Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

My kid applied to 5 flagship state schools and one other state school. She got all her acceptances between Nov- Feb.

2 Likes

Congrats! How nice for her!

I suspect that is not typical, simply because RD is so much larger for most schools. It all depends on the list.

1 Like

She did apply and we have heard nothing yet. I have been checking the UM EA thread periodically for updates. Good luck to your D!

Thank you for the input
am a junior now but very interested in going there. Of the people you know who go there, do you know anything about the merit scholarships they received as I will need one of those to be able to attend!,

I’m not going to speak for srparent15, but I think the point is that just because you CAN sit on acceptances doesn’t mean you SHOULD. One can only attend one college at a time. We are 2 months away from acceptance deadlines and most financial aid packages have come out. Why sit on half dozen or more acceptances? Sr qualified the statement by using “not always” meaning there are valid reasons, but a lot of times it’s, as my dad would say, just a “sh*t or get off the pot” situation.

5 Likes

What is Yeti?

We’ll just agree to disagree. My position is clear and some other posters’ positions are clear. You aren’t going to convince me otherwise and neither am I going to convince you or other posters.

9 Likes

The majority of my daughter’s college acceptances have not sent financial aid packages yet. So we don’t want to make a decision until we receive those.

11 Likes

And a lot of kids this year haven’t gotten to see the colleges they’ve gotten accepted to. Our spring break isn’t until mid-April, so we won’t be turning down most offers until after that, hoping we can see some more.

11 Likes

I’m more of a lurker than a poster - but thanks to you all ALL I can focus on now is wanting to order a ridiculously expensive customized YETI!! :star_struck: If only I knew where D21 is going!

12 Likes

I suspect that kids holding current offers will start turning them down after their March decisions (and FA) are in. So, I would think by early April, waitlist activity would be cranking up. Hang on, one more month.

It’s also worth noting that Ivy day is pushed back, to what, April 7 or something? There will be some kids holding financial safeties (such as a big merit school) until then.

And I too now need to find out what this yeti stuff is all about

7 Likes

That makes perfect sense. Seeing a school in-person to rule in or out is important.

I tell S21 that he needs to decide if we are flying out to MA to visit a school in person. I am really to make reservations, but if he decides he doesn’t want to bother, then it probably needs to come off.

1 Like

Ok— new topic:
NEvibe (competitive) is it a thing you have sensed on campuses, is it unique to the NE, are some selective schools truly more collaborative or competitive? Rice and Tufts tout themselves as being more collaborative than other comparable schools. Thoughts?

Asking as someone raised and schooled in NE. I definitely felt it, but have since settled in the PNW. My D is very driven and absolutely pushes herself to excel, but she is the farthest thing from competitive when thinking about her interactions with others.

2 Likes

Seems to me that NE = competitive college vibe is too broad a brush, not quite on point. NE vibe I would describe as a different interpersonal vibe, which is unrelated to academic competitiveness vs collaberation. I would describe a NE vibe as more aloof, maybe even occasionally antagonistic, interpersonally/socially. Just a different geographic culture. Nonetheless, a NE college could be collaborative, or at least not competitive student vs student, from an academic perspective.

2 Likes

Nor should you. All of our EA acceptance schools have issued FA packages, so I wrongly assumed most EA folks have gotten theirs. Hope all yours comes soon!

Along the lines of sitting on acceptances
My daughter was deferred/postponed EA at Michigan, and she decided not to send in the optional LOCI, because she was kind of turned off by the deferral decision and therefore most likely won’t go. On the Michigan board I was told she should withdraw her application
 I disagree. We paid the application fee and she spent her time writing the essays
 Michigan should take the time to evaluate her application.

10 Likes

With over 9000 apps this year, Denison uses the tools available to identify who is really interested and to determine campus culture fit. Denison has said for several years that it is not using the significant growth in apps to simply accept the highest stat applicants. Like at most LACs, fit matters enormously, and Denison’s culture is one which emphasizes “living with diversity” and engagement. I’m confident @homerdog’s daughter would be a good fit for Denison but it sounds like, by not doing the zoom with Admissions or writing the essay to show fit, she decided that, on balance, that wasn’t a priority. A completely reasonable decision for her to make, but one which signaled to Admissions that Denison was not a top choice for her. The waitlist with merit, if admitted, is a way to tell the student that, if they are in fact serious about the school, then there would be mutual interest. With an acceptance rate around 28-29% for several years now, Denison cannot be assumed to be a safety ,regardless of stats.

4 Likes

I went back and looked at our Naviance for Denison and there are zero waitlists from the last three years and D’s GPA is a good distance above all of the green check marks. They were accepting kids down below a B average with 1100 SATs in the last three years. (I can’t see it by year on the chart so those checks might be older.) They’ve accepted everyone but two kids in the last three years with 8-10 kids applying each year. So this is definitely a departure from how they’ve handled admissions from our school. It’s ok.D had a lot on her plate and spent countless hours writing essays and showing interest to other schools. I actually think the WL plus merit option is kind of brilliant on Denison’s part. I’ve never seen that.

10 Likes

Given that information from your school, sounds like yield protection to me! With ample time to accept the WL (and the money), it sounds like this is really a question of tone. A prospective student could be turned off. I personally think the opposite strategy is more effective. For example, if a kid gets an early postcard from W&M with a hand scribbled note on it, chances are the school will rise in their estimation.

4 Likes

@annegp Interesting philosophical question -

2 years ago, I had one kid apply ED. She pulled her other apps with the exception of the 1 she heard from before she accepted her ED since we were reviewing the Financials still. She was so frustrated that all her hard work on applying to those other schools was for naught. She had worked on her essays since November of Junior year. But it wasn’t for naught, she applied ED and she knew that. I know the not knowing still annoy her, but she also knew that was the right thing to do regardless of knowing that people often don’t pull apps even in the ED process.

My other daughter did not apply ED. Applied to 6 schools also, she was accepted to her first choice right away, however, one thing that may have swayed her to other schools would have been $ if they had a comparable program. She was accepted into Michigan Engineering and lost a friend over it because the friend felt she stole her spot. The friend wasn’t applying to Engineering and my daughter did not steal her spot. This friend was not getting into UM on a good day, and ultimately was rejected, not even deferred. This same daughter was also bullied about not pulling an application to USC (CA) but she had a right not to pull it because she was waiting to see if she would receive a scholarship there to again compare to her program that was at the top of her list. She did not apply ED and yes as someone said yesterday, she wasn’t legally obligated to decline any decisions, but she did decline the schools she knew she wasn’t going to, the ones that offered her money so maybe someone else could get it, CS at UIUC so maybe someone else now would get in off their waitlist. But she didn’t keep all of them, only the 3 that she knew she may seriously consider. When she didn’t get the USC scholarship, and knew she didn’t want Michigan Engineering she withdrew and committed.

I try to teach my kids the right thing to do. That is the lesson I am trying to teach my kids. Yes, with my son now he has the right to hold on to all of his decisions until May but having the right, doesn’t necessarily mean that’s the right thing to do. Maybe his giving up a spot will help someone else, maybe it won’t. Maybe someone else giving up a spot will help him, maybe it won’t. But I try to teach my kids to be respectful of others and hope they become respectful adults. All of our kids spent hours and hours completing applications and their hard work should be rewarded, but does it make them feel any less of a person for declining a decision prior to May 1. As previously mentioned, there are many sound reasons to hold a decision - not able to visit, financial, waiting for merit, even waiting to see if they’ll make a decision about the fall, but to just hold a decision because one can and for no other reason just seems to be selfish.

8 Likes