Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Same for AP Spanish Language. Released last week. Good Luck!

Oh, wow, thanks to you and to @jeneric I will tell her to go check!

My son is bringing a ponytail palm tree (at least as of today he plans on it). Hardly needs water. lol.

1 Like

Do you guys know if you have to pay to send your AP scores to your college again or do they get sent automatically if you paid once? D had hers sent but it was done before this last round of grades came out.

She had a good time in Miami, a long train ride just to be there for a few hours though! She came home, took a very long shower (said she really wanted to enjoy her last “good” shower), is currently walking the dog with both D19 and S23 which never happens, then packing while the boyfriend hangs out, then has to run back to a friend’s house for the birthday cake, THEN we can have family dinner. At 9pm. :joy: Last plan is staying up super late with D19 who she won’t see until December because she is going to Rome for the semester. That will be a sad goodbye.

2 Likes

You have a high-energy family, @momtogkc ! I’d find packing that much into a day just a wee bit stressful. More power to you, and good luck tonight and tomorrow for the send-of!!!

Here in the slow lane we decided to see how the vacuum bags work. D has separated out most of the clothes she plans to take. Of her folding clothes she then separated anything she won’t want to wear in the next couple of weeks and zapped them flat in the vacuum bags, ditto the aired-out topper (which just barely fit into the jumbo bedding bag by folding it into quarters. It was touch and go for awhile, as she and I both had to sit on the topper to squeeze enough air out before we could close the bag before vacuuming). She thinks the vacuum bags are terribly cool
said it’s addicting and now she feels like compacting everything, she owns lol. Tomorrow I’ll do the blankets, sheets and pillows. She has a lot of stuff she plans to fit into our Subaru Forester apart from clothes and I refuse to drive with my rear view visibility blocked (can’t stand to only use side mirrors) so it’s good to know in advance just how much room the bedding and clothes will take up. I told her she can only take as much as will allow me to use the rear view mirror unobstructed, otherwise it’s not going to college. I’m all for spontaneity but I do hate last-minute stress when when there’s a time crunch. So it’s great she’s gotten this much done. Her reward will come tomorrow
she’s going whitewater rafting with her dad and a couple of friends.

4 Likes

Wow. Had no idea! S got his results back in July. Good luck!

I went to wash S21’s bedding. That amazing comforter I got end of April
a tear in the fabric. WTH. My washer is a top loader with no internal agitator. Now it’s beyond the 30 day return. Hoping the seller will make this right.

1 Like

Ugh, how frustrating. Hopefully you can still get a refund or a replacement.

Well we have 2 days until we fly out and will start packing tonight. I’m washing the rest of the new clothes and hope we get all the warm weather and rain stuff he has on the plane with us. I’m sure I’ll have to ship the winter stuff. Starting to stress a bit about the size of the rental car after the bed bath and beyond pickup.

I heard on the news that air traffic is trending down, so that’s good. We canceled one mid-trip hotel just in case there is a problem, the price drops, or we want to change destination plans on the vacation potion of our trip.

It’s getting exciting. Much to do.

There was a breakthrough case contact low level alert for my H at the hospital but fortunately he found out who it was via hearsay was not exposed to that person in that separate area.

1 Like

D21’s move in /in person orientation is next week! Ahh! The summer went too fast. She has all her classes(got all of her first pics), and is ready to go. It is very exciting but I will miss her so much. There are events Mon evening -Weds but then parents leave. Sadly but necessary.

3 Likes

US Supreme Court rejected a case review where Indiana University students are trying to fight back on the school vaccine mandate. I’m no lawyer, but I wonder if this makes it easy for employers and schools to have these mandates?

Today was our high school/district first day back. The seniors had senior sunrise outside (usually at a park anyway) but pix showed them masked and they looked happy. The kids all greeted each other, masked, normalcy, albeit under the craziness of a pandemic. They’re just there to have a good time despite all the noise by adults. Our district has a COVID dashboard that tracks by school and by student and staff cases, quarantines, etc. I think they could be useful. Hopefully, someone is tracking any trends.

