Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 2)

We did not list two activities and we also landed on not answering the Covid question.

I do think that RD is going to be a different beast, so I am not sure what we didn’t do is even helpful. I know that I am repeating what many already know, but the first go around I did not know what I do now, so if it helps one, it’s worth annoying the rest-sorry CC OGs :grin:
Do the independent acitivities/reading/ research help strengthen the consistent tone of his application? IMHO if it is just “something else” in a different direction then I probably wouldn’t unless he doesn’t have a good list of ECs to paint a picture of who he is to the reader.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! The independent study is definitely related to his academic interests, and I’m sure is mentioned in LORs. But he does bring it up in essay so maybe not necessary in activities. He also chose not to include 2 activities.

1 Like

Agree. This was what S21 did. He included swim since it is year round. Just no meets and sporadic practice when the county allows it. I also told him to put 4 years of high school swim because you have to assume swim season is planned for this year. Whether or not it will take place, none of us will ever know.

4 Likes

Another quick question. S21’s fall report card came out last week although his transcript hasn’t been updated. For the last few apps, should he include old GPA that would be on the transcript currently linked to the CA? Or should he update his GPA (slightly better) on the CA (won’t match the current transcript). I believe the school will be sending out an updated transcript or report card in a few weeks. All his apps are RD. Thanks!

I think they want the gpa from the end of junior year.

We wondered about this as well since we know the grades, but realized the transcript reported on the Common App isn’t then consistent with the GPA if it’s changed, so the rule of thumb we’re using is until the grades are official, and our 7th semester transcript can be sent (end of January) the GPA is staying the same.

If it’s a significant increase you can always make a note in the other section, or say something there like *GPA reflects grades through seventh semester. If you have the report card before the transcript can go out you can always upload that as supplemental documents into the applicant portal once assigned.

@srparent15 and @mjkacmom Thanks for the advice. I’ll tell him to keep the old GPA on the CA. Colleges will receive his update within a couple of weeks. I should think they’d consider the higher grades.

That’s a good point, HMom16!

My D18 was torn between two very different schools–a small LAC and honors at a state flagship. She joined a group chat for the honors college and was ultimately turned off. According to her, “everyone” was in STEM (she’s an art/writing kid), and the conversation often involved solving math problems! I reminded her that lots of kids were likely lurking, but the virtual environment made her worry she would be surrounded by kids she had nothing in common with if she chose that school. So ultimately, the group chat thing backfired, and she chose the LAC. I think she would have thrived and had many, many friends in the honors/state school (they are known for a strong poetry scene, contrary to the LAC). She’s very happy where she is, so no real harm was done. But it’s something to be aware of. The virtual meet-ups are not necessarily representative of a school’s student body, and can be an unexpected turn-off.

8 Likes

What’s Plan B for the fall?

I’ve been operating under the assumption that D21 will attend college in-person in the fall (with restrictions and some classes virtual). Reading these things in the news yesterday made me realize a Plan B is in order:

• Slow vaccine distribution/uncertainty as to how long it remains protective.

• Fast spreading COVID mutation arriving in the U.S.

• 17-year old high school senior in Illinois dies from COVID/no medical conditions.

While we can hope for good news and an on-campus experience, what is everyone thinking in terms of a Plan B for Fall?

I’m thinking of my D renting a furnished house with friends where they can all do their schoolwork online. I’m also wondering if colleges are doing anything to help facilitate arrangements for new students to form groups to do something similar. After missing out on so much in junior and senior year, D21 is not going to want to live at home for another year.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

3 Likes

A University of Chicago rep gave an info session to D21’s class in September and she instructed everyone to list their activities through senior year. Even if Model U.N. and soccer and ballet are all canceled, she said students should still list those activities.

3 Likes

I’m really not too worried about fall at this point. The new strain of Covid is still covered by the current vaccine. More vaccines are getting closer to being approved so we should have more options in a few months. Things are slow going now but there’s been little to no federal direction and I think that’s going to change on 1/20.

