Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

<p>S got results today. Trying to figure it all out. 184. The counsellor said that it is good for a sophomore. No studying or prep. Next year the Psat will be very different. Should tutoring start next semester with an eye toward taking the SAT next November and January before it changes. Or should we look at ACT? I am not sure that our sophomore kids will have deep resources for new SAT prep. Are they better off with the old SAT or ACT? What are others thinking? The change is going to affect our kids the mostā€¦</p>

<p>@BigPaiofthree ā€“ how did his scores break out? What math class is he taking currently? Did he omit questions or was his score a function of errors? The score report breaks this all out. Also, that little code at the bottom allows student to go on line to see questions and answers for each of his incorrect responses. Of course, student could use provided booklet and answer key but some prefer the computer.</p>

<p>It is possible for him to increase his score hundreds of points with prep; my older son did so by studying summer after sophomore year. Start him on QOTD now, if nothing else. </p>

<p>Unless you have a reason to avoid the October exam, I would aim for that one as his first. Oct is a QAS date so you can order a copy of the test booklet and answer key to see exactly where his errors were, although to be honest, it is not all that effective a learning tool by the time it finally arrives. (My experience was during Super Storm Sandy, so perhaps that delayed the mailing of the QAS.)</p>

<p>Other benefit of prepping for Oct SAT is that it will help for PSAT, to the extent that anyone can prep for the unknown format of new PSAT. </p>

<p>Just using my older sonā€™s experience, I think the students are better off taking old format as we have tons of real prep materials. But, if your son made a lot of errors as opposed to omissions, you may have more work in front of you. </p>

<p>@CT1417ā€Œ, your advice is spot on as always! Thanks.</p>

<p>@BigPapiofthreeā€Œ, the only thing CT forgot to mention was the ACT. My D didnā€™t care for it, but if your S loves science it may work better. Many schools tie merit $$ to both SAT and ACT, but you should have your S take the ACT at end of this year while the knowledge is still fresh, and thereā€™s no pressure. My S is doing the April ACT for 1st time. Make sure you choose the Writing version. </p>

<p>Anyone else trying the ACT next spring?</p>

<p>D will probably do an ACT next fall, but for sure at some point. Her school is all about the scientific process in addition to specific subjects, and I understand that is the emphasis in the science portion of the ACT. I also prefer the way it is scored. But I donā€™t want to get her on a treadmill of test after test after test. Spring might be a little early.</p>

<p>I havenā€™t looked at the content of the ACT but I thought that the science section did not test science knowledge as much as oneā€™s ability to comprehend graphs and charts? </p>

<p>The one thing I do know about the ACT is that timing is a greater challenge than on the SAT. I also think, at least in the Northeast, that the ACT rounded-up composite score can help the student who is weak in one section. While the four subscores are reported, NE schools only report the composite ACT range whereas they quote the score ranges for SAT M, CR & W. Say you have a student who just canā€™t break 28 on science, but has 34 on the other three sections. I <em>believe</em> his score of 32.5 would be rounded up to 33, masking a relatively weak science score. The student who cannot break 680 on math SAT will not enjoy that same luxury.</p>

<p>Son is planning to take SAT in March, and Math II in either May or June. He has not considered the ACT, and I wouldnā€™t force him to take it, but will present the option. We just want the SAT out of the way before the format changes.</p>

<p>@CT1417,

That is correct. By the way, good post #663.</p>

<p>I am thinking about whether to have DD taking the old SAT or the ACT this spring. On one hand, I donā€™t think she should study the old format of SAT and then turn around to study the new PSAT in the summer. On the other hand, taking the old SAT might be a good insurance incase the new SAT will not be a good test for DD. Because of this dilemma, I thought maybe she should just take ACT and not deal with any of the SAT until the dust settles. I really donā€™t know how to advise DD. </p>

<p>Iā€™m pretty sure DS will get the PSAT scores when the kids report cards come out in Januaryā€¦ Unless DS bombed it Iā€™m planning on having him take the SAT in June. I doubt he will study over the summer so Iā€™m thinking itā€™s best to try it while he is still in ā€œschoolā€ mode. </p>

