Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

I was on the Lewis and Clark campus years ago for a conference and it sure is beautiful, but I think it would be a big reach for my son. Too bad, cuz it sure is beautiful!

Applying to:
CSU Chico
Sonoma State
San Diego State (might be a reach, but oh well)
San Francisco State
Humboldt

Also:
Whittier
NAU
Western Washington
Eckerd
Probably at least a few more

@natty1988 My daughter wonā€™t consider any place that snows so NAU was a definite no-go. Flagstaff gets way too cold for her. Itā€™s a shame because Iā€™ve heard the campus is gorgeous. So far her list is:
SDSU
Cal poly SLO (big reach)
Chico
U of A
UNM - she knows it snows here but is willing to consider it due to the low cost to attend
and SBCC - she would live in a private dorm in I.V. and then use the TAG program to transfer into UCSB (my husbandā€™s and my alma mater).

I love hearing about these western schools. Weā€™re so eastern focused ā€” itā€™s good to learn about other colleges.

Making some progress here.

Hit the submit button on 6 Common App schools last night. Most did not have any supplemental questions/essays and were free applications. Still waiting on HS to send transcripts, which were requested on 10/2. Ugh - I donā€™t understand why it takes so long.

D19 still has 5 more applications to complete by 11/1, all of which have some type of supplemental essays. Iā€™ve been told they are nearly complete but have not seen anything. Two of the applications are on the Coalition App (JMU and UMD) which continues to be a thorn in her side. Still not certain about how to connect the LORs. Pushing her to get them completed this weekend but probably wishful thinking on my part.

After 11/1, D19 will be down to only two more applications (I hope) - one is due 11/10 (Elon) and the other 12/1 (Virginia Tech).

Good news - she was accepted to Auburn today.

Congratulations on the Auburn acceptance, @DCNatFan!

@dcnatfan does your daughterā€™s school have naviance? Our school does and my daughters lor and transcripts went via naviance. Both JMU and UMD received. It took a few days for them to be matched up to the applications. For non common app schools, we were told that naviance sends stuff to a cloud and then the school has to go to cloud. Our school had submitted the transcripts and LOR before we submitted the application. It took about 4-5 business days from them to show matched to the application after she submitted the application.

@GusGus5 the campus is gorgeous! But, if she doesnā€™t like snow, she wouldnā€™t like Flagstaff. Iā€™ve heard that some years they get hardly any snow, but other years they get a tonā€¦but it is unpredictable. Is your daughter looking beyond the west coast? Texas or Florida?

@mdtrish Tnaks. Our HS does use Naviance so hopefully it will all synch up. The confusing part is in the Coalition App where they ask you to select and sent invites for the LORā€™s to certain teachers and counselors.

@TwinMom2023 And I like hearing about the Eastern schools too! Are you an east coaster?
We did consider some Eastern schools, but in the end he is only applying to Eckerdā€¦

@DCNatFan , yes that is very confusing. I was skeptical but she was told by her counselor to ignore that. It worked out. UMD uses coalition as their ā€˜check your applicationā€™ portal and JMU will send u log in info to check status. She submitted on 10/9 and UMD had everything marked as received on Monday and JMU yesterday.

@DCnatfan, have you been on Naviance? I had to look around on it to know how it all worked. It will show on there when LORs and transcripts were sent to school.

Our issue is that our son kind of finalizes his list of where he wants to apply and go and then we get a brochure in the mail or an email for schools we hadnā€™t thought about and he wants to add those to the listā€¦A friend of his is applying to U. Vermont and U New Hampshireā€¦my son was interested in those schools, but Im not sure they are worth going across the country forā€¦oh well

@mdtrish Yes, I am pretty familiar with Naviance at this point. The kids have to submit a paper transcript request for each school. Once the school processes and sends they move the school in Naviance from a school ā€œIā€™m thinking aboutā€ to a school ā€œIā€™m applying toā€.

My understanding is once they send the transcript everything else goes with it - counselor report, counselor LOR and teacher LORs.

@DCNatFan , yes that is my understanding as well. I am pretty Type A so trusting all is going to happen correctly is hard for me. HA. So far so good

@DCNatFan - that is how I understand the process also. @mdtrish - I am a Type A as well. :slight_smile: And there was a ā€œsnafuā€ with our schoolā€™s Naviance which caused over a two week long delay with the GC paperworkā€¦ā€œsnafusā€ are not good for Type A-ers. But all apps are in, GC paperwork is in, so now we wait.

@natty1988 We live in North Carolina, but Twin A only wants to go up north. We have toured schools from Maine to Pennsylvania. It has been quite the journey. Twin B wants to stay close to home so weā€™ve used her touring budget for her sister.

Whatā€™s funny about the east coast is New England kids like coming to the south and mid atlantic and southern kids like to go to New England. Itā€™s a big swap for four years.

@TwinMom2023 My cousin is from North Carolina, though she has lived in California most of her life. I have never lived on the East Coast but have been there numerous times to visit family and friends and for business and vacation. My husband was born in Connecticut but moved out west when he was two, so he barely remembers living thereā€¦I do know a lot of people who are originally from the East Coast or New England but now live in California or moved out west when they were youngā€¦

I do know of New England people going to Florida for collegeā€¦

@DCNatFan Congrats!!!

Congrats to your daughter @DCNatFan