Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Thanks. But I’m 99.99% sure D will NOT be accepted by UCLA. But that’s OK. SLO is D’s “golden ticket.” :+1:

15 Likes

Same here!
I get headaches out of stress.

I am glad that she has SLO. But don’t lose hope until this Friday evening for UCLA. No one can predict anything this year.

And in the end wherever they go, we will all celebrate with a big relief on May 1.

3 Likes

I am glad we have SLO too. We got one acceptance and one waitlist today just like yesterday.

1 Like

Where are the families like us who have a fairly high stat kid 3.9 unweighted, 4.36 weighted, honors, ap, community college classes, 4 years of same sport with leadership, job etc that are getting nothing but waitlists for all the California schools? Our guidance counselors are stumped and telling us kids with lower stats are getting the acceptances and the higher stat kids are getting all the waitlists. It’s so bonkers we are waffling between laughs and tears. I guess on brand for life this past year.

12 Likes

My boys have a school full of high stats kids who are getting a lot of waitlisting from the UCs. There were more acceptances today for UCSB than there were from SC yesterday. UCSC was mostly waitlists. But I have not heard about lower stats kids getting the acceptances.

1 Like

Our school got lots wait lists today for SB just like they did for SLO. Counselor felt very uncomfortable telling us that lower stat kids were getting accepted but I appreciated the truth. Class is 850 kids if that makes a difference.

1 Like

S21 accepted to Fordham and Skidmore yesterday. We never got a chance to visit Fordham but really liked Skidmore for him when we were there. That was in the Before Times, though… it feels so long ago!

26 Likes

Wow. What an article. Thanks for posting.

Congrats to your S, Curiosa2!!!

Maybe repeat visits in April?

1 Like

Congratulations! Glad you were able to see Skidmore pre-pandemic.

College attendance, from the admissions process to financing four years, is a hard to navigate situation for many families. The stress my family feels, like many of you, is tremendous.

Just my opinion, but I disagree with the author and I would never blame or criticize any parent for using their immense financial resources to benefit their children. I don’t personally have those means, but the truth is that when push comes to shove many of their children are better educated and more prepared for college. Attending an elite private school is a great benefit but I find nothing morally wrong with the system. I am much more disturbed when athletes are granted admission and scholarship dollars even though their academic achievements and test scores are far from stellar. The way high level athletes are catered to in high school and AAU, coupled with the actions of their helicopter parents, is far worse in my opinion.

Those of us squarely in the middle class and lacking elite athleticism will continue to have a challenging path, but it’s there for anyone willing to do the work.

8 Likes

I’m not blaming anyone for wanting to get their kids into the Ivy League schools. I was just surprised by the percentage of kids from elite prep schools that fill the ranks of the Ivies even as they talk about diversity, inclusion, creating classes that incorporate all kinds of different skills, geography etc.

Maybe I was naive but thought the old prep school stuff had become a thing of the past.

And I disagree with your last statement that it is there for anyone who wants to put in the work. Perfect test score straight A’s 10-15 AP generally are not enough fir those of us who don’t send out kids to elite prep schools.

11 Likes

Yep, sorry didn’t mean for that to come across as a comment directed toward you. My thoughts were aimed at the author who seems to find a moral problem with wealthy people using their wealth. I think parents will always use whatever they have to help their kids.

2 Likes

Our class is only 200. Very educated community near Berkeley.

Gotcha. :grinning:

1 Like

D21 in at Dickinson with Presidential Scholarship! After interviewing for (and not advancing) Stamps at Pitt and Jefferson at UVA, it’s nice to have some good news in the merit department. Congrats to those with good news and good luck to those still waiting…

41 Likes

Any leaders in the clubhouse. Dickinson and Pitt and UVA obviously three very different kinds of schools.

2 Likes

A coworker sends his kids to one of these schools and they both repeated a grade in HS, even though they came from a top private school. I think that also makes their applicants stronger because they basically have 5 yrs of HS, whereas PS kids would never repeat.

2 Likes