<p>@4beardolls ā€“ I would really try to avoid the new SAT, assuming your D is ā€˜readyā€™ to sit for standardized testing before the spring of Jr year. Since you are thinking of this spring for ACT or SAT, I would go for SAT, assuming she has expressed a preference for SAT over ACT. If she hasnā€™t seen full-length versions of either, have her sit for a timed practice test for each, mark the question where she ran out of time (if applicable), but tell her to finish each section, ignoring the clock. When scoring, calculate a timed and untimed score. You can then analyze whether the issue is knowledge of the material (# of errors) or timing. </p>

<p>No one ā€˜needsā€™ to take both tests for real, but instead should figure out which exam she prefers before investing in major prepping. The blue book & red book include real practice exams so anyone can select her preferred test at home. </p>

<p>My issue with the new SAT is the unknown. A math teacher friend looked at the new Math questions released by CB and said that they are ridiculously difficult. I donā€™t know if CB is trying to position the SAT as the test for top students only but I sense there will be far fewer 800s under the new format. </p>

<p>And, as to studying for the new PSAT, I am not sure how much studying one can do, given the scant information provided. I am guessing that the new PSAT will be closer to the old PSAT than it is to the ACT, so I would think that studying for any SAT is better than studying for ACT, if a high PSAT score is the goal. Granted, scoring of new PSAT will be more like ACT (no guessing penalty), but I have to think that the format of the questions will not mirror ACT. </p>

<p>Just my completely uneducated two cents!</p>

<p>@CT1417, you made a very good point about the new PSAT should be more similar to the old SAT than the ACT. I also really like your suggestions about taking both timed and untimed test in one practice setting. Unlike her brother, DD is not a nature good test taker so the strategy of what and when to take will be important. Decisions, decisionsā€¦</p>

<p>Thanks for all the advise/opinions. Son skipped many questions. Didnā€™t guess when he wasnā€™t sure. Writing was his weakest section, and Math strongest. He is currently in Honors Algebra 2. Spoke with tutor today. He suggested starting next month getting ready for Sat. Take it in May or June for a first try. Then gear up late summer for a big pushā€¦taking the old one in Fall and January before the change. He believes he can increase him to 2100 plus. He had great confidence. Thinks writing can go up 100-150 with work. Math only needs to go up 50-70. Reading will be toughest. Will start working vocabl nowā€¦If he canā€™t move the needle on SAT by fall, we will have till next spring to attack the ACT. He feels that the sat prep will also help the ACT prep somewhat. He gave me confidence in his plan. My son seems willing to put in the work. </p>

<p>Thoughts on this plan?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the advise/opinions. Son skipped many questions. Didnā€™t guess when he wasnā€™t sure. Writing was his weakest section, and Math strongest. He is currently in Honors Algebra 2. Spoke with tutor today. He suggested starting next month getting ready for Sat. Take it in May or June for a first try. Then gear up late summer for a big pushā€¦taking the old one in Fall and January before the change. He believes he can increase him to 2100 plus. He had great confidence. Thinks writing can go up 100-150 with work. Math only needs to go up 50-70. Reading will be toughest. Will start working vocabl nowā€¦If he canā€™t move the needle on SAT by fall, we will have till next spring to attack the ACT. He feels that the sat prep will also help the ACT prep somewhat. He gave me confidence in his plan. My son seems willing to put in the work. </p>

<p>Thoughts on this plan?</p>

<p>@BigPapiofthree ā€“ I think that is a very sound plan. If his practice test scores are not at a level where you and he are happy, donā€™t take the May or June exam. If considering May & June, I would suggest May so that you can order the QAS and use the info contained within to guide his summer studying. (June is not a QAS date.) Before committing to a date, look at his EC & sport events in the weeks leading up to the test to make sure he will have time to dedicate to prep.</p>

<p>Writing can be an easy quick hit, but I will caution that the 25 min essay has what I consider far too much impact on the total W score. Tutor can help with that.</p>

