Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 1)

@3kids2dogs I love when the reps come to our school. We have hundreds of schools come. S19 went to maybe ten presentations as a junior and a few more as a senior. For bigger or more popular schools like Northwestern, our high school caps the students who can attend at 50 so those meetings aren’t super special, just a presentation from the rep. BUT if the school tracks interest, they would count that meeting since kids have to sign in. The most exciting meetings were the ones where just a handful of kids showed up. Our S19 was interested in LACs and not many kids from our school apply to them (or if they do they are athletes and going through the athletic dept not the admissions office). S19 met with the reps from Davidson, Colby, Carleton, Kenyon and more almost by himself. Some of those had two kids or maybe three. It was practically an interview. He got to know the rep and she got to know him. I think it was super helpful and he got into all of the schools whose reps he met at these in-school meetings.

I’ve signed D21 up for a few this month but only one of her favorites is coming. I hope a few more schools on her list will send a rep in October.

Okay, I’ve found a way to calm down and not stress so much now, and I really enjoy reading everyone’s comments, so I hope you don’t mind if I rejoin the conversation. I also realize I have more in common with many of you than I originally thought, especially now that D21 is taking in-person classes (two different colleges – two courses at a community college and one course at a four-year state college).

Since no one in our family has been in a classroom for grades since 2002 (that was me for grad school), I was surprised to learn that D21’s assignments need to be turned in online, and not in person in class. She has lots of presentations and group work in class, and of course discussions in class, but papers and quizzes are still done online at home. Which is what she is used to after doing her middle and high school courses online in the past. So it’s more of the same but with one or two in-person classroom times with other students each week for each course. Two of her college courses meet once a week for three hours at a time, and her other college course meets twice a week for an hour and a half each time. She loves meeting the other students and the group discussions, but it is not that much different from what she’s been doing all along. There were Skype or other such virtual meetings instead of in-person, but the discussion is the same kind of thing, so I guess when someone tells you they’ve done online schooling, realize it might not be that much different from the “norm” anymore (at least with high quality online providers that incorporate live meetings each week).

What she gets a real kick out of is the in-person personalities of her professors. One is incredibly strict, which is fine with her…in the syllabus, he stated there would be pop quizzes sometimes during a specific 24-hour period some weeks. D21 was therefore prepared and took the first quiz when it showed up…and then got to class to find out that 75% of the other students hadn’t realized they missed a quiz because they hadn’t read the syllabus. There goes a few percentage points of their grades. The professor expects each student to participate fully, know the material thoroughly before they get to class (questions are fine of course), and will absolutely call on anyone who looks even slightly tired. He has no mercy…and D21 loves this, because she feels like it gives her an extra incentive to be prepared, and she loves diving into discussion about the material anyway. She and her professor seem to get along just fine thus far. D21 has always kind of thrived on stress, and I think she enjoys the sink-or-swim aspect of the class, lol. A different professor spends half the time talking about the subject and then half the time going off on semi-related tangents, which my daughter thinks is funny but also stressful since it means she needs to learn much of the material on her own. Her third professor seems to be standard normal lecturer. Anyway, she’s having a blast and she feels her education thus far has well prepared her for what she’s doing now, so that’s good. She might get her first B in one of these courses from the sink-or-swim professor since he grades HARSHLY…but she’ll learn a ton from him so that’s okay.

Her other three courses are online APs, which take up more of her time than the college classes, but so far she is juggling everything well along with her ECs and volunteer work. She gets between 7-8 hours of sleep a night, and I am hoping that can continue.

She didn’t get as high as she wanted on her SATs in August, but it seems like the curve was difficult this past session, so she’ll try again in March after spending her winter break on more focused study. She’s got the score she needs in reading, but needs/wants a higher score in math.

Her college list is done but needs to be whittled (too many!). If she doesn’t get her math SAT score up, then that will take care of some of the tippy-tops on her list anyway. She has two real safeties she would be happy to attend, so that takes some of the pressure off.

