Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Well, at this particular school when I received the dues statement last year I nearly passed out. It was more than 5k! My other daughter who goes to a school on the East Coast it was WAY less!

Ironically, to live in the house, the southern one is cheaper, much better food, and in normal years they have maids come in their rooms and make their beds!! I was like, what?? They should get rid of that so these girls learn what the real world is like! The other house is more money to live, the food stinks, and the house isn’t even that nice. Same sorority but two different schools, go figure.

Dues this year are way cheaper thankfully but I am sure that’s because they’re aren’t freshman and because of covid. I’m not complaining.

1 Like

Covid absolutely does affect kids this age. Not just in having long term effects but also mentally and socially. The suicide rate is higher in this age group as a result of covid. So while some of these kids may not have gotten covid, some of them may not have died by suicide if covid weren’t affecting their well being to such degrees. Every two weeks I seem to be reading about a death in this age group due to suicide.

I counted the UC apps as different ones too.

1 Like

Have you seen any reports or stats on the increase in suicides? Not doubting you, I just have not seen anything written about it to indicate it has in fact increased. I can see that it would happen and it would be interesting to see the numbers.

Sorry, but no matter how you spin it, the disease does not affect kids my age
medical.study after study has shown that schools are not spreaders and more kids under 25 die from the flu in a year. I also reference the new New England Journal of Medicine study out this week.

Many of my classmates (at my school at least) believe It is the policies set in place by our parents generation “to protect” us from this disease (where the average age of death is 80) that has led to the increase in suicides, etc. It is the loneliness of virtual study at home and an inability to be in school or get together with friends that likely has ended more teen lives than Covid.

I will not get into the logical fallacy of possible “long term issues” of a disease that wasn’t around a year ago.

Getting off my soap box now Because I Do not want to get into a political argument. Parents and leaders do not realize how disappointed kids are that their high school and college years have been usurped for something which affects their grandparents.

Sorry if that hurts feelings but as one of your kids, I know it’s true.

6 Likes

Frankly, my process has been that I will not attend a school where I can not tour it or be assured that I will likely be on campus obtaining a real college experience next fall.

I was able to tour three schools in Ohio (Kenyon, Denison and my safety, Dayton) where I even gasp got to go in a couple buildings. I will have ability to tour two others this February (Furman, Rhodes)where classes we on campus and will be this spring. I plan to go to my top choice right now in April (SMU).

Yet my moms top choice (Rochester) here in good old NY is unable to tour as are the schools SCU and LMU in California which were my desired schools.

Why is that? Is the NY and CA virus more virulent?

1 Like

As my father puts it, he will be happy to pay whatever he can for college. However, he is the type of guy who is not going to buy a car without being able to take it for a test drive.

He also says he worries for his generation BC in 20-30 years, it will be my generation making decisions and frankly we are being shortchanged educationally in a way that will lead us to be unprepared for the problems of the world
or so mad that we stick you all in nursing homes and forget about you (he has a very dry sense of humor.)

End of diatribe. I am off to work now to save up money so that college can be attainable and fun.

Something that high school certainly has not been.

3 Likes

If I can be in a classroom teaching elementary aged children synchronously, every college professor who is not immune compromised should be able to. There is very little in school spread. Most cases are happening when people are gathering outside of school because they are friends.
It is ridiculous that a 5-10 year old can do synchronous learning but a college student cannot!

3 Likes

I am in NY so understand your dealing with it. However, watching NYS response compared to other states has led me to apply to only one NYS school (Rochester) and that’s BC Mom forced me too.

Frankly, I am also just sick of the snow and cold
want to see the sun once in awhile. :joy::joy:

That is the point. Due to the lack of getting kids in K-12 back in school, the SEL of kids like you and others and many college kids as well, suicide rates have increased. That is a fact if covid. Kids need to be in school. As far as colleges are concerned, there are some schools that handled it well, whether it was by testing wastewater, testing kids regularly, and having a huge contract tracing program, they showed they can have a successful in person and somewhat normal semester. My daughter went back in the fall. Now many more students who stayed remote are returning on campus this semester due to their success. She has also been much more restricted in her activity while at home because she isn’t testing as regularly and willing to put us at risk by being close to one another. At school there are protections in place to prevent spread. It’s when kids are not in school and out socializing running around then coming home that can create problems.

Separately there is inherent long term risk especially for those who have family members that already have genetic conditions that these student are already at greater risk for. Many people my kids know have had rebound cases and long term effects. Headaches, the onset of asthma being asymptomatic super spreaders etc. but as a parent and educator, remote learning is not the way to go and kids need to get back in school but safely back in school. I return in person for hybrid shortly which is better than nothing but even my own high schooler doesn’t look like he will be returning at all this year due to unrealistic metrics set by our district but it is what it is.