14 Likes

@goldpenn - Our thinking and conversations align closely to yours and your daughter. Maybe because we live in an area of the country that is badly impacted - no school in person since March, no sports, etc and companies extended work from home orders into and through the summer.

We have told the kids that renting an apartment in a town (maybe not even at their college) is hopefully an option. No promises and trying to be optimistic. No gap year thoughts yet - but I do need to research if even offered - but in all of our opinions, that is the last resort. Both of their accepted ED schools are not in person this year - with one offering limited housing this Spring…maybe.

Just trying to do our part and stay positive :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We plan on him living on campus as long as it is open and all of the places he’s looking they have been allowing kids to live on campus. If not we’d rent an apartment close by. Basically, he won’t be living here in the fall no matter what unless it’s full-on armageddon. I have hope with the vaccine rollouts, etc that will not be the case.

5 Likes

Well I have some great news here. First off let me set the stage.
D has NOT been excited about college at all. Never checks her portals. Really dreading going so far away from home. When you have to chase merit, and live so far as we do, there is no choice but go to school 13 hours away.
The 3 schools she only applied to was our local state university: Texas Tech, a large (40K) traditional/Greek, Power five conference, Rah, Rah, strong engineering school that is 6 miles from home. Then BAMA and Mississippi state both 13 hours away.
Both BAMA and Mississippi give full tuition +. But Texas Tech only gives 9K in AUTO merit money off 12K instate tuition.
Well today I made her check portals so I could see financial aid.
And boy to our surprise, TTU engineering gave her 14K a year in renewable merit money!!! Coupled with the 9K for admission merit this will cover full tuition and her living in the dorm/meal plan at TTU as it much less than BAMA!!!
This would allow her to live on campus and still be close to home!! This just what we need. Texas Tech has shot up to number one and D is now all smiles. Edit. Also one of the TTU electrical engineering professors recently moved to our neighborhood and wants to talk to D about research opportunities!

57 Likes

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

We went for a full spray of 24 applications. I really, really want at least hybrid for S and residential openness will be a big factor in the final decision S makes I think. I’m also not terribly comfortable sending him somewhere we don’t get to at least walk around in April. Not comfortable paying private school prices for a year of remote learning. So, basically I’m hoping things really turn around after January. A lot is riding on what we know late spring. He won’t do a gap year but Plan B might be a less expensive school closer to home.

I’m almost afraid to look at this point at who has already announced that there will not be on campus tours this spring. I know it’s responsible on their part, but :worried:

6 Likes

My son has already announced his Plan B. He’s very excited to start college and is already making connections with other accepted students. But there is no question in his mind that he will take a gap year if classes are not fully in person in the fall. After several months of remote learning in the spring, a cancelled internship this summer, and now an entire semester of hybrid learning (each class has at most 1 in-person meeting per week), he is DONE. If he so much as hears the word Zoom he is out.

He has friends who took a gap year this year, and so far they all feel positive about their experiences and don’t regret their decisions. One volunteered with a political campaign, one is doing EMT training, and one works on a fishing boat (he wanted a working adventure).

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to mull over what you might do if your school doesn’t open as normal in the fall. Eight months ago, I never would have considered that my D18’s summer internship would be virtual. Six months ago, I never would have considered that she would not be back on campus this fall. Three months ago, I never would have considered that she would not be back on campus this spring. Today, I am considering everything.

10 Likes

I haven’t read about 2020 kids regretting gap years. I have read a lot about unhappy students who had to do remote learning. That is especially true for college freshman who had trouble connecting with other students and didn’t live with a group of friends. Apparently transfer applications are up. Food for thought and again, I my heart goes out to the 2020 class. Though really, I’m trying not to think about it.

8 Likes

I agree with this.

I truly hope Fall 2021 will be normal-ish for our kids, but have a hard time understanding how we will get there. So, our family will discuss a plan B too…even though S21 right now says he won’t take a gap year, no matter what. Time will tell.

6 Likes

@TVBingeWatcher2 That is amazing - congratulations!!

1 Like