! It just provides another touch point for the GC to meet with the students, in an attempt to establish a relationship.</p>

<p>Only if the scores are good. Otherwise GC will remember it throughout the Sr year.
Are your kids working on SAT every day or week? </p>

<p>Mine decided that he will take the SAT this March. When we get the score in Dec, we’ll decide how much and what kind of prep is needed. I know he will need some training in how to write that essay style. We know an outside counselor who gives good webinars on that type of thing, but other suggestions are welcome!</p>

<p>I don’t know how PSAT scores are distributed at his school. GCs have about 400 kids each, so that’s maybe 130 who took the PSAT per GC. Luckily, he already knows his GC pretty well, because her son is in volleyball with him, so we chatted some at games freshman year.</p>

<p>This week he is working on a “hacking” (computer security) contest with a team of friends. They are doing pretty well so far (knock on wood), but are to the point where only the hard challenges are left.</p>

<p>Here they just hand the PSAT score to the kids when they get their semester report card in January. I don’t think they go over it with them.</p>

<p>@Ynotgo - is the computer contest one with teams of five and runs through next Friday? I have asked my son who the sponsor is but haven’t received a response yet! He thinks Carnegie Mellon may be involved in some way. Fortunately, practice for his sport ended so he now has extra hours to dedicate to solving these problems.</p>

<p>@pigmom – after realizing how busy he was this fall, my son has changed his plan from fall of Jr year to this March for the SAT. Like Ynotgo above, I plan to find someone to provide pointers for essay as he can self-study the remainder. He doesn’t plan to spend any time on SAT prep until after January mid-terms and all he plans to do is take practice tests and attempt to figure out what is wanted for the essay. We may try the on-line course simply to obtain essay feedback.</p>

<p>The school gave D her scores last year, then we got the full report mailed to us. I assume they will do the same this year. DD has very little free time and is not doing any formal prep at this point, but will be doing a practice ACT test at some point this fall to see if she prefers that over the SAT. All of her prospective colleges accept that, and as her school is STEM-based, the kids do quite well on the science portion. She is a humanities kid though and does very well with the reading and writing portions of any test. </p>

<p>Tomorrow is a big day for her-she is running an assembly that she planned to explain and get kids interested in global initiative, which is a pillar of her district. For her it will be explaining her trip to Ghana and what she learned and how her school can help children around the world get better educations. She has to manage a roster of several guest speakers and activities, plus the set-up and other nuts and bolts of any assembly. She’ll worry about her PSAT scores later.</p>

<p>@CT1417 Yes, it is that one, though they only have 4 team members. Scroll down on the home page for the contest, and it says that two teams at Carnegie Mellon collaborated to design the challenges. Financial sponsors include Trend Micro (anti-virus company), Boeing, Qualcomm, the NSF, and of course the NSA. There is a trip to Carnegie Mellon for the top 3 teams. I think his school’s team won this 2 years ago. But, 3 of his team’s seniors graduated last year, so they are 2 sophomores and 2 juniors this year.</p>

<p>He got his 6th grade sister to do some of the training materials for the contest. She is up to 80 points, but she has restrictions on her computer use time for homework reasons. >:P </p>

<p>@Ynotgo - how funny/small world! I am kept on a need-to-know only basis so I tried to pry any additional info out of my son. He is immediately suspicious, wondering why I would care since it is all beyond my abilities.</p>

<p>Apparently he stumbled across the contest b/c one of the organizers or founders was someone he had a couple of years ago as a TA for a Udacity course? He thinks perhaps this ex-TA is a student at CMU, a PHD maybe? I have not seen the website where they are ‘competing’ but I do recall him mentioning the NSA. Perhaps I will learn more during dinner.</p>

<p>His team consists of four sophomores and a freshman, and no one at the school has ever participated. The computer instruction at the school is rather weak so the boys are all self-taught. They have attended a couple of hack-a-thons together but never seem to get organized enough to execute a completed project in the allotted 24 hours.</p>

<p>Good for your son for involving his sister. I don’t know anything about training materials, or points, other than to know they are being ranked against other teams nationwide.</p>

<p>@sseamom Your D sounds like she has her hands full. What a great experience! How did it go?</p>

<p>Thanks for asking, jedwards. It went very well. She was worried that the kids, especially the middle schoolers, wouldn’t stay quiet or pay attention, but they did. Everything ran like clockwork and all of her speakers were there, on time, and spoke well. The school board member she’d asked to speak gave a history of the program that sent her and the others to Ghana, which even I didn’t know, and she was very engaging while doing it. The best part was that ALL of the classrooms DID do her lesson plan about global citizenship and the principal wants the posters they made hung in each room. Everyone was very impressed and I could have burst with pride.</p>

<p>Now she is on to the next thing-she found out today that her group was one of 10 selected from the entire school of 300 to present their social science “TED Talk” to the public
next week (ack!). It’s all I can do to keep up!</p>

<p>@sseamom That’s great! It sounds like she is having a successful sophomore year. </p>

<p>Yes sseamom, I am impressed. You will have to let us know how the TED talk goes!</p>

<p>I saw this in another thread: Official Study Guide for the New SAT <a href=“http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1457304325/st06202-20”>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1457304325/st06202-20&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It’s scheduled to be released June 30, 2015 – so I suppose this will be the most authoritative look at what the new PSAT questions will look like.</p>

<p>Congrats @sseamom on your daughter’s interesting and personally fulfilling activities!</p>

<p>@Ynotgo, thanks for the new SAT Study Guide link. I supposed this is from College Board so it’s the “official” guide book then.</p>