Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

DD is thinking about taking SAT in March, when a tutoring company at College Night at our HS recommended that to her. She originally wanted to take it in June. DD never used any tutoring ever, though. Her SI is 224. Never taken any SAT since her 8th grade.

Who do you think are taking the March SAT? What do you think the curve is going to be? She does want to give herself time in case she needs repeating in June. She is taking Chem in May. All thoughts are welcome!

I believe you can pick and choose SAT subject tests to report but not SAT scores.

@sincerelove Good question. My dd is taking the Mar test. I hate for her to be in this completely unknown territory, but she wants to take it and hopefully be done with testing. She should make NMSF for our state, so she has to take the SAT. She is taking subject tests in May. If she doesn’t score well in Mar, she will hopefully know early enough to register for the June test.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek , the tutoring company said that you will be able to do late registration for June testing after March results.

Any idea if CB is predicting delays in reporting the May 7th SAT results? We are skipping the March test as we just don’t want to be part of the first batch of guinea pigs so I was thinking the May 7th test administration might be better?

I am a little late @2muchquan , but here are my thoughts:

My perspective comes from my D targeting the honors program at a fairly selective state flagship. The college and the honors program emphasized the value they placed on applicants that had an EC with a long term commitment. They spoke about wanting to see a passion for the activity, but also something that had a commitment that demonstrated the ability to balance classwork with other activities.

So would quitting band look like your D was overwhelmed with the time commitment? If she dropped band for an academic would it look like she is grade grubbing, (this has happens at my D’s school) ? Does it show she has no passion other than academics?

How about this for an idea: Some of the band students at my D’s school started a music performance club not associated with band program. Non-band students are part of the club so there are pianists, guitar players and singers, my D even read a poem at the last performance since her flute was in the shop. The objective of the club is to provide an outlet to perform as a soloist or small ensemble without the pressure of concerts, competitions and chair tests. They have performed for easy audiences like retirements homes but hope to expand out as they get more confident.

Perhaps you D could drop band and get with some others that enjoy performance and start a club like this. It would not make her look like a quitter but like someone that had a passion music performance, even their skill was not at an elite level. Could turn a negative into a great essay topic.

Just a thought, YMMV.

My D15 was able to select which SAT to send to schools using score select for schools that don’t require all scores, so you are able to select in SAT as well as SAT II tests.

This is where families have to know their own priorities and philosophies, and kids need to understand the consequences of decisions. Our kids would make their own decision as to whether or not they wanted to continue with band and I would only want them to do it if they wanted to, not to check off some box for college admissions.

BUT, our goals are not focused on wooing admissions or committees. I want my kids to be happy and apply to schools as authentically them. AO can like them or not. :slight_smile: We go into these types of decisions knowing that some options will end up being limited. It is what it is. We bucked the system when we made the decision to homeschool and that decision comes with its own ramifications. Doing something just bc someone might or might not like that decision is just counter to our philosophy. But, our kids are also fully aware that making those types of decisions will close doors. (They can look for the windows. :wink: )

My D has a goal (quality graduate school) and constants (what we can afford). If she wants a quality education at a cost that we can afford her options are limited and they all are looking for a similar applicant profile. She doesn’t want to change her goal, so she checks the boxes.

@CaucAsianDad We have 8 kids. Believe me, they live in cost restraints bc we don’t qualify for FA but we live on our income. They just forge their path through the schools that will take them for who they are. Our current college student is attending Bama on full scholarship. He is a very single-minded kid. His resume consisted of things like SSP, research with local professors
that is what he loves. He was accepted into their CBH program which is research focused. He loves where he landed.

What did he not get? He did not get the Presidential scholarship at GA Tech which meant it was too expensive. Ditto to Parks at NCSU. But he was happy throughout high school pursuing what he loved.

My 11th grader loves languages. That is where her heart is. She has made friends with French immigrant teens and tries to do things with them to help them adjust. She is active in Russian programs. Just like with her one brother I described, when she applies to college, she will shine where she does and her voids will be what they are. She will apply to schools where we know she will be accepted with scholarships (a very large number of schools just look at stats and don’t even look at ECs) and will try for a few more competitive. She is accepted where she is accepted.

