Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

Is your student accepted to Ross at UM? How do the net costs compare?

2 Likes

LSA @ U of M. All FA similar boat (somewhat “reasonable”)

Need to secure a school, with slim hopes of getting off Yale’s WL

1 Like

@srparent15 @HoldensMom I would be careful with a generalization about public vs. private, or even about an entire school. It seems this type of experience is very student, faculty and course dependent.

2 Likes

You might start your own thread to get more eyes on your questions.

What are the important factors to your student? All of these schools have big sports, good school spirit, and will prepare students well for their next step. Where does your student want to live after graduation? What type of job are they interested in?

Your student can’t major in business in UM’s LSA, would they be an econ major? Are they accepted to Carroll at BC? Marshall at USC? Generally I would say choose the school where they have direct admit to the program they want. Also, look at core/distribution requirements and how flexible/onerous they are.

All of these schools are fairly safe, of course one has to pay attention to their surroundings. You can see crime stats on each school’s annual Clery report.

I would agree a slim chance of getting off Yale’s waitlist
operate as if that’s a no, and move forward.

2 Likes

Airlines don’t even want to know. They effectively have the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy.

1 Like

I didn’t make any generalizations about public vs private. Someone made a comment about private being better for basically more handholding types of things as I replied that is not the experience we’ve had at our private and/or public so in fact I am in fact not the one making any generalizations.

1 Like

If in at Ross at Michigan your kid will get a job anywhere! Covid talk however in the UM parent groups for next year may still be an issue although only large classes are remote and the rest are in person as of now. USC this year didn’t let anyone on campus but once they do other than flying home it’s a great option. I don’t know anything about BC. My son heard on patio that UM is also supposedly announcing this week whether or not they’re mandarins the vaccine which I find hard to believe when the president has previously said he wouldn’t but I would be all for it. People don’t realize how much more of a normal semester and year they can have with that. My daughter’s school already 1/3 of all staff and students have it. And yes there is legal precedent for it.

1 Like

S21 committed to Lafayette last week. He was choosing between there and Dickinson. Clark was considered briefly as well but it would be about $6K more/year plus it’s 2 and a half hours further way so quickly was dropped.

He had been leaning towards Lafayette but it would be $3K more a year than Dickinson and with his goal being a PhD he’s very conscious of minimizing debt. We tried to get Lafayette to match Dickinson’s offer but they wouldn’t budge without evidence of change of income in 2020. We didn’t have a difference so no change in offer from them.

He was ultimately sold on Lafayette via a one-on-one zoom with a senior Physics major (his intended field) who’s also double majoring. They spent a good 30 minutes on the zoom discussing the Physics program, particularly how it’s not overshadowed by the engineering department, and how it is very doable to double major given AP credit coming in and that sold our son. He’ll have enough AP credit to be close to sophomore status and maybe over depending on how his upcoming 2 tests go) so that will allow him plenty of wiggle room to get the needed credits to double major so for now he’s planning to major in Physics and Math.

What a relief to be done the decision making process! Good luck to all still working on it and thanks for the great insight by the posters on this board. It’s a great resource.

30 Likes

Passengers and pundits would be shouting from the roofs and word would be plastered all over the news if there were any possible covid cases/outbreaks attributed to airline travel. There simply have not been any such reports 
 in a full year.

1 Like

No. Come on, if there was indeed something to “tell”, they would and we would all hear about it on every platform available.

Not that we have been asked to show proof yet but maybe the people opting to not wear masks in certain public situations - have been fully vaccinated ? If so, given their effectiveness it seems reasonable to begin acting that way as we do with all other childhood/adult vaccines, some of which are NOT even as effective as these. If we trust the vaccines we have to start living like we do - even small steps - because the alternative/constant fear is psychologically unhealthy and socially divisive.

1 Like

Airplane travel has continued safely for millions of people despite sitting arm to arm with a stranger - masks off while eating, drinking and speaking for months prior to vaccinations. No contact tracing. No outbreaks.