<p>See if you can get him to start answering College Boardā€™s Question of the Day. Itā€™s not much, but it is a start!</p>

<p>And, yes, others have said that SAT prep will carry over to ACT, but it might make more sense to do as I suggested above and have him complete full-length practice ACT & SAT. See 1st paragraph of post #669.</p>

<p>Still waiting for Sā€™ PSAT score. I was told they would get them this week??? I am torturing my S and having him take the SAT in January, partly because he will have time to study over winter break. I want to see how he does to determine whether the SAT or ACT would be better for this STEM kid and I want to have him take the SAT under the old testing system which we are familiar with. Also, experience with D15 is that the sooner the testing can be done the better. She retook tests her senior year and really didnā€™t have the time to study. I want all of his testing complete before senior year begins! He will be taking the SAT Math II test in May or June also @CT1417. </p>

<p>@mtrosemom, I am hoping DD will take SAT Math II in June, also.</p>

<p>S turned 16 this weekend. Wow!, but no drivers license yet :slight_smile:
He also got his PSAT scores back. They were respectable with room to improve in the English section next year. Sā€™s school was a test school for the new PSAT and SAT formats (I donā€™t know how they arranged that but Iā€™ll go with it). He took the new test on Saturday and said that he liked the new format better. The examples they used in the English section were more targeted to what they actually learn in school. The reading passages were more relevant. He was happy about the change. Note he is a STEM kid and has to work hard in English and humanities. I think they find out their scores in late January some time. I will let you all know how he compares with his October PSAT score.</p>

<p>I broke down and asked my son whether heā€™s gotten his scores yet and apparently they havenā€™t. I didnā€™t realize that it was so non-uniform as it seems to be when they take the test as a requirement through the school. My S turned 16 in Oct, but doesnā€™t have his license yet either. I figure that Iā€™m happy to have him mature as long as possible before he gets behind the wheel of a car.</p>

<p>My S turns sixteen in the spring but hasnā€™t done a thing to learn to drive. I asked him if he wanted to start the online classroom part over the holiday break and he said, ā€œIf you donā€™t drive me around, when would I ever see you?ā€ So true, we are always in the car. </p>

<p>S got his permit a month after he was eligible, and is logging his hours driving to school (2 mi). I love how he finally has something to say about the terrible drivers in this town! Of course, he has a lot to say about his parentsā€™ driving now, tooā€¦</p>

<p>S picked up his PSAT scores today. Sophomores got to pick them up from a secretary and look at them in private. Juniors get theirs handed out in English class, so Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a lot of ā€œwhat did you get?ā€ that will make him uncomfortable no matter what his score next year.</p>

<p>He missed a few more than he expected, but seems to be on a really good trajectory for junior year. Wish the test werenā€™t changing, since he seems to do pretty well on this one. It does give him guidance for what areas to practice for the SAT. (Including bubbling the same answer on the scantron that you mark in the bookletā€¦) Heā€™s a STEM kid, but CR was actually the highest; math was affected by some ā€œoopsā€ moments.</p>

<p>The Class of 2016 forum has talked about PrepScholar (<a href=ā€œhttps://www.prepscholar.com/ā€>https://www.prepscholar.com/&lt;/a&gt;), and a number of their kids got good increases in SAT scores using it. Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll have him give it a try. It does diagnostic tests to start and has them practice the areas that need work. $400 though. Our current plan is for him to take the SAT initially in June of sophomore year because of some conflicts on the other dates.</p>

<p>Still no progress on his online driverā€™s training. I think heā€™s only done about 10 of the 30 hours. Maybe over winter break, but there are plenty of distractions then, including his 16th birthday.</p>

<p>So for Sā€™ 16 birthday he had his wisdom teeth out! I did feel bad that I scheduled him between his b-day and Christmas, but he needs to be in full ā€œGOā€ mode come January because he is part of a First Robotics Competition (FRC) club. Build season is a limited 6-week, intensive period from Jan 3 to mid February. He has never done FRC before, but he is excited to be part of the team!
Happy holiday all. Enjoy the winter break with your kids.</p>