I like the idea @CaucAsianDad, a lot. I just think the ship has sailed on the idea of forming an outside group, or club. Everything has ramifications
this could be looked at as just trying to pad ECs, so it would only be a win-win to some AOs. I kind of agree with @Mom2aphysicsgeek, and I was just venting. In the end I’m going to let her do what she wants, which at this point it sounds like she wants to stick it out because she likes the camaraderie. Whether that’s just checking a box or not, who knows. She’s not looking at it that way.

On the plus side, she just met with her GC and it looks like she will be doing an independent study for Chinese, since her school does not offer AP Chinese. Her independent study will involve studying on her own for the AP, plus some additional things like student teaching the lower grades. This will give her the ability to take another class and will free up some time hopefully. Anyone ever hear of the Seal of Biliteracy?

@2muchquan, the band thing might make a good common app essay about facing adversity. I am sorry that the teacher has taken all of the fun out of band and music away from her. Might be a good time to really dive into piano.

@2muchquan Yes, a bunch of people at our school get the Seal of Biliteracy. High-achievers get it Spanish, French, or Latin, and a fair number of native Spanish speakers get it. There is probably a website for your state that describes how to qualify.

In CA you qualify if you have a 3+ on a foreign language AP test, a 4+ on an IB test, or take 4 years and get a 3.0+ average. (Our 4th year is AP/IB anyway.) For native speakers of other languages, they have to reach “Early Advanced” proficiency on the CELDT test (English for non-natives); I don’t think they even have to be reclassified as English proficient.

DS will qualify after this year just based on grades, even if he doesn’t pass the Spanish AP or IB test. He doesn’t feel like he is very competent in Spanish, though I guess he can write in Spanish OK. I recently got him the Princeton Review book for AP Spanish, because his IB class won’t cover the format of the AP test much.

I just had my son sign up for the March SAT also. I hate having him be a guinea pig for the new test, but he is taking SATII in May and has a date conflict with the June date, so he needs to take this one or wait for October. He was planning to just do the ACT, which he already has a high score on, but his PSAT puts him in range for National Merit, so I guess College board gets more money from us.

It is interesting to hear everyone’s plans and strategies. DS actually has conflicts during the March and May SAT test dates, so I’m happy we decided long ago to focus on ACT. He is taking the April 9th ACT and the June ACT. SAT2s in June, after he is done with APs. He took SAT2s in Bio and World History last year. This year will be Math 2 and US History, I think, He could take Chem too, but he isn’t a science major, so I’m not sure it is necessary. I also think sitting for 3 SAT2s at once is exhausting, so I don’t want him to do that. If he makes National Merit (I think he is in the range, but it is difficult to tell) he will take the SAT next fall.

Whose kid is driving the bus at this point in the school search (or at least a co-pilot), and whose kid is a in the back seat enjoying the ride?

Does your kid know your budget?

My kid is sitting in the middle of the bus, but starting to look out the windshield. When she found out about the budget she moved a few seats back. :slight_smile:

@2muchquan my DD is driving the bus! Her sister is just one year older and I did most of the legwork but she wants to research everything (I think just to be different from her sister). We don’t really have a budget but she knows she is on her own if she wants to go to grad school. So it’s up to her. It’s still a long way away and I am enjoying my last year and a half with her

My S is the opposite of D15, who totally drove the bus. He is in the middle of the bus. He knows what he wants to major in at school, but doesn’t have a specific idea of the type of school. He has a good idea of his budget AND he is taking a college planning seminar as an elective. So at least I am not the only one pushing him towards the goal line. And I really like his school counselor.

I drove the bus for a while and showed my D how the process works. Once she got interested she started driving, I am lucky if I am allowed on the bus anymore!

I have now been assigned as her assistant researcher and CC proxy.

LOL, great question! DS17 is driving the bus. He knows what he wants to study and has a list of 10 schools to apply that fit into safety, match and reach. Of course, he would love to attend the reaches. He is our 3rd, so he understands our budget and sees how it has worked for both his brother and sister. Merit money is the key, and he knows it. DS12 also drove the bus, with me as a copilot. DD13 sat in the back of the bus for almost the entire process. She just wasn’t “there” mentally, even though it had to get done.