Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 1)

@inthegarden I don’t know if the PSAT10 has algebra 2 on it. My gut says that it must. D21 is in pre calc right now and has a high A and still didn’t do great on math PSAT this year but I’m pretty familiar with how the SAT and PSAT math questions are worded and they are very different than the ACT. If she switches to the SAT, she’ll have to practice those sections.

I’d like for her to get to 1400 which is equivalent to a 31 if she switches. I’m lowering my expectations. For most of the schools on her list, a 31 is smack dab in the middle for accepted students. If she can’t get higher than that, then I think she will have to go ED and I’ll have to convince my husband. Or she could do Wake ED as test optional. Lots of time left, right? I want to believe that!

oh and @inthegarden , you can tell which “dot” is your child because it’s different. It’s blue with a little person in it surrounded by a circle.

Unfortunately my daughters PSAT not on naviance yet. Not sure if it matters but PA scores not on college board until December 11.

Got 1360 on PSAT 10. Hoping for a bit better on the real thing but probably not going to be a NMF so really looking to the SAT on Dec 7 and ACT on Feb 8 as those are the tests that are going to really matter.

For those of you that got them on Naviance what was the date College Board said your state scores were going to be announced

@burghdad Illinois is Dec. 10th but the school got them today.

The page on the College Board website about PSAT score release notes that scores would be released to educators today.

@homerdog @evergreen5 It’s funny I seemed to remember from D18 that PSAT available on Naviance earlier.and I actually went on to check earlier today. But so far no scores.

Thanks for the information.

Just realized why the PSAT is unlikely to end up in D’s Naviance early - it wasn’t her school sponsored standardized test. Hers is an SAT sometime in April. This PSAT was optional and taken on a Saturday just like any other SAT/ACT - so her school is unlikely to be doing a mass download.

@3kids2dogs that’s interesting. As you know we are in Illinois too and this PSAT was mandatory for juniors and during the school day. April SAT also mandatory at school for them.

@homerdog - it is interesting how different districts work.

D’s school doesn’t require any PSAT or SAT - everything is on your own on a Saturday, but they still uploaded her PSAT score sophomore year. She didn’t bother this year because NMF wasn’t in reach. She did the August test at a different school closer to home, and that was uploaded as well.

D’s total PSAT score popped into Naviance today. It’s a good score, but way too low for NMSQ in Illinois. 1400, index of 210. Onward and upward!

Very frustrating that our high school has not loaded scores into Naviance. BTW if they can give score to school why can’t they give students access to the scores directly at the same time. Not sure why there has to be a 7-1o difference. Does anyone have any explanation?

Congrats to those whose kiddos who got their PSATs!

D21 school also has Naviance but school hasn’t loaded them yet. Ours are supposed to be avail Dec 10 as well. D21 did take the PSAT as a 10th grader at a local private school and got an 1150 then took the SAT this past Aug and increased to 1280. HUGE increase in math. 510 PSAT to 670 SAT but ERW went down from 640 to 610

She took the practice PSAT that came with the booklet school gave her A week before the test and got a 1380 so we will see what happens. She said the math was harder than the SAT but ERW was easy. Oh no!

This year, our district in Illinois made the PSAT optional for the first time. It was during a school day, but now the kids taking it missed classes and had to attend afternoon classes (it used to be administered on a day off).

People were not happy with the logistics…not sure what will happen next year. Of 1,000 kids, about 50% took the test, 50% didn’t.

@Mwfan1921, our school did it that way as well. My D23 missed classes for the morning to take the test. I actually believe it was mandatory for 10th graders, but optional for all others. My S21 didn’t take the PSAT (no chance he’d be in NMF territory, and he took SAT on Oct 5 with a second sitting scheduled for March, so we didn’t see the point in the PSAT for him), but D23 took the school sponsored one just to start practicing…we don’t have Naviance, but I thought @homerdog’s luck in finding scores on the grading portal might work out in our case, too. No luck there so far. Her PSAT 8/9 is in there, so I know the PSAT will show up eventually, but not yet. She didn’t feel great about it, so I’m just hoping there’s a touch of improvement since the PSAT 8/9. Good luck to all of those hoping for NMF level scores.

D21s score just got posted to Naviance. I haven’t told her that I’ve been checking constantly because I didn’t want to stress her out - when I suggested we use the VPN trick next week to get scores on Monday she said she didn’t want to know… She did great. Now I don’t know if I can keep the secret and let her find out on her own or what. Oy.

@mm5678, congratulations! My son has strictly forbidden me to wait for him to look at his scores! What is the VPN trick? We would love to find out on Monday instead of Wednesday for Texas.

@mm5678 what is the VPN trick?

My D21’s scores also posted on Naviance this morning. College Board saying scores will be out Dec 9-11.