Parents of the HS Class of 2019 - 3.0 to 3.4 GPA

Happy Sunday all. Have only posted a few times but never mentioned any visits. So far we have visited the following schools with D19:
Geneseo
Ithaca
Sacred Heart
Villa Nova
DeSales
Arcadia
D19 still expressing strong desire to be a physical therapist. Challenge is she likes all of the schools she has visited, a good challenge I guess :). All of the schools we have visited have a 3+3 or 4 +3 pathway to DPT however Villa Nova and Geneseo require the DPT portion to be completed at another school. DH and I worry worry about the length of time required to acheive DPT both from financial and time away standpoint. Plus salaries for PTs do not really seem in line with the amount of education and dedication required. She did some shadowing with PTs to be sure it is truly her goal and she is still saying yes. We are hoping to get visits in yet this summer to Quinnipiac, Nazereth Misericordia and Springfield but are a bit challenged as our two oldest have significant DD and keep us busy I guess if we get two more visits in, that would be a grand accomplishment :slight_smile: Also wanted to say how much we appreciate this group! You are all so helpful and I love hearing about everyone elseā€™s journeys!

@carolinamom2boys I highly suggest getting the EA apps in early (October) if possible. For my S17, by mid-November he had two acceptances and it took some of the pressure off. Some schools ay EA decisions by mid-December but we found they actually did them on a rolling basis.

@EENYMum I am an occupational therapist, and your assessment of salaries is spot on. Another thing to be aware of in many areas , companies use the PT for assessments, reassements and discharges and the day to day treatment of patients is delegated to a PTA because of cost.

@SwimmingDad thanks for the advice. He will have most of them done by late Oct early November. With DS16 , he had 5 acceptances by Christmas, including one Honors acceptance on Christmas Eve. He had a provisional acceptance to Clemson in his Jr year. It definitely took the pressure off. We hope DS19 is half as fortunate. Very different child because of test scores, but he has some realistic choices that heā€™d be excited to attend.

Back from our tour of the south and much to my surprise D19 absolutely loved Clemson. It was kind of an odd tour (9am) as many of the buildings were not yet open so we could not see the inside. She loved everything about the campus and of course they have the football program she wants.
She will definitely apply as soon as the app opens but will have to wait until September to have her transcript sent from school. Her stats are very borderline so I donā€™t think her odds are great for acceptance but you never know. Per Naviance the acceptance rate from our HS is not great (2018:17 apply/5 admit; 2017: 20 and 6; 2016: 19 and 8). The average stats are 3.46 GPA and 1311 SAT.

@carolinamom2boys Thank you for the validation :slight_smile: Part of my worry with any major she chooses is, where will that field/job be 10-15-20 years from now. How will tech/automation impact it? Would it be easy to transition into another related field? Guess this is a worry with any field. I would love to see her move more into medicine but she says she is not sure she can do that.

@EENYMum I donā€™t think that you need to worry about job security for PTs. Theyā€™ve been around for decades, and with it taking longer to graduate, the market is not flooded. Has she considered PA school. It doesnā€™t take as long and they have excellent job outlook. In terms of the medical field, I have seen a shift towards using PAs and NPs .

@carolinamom2boys I canā€™t say she has investigated PA or NP track but one admissions counselor was very pro this track and talked to D19 quite a bit about it, which was very nice. I may suggest she do a little digging into these fields just for fun (ha). Ironically most of the tours we were on were loaded with students interested in PA or nursing. So are either of your S interested in following in your OT footsteps :)?

@EENYMum No medical professionals unfortunately. DS19 is a CS major and DS19 is looking at Graphic Design or Historic Preservation majors. I have been an OT for 33 years and love it. The only other health profession that I would consider is PA.

St. Michaelā€™s is a wonderful LAC in a great college area - with UVM and Champlain College just down the road. I am a St. Mikeā€™s alum and saw this wonderful story just today - it profiles a young lady from Orlando who is a double major in Chem and Environmental Studies http://www.smcvt.edu/news/2018/june/timmel-among-top-undergrad-researchers-in-nation.aspx

@SwimmingDad I have been wondering about that all along. THANK YOU. Iā€™ll my one submit ED as soon as she can manage. Do apps open in August? I havenā€™t been able to find how early students can submit.

The Common Application begins in August, but many schools with rolling admissions open in July. We got our first rolling admissions decision last week.

@ninakatarina the only schools I know of with rolling are WFU and Ursinus. WFU is ED Binding. I had no idea there were other schools with rolling and non binding? Am I missing something (truly possible).

@TwinMom2023 the only decisions that are binding are early decision applications. You have to select that as the option when applying and you can only apply to one school ED and must remove applications from any other school once accepted at your ED school .

@carolinamom2boys So with some schools you just submit early and they start reviewing in late summer? I thought there were set windows and applications werenā€™t processed until the fall. Do they actually read/deny/accept in August with regular decision? Iā€™m so confused. I have been obsessively researching this for two years. How did I miss that? Oy.

@TwinMom2023 ā€“ my daughter has several schools on her list where the admissions office told her she would hear either way by December and possibly before Thanksgiving.

@TwinMom2023 I think more of the public, state universities have rolling admissions.

Kiddoā€™s acceptance is at Arcadia. We visited last spring and they offered to waive the app fee if we filled out an app on the spot. They said they started reviewing in the order that applications are received and we would probably hear back by the end of the summer.

Some schools have rolling admissions. The schools my kids applied to did (one public, one private) and each heard back within 2-3 weeks. Financial aid is not on rolling basis (and at the time FAFSA couldnā€™t be filed until Jan 1) so we couldnā€™t really make a decision until later.

@ninakatarina Wow. That is fabulous. Good for her.