Waiting to pick up my daughter. Can’t wait to hear about her day. She’s been with me for about 18 months and I have to admit I had old school daycare-level (when I first separated from the kids) separation anxiety.

Today my goal is to wash winter wear and pjs. Things we don’t use in CA. Haha. But progress. I’m making packing progress.

3 Likes

Eight students had sued the university, saying the requirement violated their constitutional rights to “bodily integrity, autonomy and medical choice.” But they conceded that exemptions to the requirement — for religious, ethical and medical reasons — “virtually guaranteed” that anyone who sought an exemption would be granted one.

Sounds to me like since they give anyone an exemption there really isn’t a mandate or requirement.

4 Likes

D24 said she wants her money back and wouldn’t mind going back to virtual. “High school was crowded today. 36 people in a class. No way to social distant.” :joy: The new routine is to go home, saline rinse her nosed and gargle with anti-bac mouthwash. Class of 2024
where they never experienced big bad high school in person to even miss it. Haha.

1 Like

D and her roommate moved in this morning at the same time. It was nice my parents, who went with us to help, got to meet the roommate’s family. We all had a lunch late together. The girls are going to be a good match. D’s room mate is Southern Baptist and D is atheist but they have similar personalities, academically focused, but want to have fun.

4 Likes

Oh and the Tempurpedic topper was a huge success. I could not smell anything. D thinks she smelled the faint scent of peanut butter. Or just maybe she was hungry by that time
I did not open it up early to let it off gas.

4 Likes

Costco has 3M command velcro/adhesive things and hooks that hold up to 4lbs. $10.99. I’m using the hooks to hold the surge protector that will prob hang by S21’s bed wall.

They also have the Vornado fan for $39.99. It’s the square one. We have tested it. Pretty powerful.

@inthegarden Hah! I don’t know if we are high energy or just total chaos.

@MommaLue Any luck with the comforter?

@TVBingeWatcher2 Your move in sounds great! I am bummed we won’t get to meet David roommate until October- she won’t get here until next week.

Well, we survived step one of moving. I was up until 1:30am but everything got packed. The only setback was when the dog came and made a bed in the middle of D’S clothes which I had just carefully Folded and organized on the family room floor. D is her person and it was sad and cute at the same time to see her sprawled out there.

After about 5 hours of sleep we had some sad goodbyes to the dog, S23 and D19 then we were off. The rest of the day was fine- order pick ups at BBB & Target; a nice dinner in town then an early bedtime.

Today we get to drop stuff off at the dorm but not unpack. I’m excited to have a chance to see the set up before move in on Sunday. Now if they would just wake up so we could get going!

3 Likes

SOS Bay Area people → if you had to store your vehicle for a few months, what’s the most convenient/affordable way to do it? And where? All that comes to mind is long-term storage. Parking garages, maybe? Any help appreciated!

I am so glad we got our clean air back for your arrival. Today is first AQI “good” day in over a week - the jetstream from the CA fires finally moved. Enjoy this lovely day and this exciting time!! Eta: grab empanadas at Rincon Argentino one of the days!

1 Like

Comforter drama resolved! Bare Home has a fan in me! They are sending a replacement. Customer service people were really nice. The ripped one will be stitched up and donated.

I think this weekend I will scotchguard the jacket and boots. Feels so weird to pack those because it’s like 100° here. I guess I’ll start packing this weekend. Things are sorted out and I ordered some things from Target.com. Might as well, I guess. What’s another tube of neosporin or Benadryl bug bite tube?

Not so crazy day for us and getting anxious reading about all the move-ins already :). Berkeley moves in this weekend so you will get a bunch of kid stories here, I’m sure. Speaking of Berkeley, those with younger kids, look into Berkeley MET program. It’s selective. One of my kiddos is in the program. School hasn’t started but the advisors have got the kids in shape. LinkedIn Profile set. I went from review college essays to joe reviewing resume for internships?! That is def the program to be if your kids have any inkling. Dual degree. STEM and Biz.

1 Like