Here is an article talking about mental stress and suicide ideation during covid. Also there are many out there, all you need to do is google it. Additionally, there is also a huge increase of drug use/opioids mainly and death that way as well that upon searching you will find. Again this all goes to the SEL mental health of people. A huge cost of covid that hasn’t really been addressed and where it has, not that well. Mental Health, Substance Use, and Suicidal Ideation During the COVID-19 Pandemic — United States, June 24–30, 2020 | MMWR

Here’s another one about increased suicides in the army since the pandemic began. As suicide cases rise, Army leaders encourage Soldiers to recognize warning signs | Article | The United States Army

@datdude420 Why are you in a parent thread lecturing to a bunch of people who have kids your age? We all recognize the damage the pandemic is doing to our country, our economy, and of course our children. I suggest you direct your anger at the virus itself (and lack of containment of the virus) rather than universities who are walking a very fine line between staying open and closing (some for good). Obviously some universities are more cautious than others. If your number one priority is in person classes, then you should probably check out smaller colleges in the south in smaller towns because they are able to create more of bubble (limiting exposure). The more populous the place, the more chances there are of spread, doesn’t that make sense? All of us want life to return to normal and for kids to have a relatively normal experience when they start college. I’ve got 2 in college already (one a freshman) plus a high school senior. I am extremely aware of how bad much of it sucks, but you need to focus on making informed decisions going forward. Perhaps a gap year would increase the chances that you start college normally. Complaining to a parent thread about government or university policies is really not productive. (Look, I know you’re just venting, but take a step back and think through where you will be happy considering all of the circumstances. That’s the best thing you can do right now.)

17 Likes

I think we are in the same ballpark just opposite ends of the basepath. :joy::joy:

To me, The fact that any child is not in school full time because of this disease that does not DIRECTLY affect them (I.e. not sick, or in the ICU)will go down as my parents generation’s shameful legacy. We must not talk about anything else but the response COVID the disease itself is the reason for all this mess. The other parts of your argument which are serious would have been preventable with a competent response because they come as a result of the response to the disease.

Logically these are totally separate things. Without kids being forced to stay home away from their friends due to the initial fears of Covid, then suicides would not rise, opioid abuse would not rise, domestic violence would not have increased, etc.

My friends believe our parents’ generation should feel guilty because they are destroying soooo many of their children’s lives. It does not affect me or many of my friends as much because we have the ability to attend school in person everyday at our private school. My friends and I are all going to be able to attend good schools and be okay.

Yet, I look at my best friend next door to me who is hybrid at the local Suburban public school. We take the same Math class but he is 2 chapters behind where my class is at
I can only imagine the problems faced by younger kids who are falling behind or, even worse, kids at inner city districts like Buffalo where kids have not entered a classroom since March. Those kids were already behind and I can only imagine how they must feel.

Yet, these policies continue because too many government and school leaders in NY and elsewhere say hybrid learning is somehow okay or as you put it “It is what it is.” Sorry it just is not. Kids need to be in school full time and summer vacation should be canceled to help make up for the lost time.

I realize that won’t happen due to labor and cost issues but it should.

Okay now I am getting yelled it to get back to work so gotta go. Have a great day and your kids are lucky to have someone who cares for them like you. If only all parents cared as much maybe we wouldn’t be in such a bad situation.

Take care.

3 Likes

Sorry, but there are many teens with no underlying conditions that have died from Covid. It’s sad that you think otherwise.

12 Likes

Define many.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/covid-children-deaths/2020/09/25/9df39bf4-fdad-11ea-8d05-9beaaa91c71f_story.html

4 Likes

Cases in CA are crazy because people are having many gatherings and not following the guidelines. Hospitals are essentially full. LA County is a disaster, Santa Clara county is pretty bad as well. Colleges aren’t open at all. So if LMU and SCU were your first choice, don’t expect them to open in person any time soon. My son lives in SF and just returned after living here since March and WFH. They required a 10 day quarantine for anyone traveling into the Bay Area and don’t even want anyone traveling within the Bay area its such a mess.

I wasn’t thrilled about him finally wanting to go back, but he now has a bunch of roommates and they’ve made an agreement to abide by the rules, stay inside, and deal with the quarantine and shut down together so at least he’s not alone, but it is pretty bad all around.

As far as SMU, great school but Texas is not so great for covid either, so if you end up there, you will see a huge difference over NY. Just a head’s up.

1 Like

Thank you.

I did google and found an article that indicated suicide ideation has increased, similar to yours, but nothing concrete on the increase in suicide itself. Hopefully it does not come to that.

Re the military, it seems they deal with a lot more than the general populace and not sure how useful it is to draw parallels with them.

Fair enough.

@evergreen5 @sushiritto @homerdog I think SCU has enjoyed a stingy high pay strategy in the past and it’s not working out well for them this year. I suspect that the unusual deadline extension is to attract more full pay internationals.

The school is high on my S’ list and I intend to try to put the squeeze on them for a better merit award if it’s on the top 2 at the end. He’s already got better offers from comparable schools selectivity-wise, including one offer for more than double the SCU offer. If they get a lot of qualified international full pay applicants or can reopen this semester, then they are less likely to adjust by much.

If it looks in April at all likely that they will be closed next fall then I’m not sure they will make it to the top 2. Tough part is that virus news of late is such a mixed bag. The mutations are freaking me out.

2 Likes