Just received an email from the guidance counselor at S21’s school. Yep, there’s only one. It’s a really small, Catholic high school. Apparently, we will have access to SCOIR this year. Assuming this is something like Naviance? Didn’t have either for S19.

Great. Another thing to make me obsess that I have managed to avoid due to lack of access. LOL!

@3kids2dogs At my D17’s school, admissions rep meetings were mostly in the form of informal presentations/conversations with a lot of give and take. As @homerdog reported, it’s a good way to show interest and to make contact with the regional rep. Seniors got first dibs and juniors could participate as their schedule permitted and if there was space. My kid found them very useful.

@JanieWalker Sounds like your D is learning more than just academics this semester. Great to have to have early exposure to the different teaching and expectations of professors.

@mm5678 Yes, AP CHem is by far D’s hardest class. She has made a 63 and 73 on quizzes. It is moving very fast. D is staying after school correcting quizzes up to a grade 80, retaking a test also up to a great 80. A huge learning curve just trying to figure out how to survive. The teacher teaches on a given subject X, homework is XX but Test is over XXXXXX . It is definitely not the plug and chug chemistry she had last year.

@JanieWalker Thanks for the update, it was a very interesting read!! It sounds like your daughter is doing very well.

My son began at a residential boarding school this year and when he was home for break a week ago his grades were very good so far. I am not sure how long he can keep it up as he is getting very little sleep. I guess it is better that he learns to manage his time and sleep now but I am afraid burning the candle at both ends will catch up with him in this very important year. At least he has some great classes…

@yearstogo, Nice to hear your son is doing well at his new boarding school! :slight_smile:

I hear you and @homerdog and everyone else about the potential lack of sleep issues. So far D21 is doing okay, but I can see what’s on her plate over the next few weeks and I don’t understand how a healthy amount of sleep is going to happen. Sleep is so important. I hope your son and my daughter and everyone else’s teens can keep the right amount of zzzz’s going each evening.

@BingeWatcher first AP Chem test today. And first AP Physics test today too. I went to open house last night where the AP chem teacher said “they all do poorly on this test, but it gets better”! So I’m prepared. The AP Chem and AP Physics exams are on the same day in May… will cross that bridge when we get there!

Thanks @homerdog and @mamaedefamilia for the info about the visits from the reps. Nice to hear people do a bunch. She’ll sign up for the ones she’s interested in. As I told her, if she gets a horrible feeling about the school at the rep visit, we can eliminate it from our Spring Break trip and add something else. Or it might increase her interest. Except for missing class, it can’t hurt.

And I agree with everyone on the lack of sleep. D is trying really hard to get decent sleep. Last Spring, she fell into a pattern where she was so tired, she took a nap after school and then was up super late doing homework, only to do it again the next day. It was awful on so many levels - hour and half nap plus 4 hours sleep isn’t even as “restful” as 5.5 hours of straight sleep. She vows not to do that again and has gone so far as to not even go into her bedroom after school; she stays in the family room to do homework/watch videos or whatever so she can be accountable to herself! So far, so good.

Funny story - we went to a local Tulane admissions visit yesterday (not as exciting as I wanted it to be) and in the car ride home we were talking about applications and the concept about letters of recommendation came up.

In the conversation, we figured out that her AP Lang teacher (who is also the department head, so maybe that’s why it’s on his brain) is quietly and stealthily trying to get to know each kid so he can write a great LOR for them.

She says every time they conference with him about their projects, he asks each one what they do outside of school or what’s a challenge they’ve overcome or are working through - classic info for a LOR.

She didn’t put it together until that moment, but said she’d definitely ask him for one since he’s practically begging to write the entire class a letter. She’s the type that doesn’t want to ask any extra of anyone, so she actually seemed quite relieved when she realized that he WANTS to write the letters. :smile:

Well, pre-calc is off the schedule!!! From day 1, D didn’t like the teacher - he began day 1 with a lecture on how pre-calc is an elective, so if you’re in the class, you must want to be challenged!! D immediately texted after class (it’s her last period): “It’s an elective??? Why am I taking it then???” LOL it was her decision, but apparently the counselor didn’t tell the kids it was an elective and not required!

