Parents of the HS Class of 2021 3.0-3.4

@natty1988 I appreciate the info. We visited Western Colorado and she said it’s too small. We are visiting Montana State in a few weeks. She’s looked in to some of the others you listed and none piqued her interest enough. I think she’d love Western Washington but she’s not interested as of now. She’s hard to figure out.

Reports cards came out yesterday and D21 is very disappointed in herself. Her GPA is high for this thread but we are not looking at competitive schools so I joined here also.

She is usually above a 96.5 weighted, well she was a 94.7 this quarter. She had a rough quarter with her mental health issues, which ended with us putting her on medication. It’s 2 classes that brought her down, her college level Chem which we knew going in would be a tough class, she realizes know what I have been saying that she needs to put more effort in. And English, I don’t know what was going on in her head with that! Missing a few homeworks didn’t help. Hopefully she brings them back up. I don’t care but she does care where she ends up and wants to be top 10%.

I feel bad that she was disappointed but she has nobody to blame besides herself. Tough lesson to learn :frowning:

If she truly has mental health issues, than the above comment is extremely uneducated and insensitive. I pray that you never have to experience the debilitating illnesses that are depression and anxiety.

Really? I do suffer from anxiety and depression issues and the reason she didn’t work to her standards had nothing to do with her issues. She has been in therapy for years that was working and helping and just became too much. She put too much work on herself with all her EC, work and the tough classes. She did these things to herself, I didn’t force her too. These things and missing her homework had nothing to do with her mental health issues.

I know what’s best for my daughter, not you, so maybe mind your own business.

If anyone’s kid is taking the ACT with time and a half accommodation this Saturday, I just called to find out that will get out about 2:30 PM.

(It would be nice if they included that info anywhere on their website or on the ticket since kids can’t bring cell phones to the test center but now you know so you don’t have to wait on hold and talk with multiple people for 40 mintues to get the answer :neutral: )

I guess they lowered the max amount? My daughter got a little bit more 2 years ago (i think 12k, which was the max then). She didn’t end up there, but the Honors housing/program/priority registration seemed great, and the honors coordinator and other faculty we met with were amazing.

@schadret yes, it’s lower now. Seems everything is getting harder to get into and harder to get money from! Just my luck!

Well…D may have killed any chance she has of a four-year college at this point. Her GPA for the first semester this year was a 1.9–by FAR the worst she’s ever done. I haven’t calculated her overall but it’s probably around a 2.5 now. She’s had a lot of mental health issues this last year and it’s reflecting in her grades, unfortunately. I’m so sad for her because I know what she wants and feel like it’s close to impossible for her to get now. We’ll be meeting with her college counselor in another month. She’s in a very good place right now with meds and therapy and is off to a strong start for this semester (A+ in Pre Calc right now–yay!), but the damage she’s done can’t be fixed at this point. She’ll repeat a semester of Bio next year to try to replace the D she got in there. We’ll likely do a gap year, and then work and community college, unless some kind of miracle happens between now and then. I just feel really bad for her. For the rest of you with kids over a 3.0, count your blessings as they will have many OPTIONS whereas bright kids like mine with LDs and mental health issues simply will not.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. Maybe a really good essay talking about her struggles and how she is helping herself and her mental health will help. Don’t rule anything out, see what her GC says and maybe if there is a particular school she is interested in call and talk to the admissions officer or local rep for your area.

It makes me so sad that so many teens suffer with mental health issues :frowning:

@g8rmomk8ans I’m sorry you and D are going through this. Wait and see. My S17 was around a 2.6 or 2.8 depending on how you calculated it, and he ended up with a bunch of options. He even ended up with a D or an F senior year in his science class. I think CC makes us all think anything under a 3.0 is destined to community college. It’s not always the case (although maybe a great option, depending on the kid).

1 Like

@g8rmomk8ans I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I don’t, I’m sorry your daughter is facing these struggles… she sounds like a great kid. Whatever path she takes, she’ll do great because she has you behind her <3

@g8rmomk8ans adding my voice of sympathy and support for you and your daughter. :heart: It’s so easy for us to forget that life is really long, especially for a 16 year old, and great things lie ahead. Focus on the important things, her health and development, then all things will be possible, but maybe not the way we imagine.

@g8rmomk8ans My S17 had an overall high school weighted GPA of 77.84 (only slightly lower unweighted) and an ACT of 17 / SAT of 820 (with accommodations). He missed getting to play D1 football due to a 1.7 GPA in core academic courses but has persevered through a year at a junior college, a semester and summer at community college, and is now a student and playing football at a D2 school. He had a 1.9 GPA this past semester, but he is working hard to bring up his grades 2nd semester. Should he even be in college? Maybe not, but he is determined to graduate. If your daughter really wants to go to college, I’m sure she can, whether to community college and then transfer or to a less selective school. Maybe instead of nursing she will decide to pursue an associates degree in an allied health field such as physical therapy assistant, occupational therapy assistant, diagnostic medical sonographer, or respiratory therapist. Good job prospects and good pay in all of the above.

@g8rmomk8ans My nephew got into Seton Hall with a 1.9 GPA. There are plenty of colleges that will be happy to have your D. CC gives a very skewed view of college admissions.

Her pre-ACT was a 26 so I’m thinking she can get that up to a 27 or 28…which I HOPE will make someone want to give her a chance. She just really, really wants to find a direct admit nursing program. I’m going to have her counselor speak to admissions at Marymount, which is close to home and would be a great option to Comm College. I’m not sure if schools like that would ever take on a student for general studies and then if she does well, let her start into the nursing program after her first year. I don’t mind if that makes it a five-year track for her. We’ll just have to get the scoop.

I have a good feeling that things will work out for her :slight_smile:

@g8rmomk8ans She would probably be better off going to a school where the nursing program isn’t direct admit. She’s probably going to have a hard time getting into a direct-admit program with her GPA. But as you said, she could get in somewhere for general studies, do well, and then get into the nursing program because her HS GPA would be irrelevant.

Whatever path she chooses, it sounds like she will do just fine because she’s motivated. Good luck to her!

We’re taking advantage of the long weekend to see a couple of colleges. Rutgers on Saturday, the tour is on a bus since the campus is so big (!) And Juniata on Monday. A student from Juniata emailed my son inviting him to visit their mock trial meeting on Monday which is lovely, welcoming organization.

Anyone else doing visits?

I am taking DD to visit Montana State at the end of the month. They are having one of their full day programs.

We are going to SUNY Bing on Monday and planning RIT during our April break.