My main point is if we trust vaccines (as I believe we should) then get back to living life with common sense - especially “in person” school life !

Yay, a classmate for @TVBingeWatcher2 's daughter! Great school.

3 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

I believe the reason that the (nearly universal) child vaccines are so effective is that we have herd immunity with them, though there are breakthrough cases where people have refused the vaccine.

True
social divisiveness and fear can cause a lot of problems
which is why I wish people could trust rationality rather than conspiracy theories and remove the underlying reason for fear (Catching a harmful/deadly virus) by getting vaccinated If there’s no underlying health condition prohibiting it. We’re not there yet, and I’m not sure we’re going to. In my area, vaccines are becoming more plentiful because, now that less than a third have had their first vaccines, there’s a slowdown of people wanting them.

That’s all I’m going to say about it here, as I don’t think this is the place for it.

10 Likes

The implications of COVID and how it is handled IS by far the biggest issue for our family (and likely most) and particularly relevant to my D’s college decision in that schools have handled things so differently.

I remain hopeful we are headed toward a place that looks and behaves like we have strong levels of immunity !

Same experience with my public school attending daughter. Professors are very accessible at her school. One point to remember - large publics usually have a wider variety of major and course options, including niche specialties. My daughter started as an English major and she was at first a little lost with direction. She found Literary Journalism, and now her department size is akin to a small private and she is loving it! Something to consider

4 Likes

Adding additional insight at a public school and I checked this with a couple of kids from my alma mater who are still in school. At the UW, I found it difficult to get professor attention in some classes. I would imagine if I were applying to med school and needed a LOR, I would establish relationship with my year 2 professors. Year 2, there are less people in the weeder classes. That said, in my first year, I went to office hours and I think if I wanted to, I would’ve easily been able to get a LOR from my Calc professor. And worst case, my TA would’ve drafted a letter and have my professor sign it. That could also work. I had wonderful TAs.

At the UW, we had wonderful campus resource center. I would’ve flunked out of weeder classes had I not had the math center. That was a place we all went to for free to get TA (many taught in our classes) help with homework, work together with other students to solve homework, etc. Total life saver. Check the colleges to see what they offer. I actually looked up UCI and was surprised to see that some services cost money. What?!? So just have your kids do research at the different schools they have on their menu to decide.

4 Likes

I think you’re misunderstanding the reason why masks are still necessary. Even though the likelihood of you getting covid from someone once vaccinated is slim, you can still “carry” the virus (I forgot the term they us) in your nostrils and spread it to others. I just saw Dr Fauci interviewed this weekend over this exact issue of why people can’t just go maskless everywhere now. Additionally he said that the biggest threat right now are the variants, and until we have herd immunity, which we are no where close to, the variants will continue to mutate and everyone is still at risk. So everyone should do their parts and wear their masks out in public, in restaurants and public spaces except when eating, etc.

My daughter’s school that’s mandating the vaccine has a dashboard showing how many students and staff have received it. Thru 4/15 when it isn’t even available to everyone yet (that’s today) 31% have already uploaded proof. Higher than I expected for college students at this point already.

Childhood vaccines are effective due to herd immunity. We have 50% of all adults with at least one dose, 25% fully vaccinated but we are now headed to the hard part of this. Supply outweighing demand so this is the tough road. I hope more places will start mandating or incentivizing the vaccine and that we can get JNJ back out there because the longer it’s away the worse it is and more people become fearful of the vaccine.

Wearing masks has made a huge difference this year in not just protecting from covid but the flu was almost non-existent, fewer people had colds and other respiratory illnesses, etc. and I have heard of many people who have no intention of getting rid of wearing masks in areas of public transportation and public spaces even when no masks are required which yes, hopefully will be sometime late this year. Kids 12 and up most likely won’t even be eligible until the fall and that will be the next big group to get to herd immunity and then younger than that early '22. We have a long way to go but we will get there.

6 Likes

We’re looking forward to introducing them!!

4 Likes