2 quizzes (6 days into the school year, 1 pop quiz) and a failing grade later, I spent Friday night talking her off the ledge (she checked the grade portal at 11pm, with a 6:30am wake up call Saturday for the ACT). She was sobbing until midnight. D is the type to put a lot of pressure on herself, but I told her just not worth the stress!!! I know her, if it’s like this the first week, she will be a mess all year! Met with guidance this morning, and she will be switching a couple things around and taking Statistics. Kind of annoying, because she would have taken Stats from the get go if she knew she could! Hopefully catching up on the first week or so won’t be too terrible. Luckily, not scheduled to work this week or weekend, so should have time to play catch up.

On the bright side, she seemed to bounce back Saturday morning for the ACT. Said the math was WAY easier than the August SAT, so we shall see!

D21 ended up sick and didn’t take the ACT this Saturday. Now she’s signed up for October and Dec tests. We really went back and forth on trying to decide what to do but she hadn’t slept well Wed or Thursday night and couldn’t make it through the day at school on Friday. I’m actually a little relieved as it will give her five weeks to do more full practice tests. I wrote three on the calendar starting this Saturday and told her that any other ACT studying is up to her but that these dates are set in stone!

S21 passed his road test this weekend!!! We went to the DPS first thing this morning (letting him miss first period lol) and he is now officially a licensed driver!!!

Not going to lie, I am ecstatic that my days as Marching Band Rehearsal Uber Service is now coming to an end!!!

Now that this is out of the way, I can finally get him to turn all his focus to the Oct PSAT and Nov SAT date!!

Any upcoming school visits planned? S’s fall sport will keep him busy for the next few months, but he’s agreed to squeeze in a visit sometime before Thanksgiving. No idea where we’re headed yet, but it’s about time the rubber hist the road - literally.

@eb23282 all 3 of my boys are in marching band, so school visits during the fall are impossible. We have 3 in state schools to visit sometime in the Spring, have yet to figure out when exactly!

@eb23282 - we have nothing planned until Spring Break. Spring Break is going to be packed!

I really wanted to get down to Denison this fall but we haven’t been able to plan that trip with D21’s ECs. Maybe we can make it work in mid-Nov.

She’s been to a handful of LACs since she came along with us and S19. I took her to Wisconsin this summer. Planning to see Wake, Richmond, and Davidson (for a second time) for spring break. I’d like to get her to Colgate and Hamilton but not sure when that’s going to happen. I’d like to go when it’s cold so that she can get what it’s like in upstate NY versus NC. I’d also like her to see Bates. I don’t know how realistic all of this travel is. I need to lay a calendar out and really try to plan. It’s expensive and time consuming but I think it really helped S19 to see a good number of the schools he applied to. Helped him confirm he wanted to apply and to write good essays.

We are driving to Trinity (San Antonio) in two weeks for a day visit, and we’re signed up for a local presentation from UT Dallas in early October. That’s it for now. It’s college fair season here, there’s one at her school in early October and a regional STEM fair later in October. We’ll start with those, maybe try for another day visit somewhere before winter break. We’re planning to do a regional visit “somewhere” over Spring Break - wish my kid would decide what region of the country she’s interested in so I can plan!!

We are going to tour one of our state schools later this month (and visit S17, who’s a junior there!). D21 seems pretty confident she already wants to go there, so this may be a much easier process than I thought! We are going to see Clark in November, and will probably add a couple other schools while we’re up there but not sure yet.

After, that we’ll wait until spring break. A family member works at Quantico so will be getting us a tour and we’ll see a few VA/MD schools. D21 wants to work at the FBI so this has her thrilled!

We are trying to determine which, if any, of the schools DS hopes to apply to value visits. So far, Rice is the only one which seems to value it. He has spent significant time on campuses so our current plan is to apply and spend the time/money travelling after we see who accepts him. His safeties are instate and he will be able to spend decent time at those campuses over the next year and a half. Most of his others have low acceptance rates so I cannot see going unless he has a choice to make.

For those of you that are doing visits, please post thoughts/impressions if you can. Good luck!