Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

The mattress pad doesn’t hold the topper on? I think I remember someone mentioning getting some of that rug grip sheeting and cutting a piece to go between the mattress and topper if the mattress is extra slippery.

1 Like

My D’s dorm mattress is plastic covered and the zipper bed cover we got is also kind of a slick fabric so we were worried about the topper slipping too. We got a cheap mattress cover with a terry cloth type fabric to put under the topper, then a good mattress cover to hold in place. She’s only been there a week but so far so good!

As we put each of the many layers on the bed there were lots of comments from the dads… And NOW what are you putting on that bed? When does she get sheets? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

My son had the same issue. If it continues to be a problem this worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip-Original-Resistant-Mattress/dp/B01K8BX3UE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Gorilla+Grip+Original+Slip+Resistant+Mattress+Gripper+Pad%2C+Twin+XL+Size%2C&qid=1630786142&sr=8-1

3 Likes

My son’s desk chair is wooden with fabric cushion (the rough almost burlap like texture). The idea of how many people have used the chair grossed me out so I got an office chair cover (one piece) and grip strips to make sure the cover doesn’t slip off. Whoever suggested toolkit was genius. I ordered one and just as we finished moving S21 asked for a shoe rack. When it arrives, the toolkit will be used. .

Great idea! Thanks. I realized her mattress cover that zipped all around was very slipper and the matteess pad alone domes hold the topper in place.

The scene is adding all the bed layers was definitely comical!

1 Like

Thanks. Will order and send to her. She was just glad she has a lower bunk because it’s been relatively easy to put back in place, her she will for sure be happy to not have the hassle anymore!

1 Like

We flew with doubled IKEA bags. My husband didn’t trust the zippers and used packing tape. Worked like a dream. The hanging clothes went in a garbage bag before the IKEA treatment. No issues.

I went one crazy Marie Kondo step further & got soft sided containers from IKEA for underwear, t-shirts, socks etc. Dropped them in the IKEA bags already packed. Easiest unpack ever. Straight into his chest of drawers.

What it looks like in 4 weeks you ask?! I’ll never know for sure: only students allowed in dorms after move-in day!

4 Likes

On the theme of packing, we didn’t fly, but I knew the quantities of (unnecessary ) clothes, underbed drawers and a microwave D wanted to bring would be a challenge to fit into our Forester, which really doesn’t have that much space compared to a large SUV or minivan.

Just want to report that the Ziplock vacuum bags were easy to compact and a huge success. We packed all bedding and most clothes (except for a few hanging clothes like nicer blouses and dresses) in them and the amount of space that saved was amazing. We even compacted bed pillows, decorative pillows, towels and the tempurpedic that I had aired out. In the end we didn’t put the Ziplocks in duffels or any other large bags, just stacked them on the back passenger seats. A duffel full of them would have required a weight-lifter to carry! During unloading it was easy enough to grab a stack of flattened bagsto take upstairs. Unpacking was efficient enough as you could see exactly what kind of item was in each bag. Kind of fun to see everything fluff out again! D stored the empty Ziplocks behind her underbed drawers to use later (she brought a mini-vac).

4 Likes

@inthegarden Which ziplock bag did you get? I got one and left it at the dorm but I hope I got the right one. Will need that tempurpedic topper to squeeze back in for summer storage.

Which air purifier did you buy? Is your son happy with it? The air quality is quite bad because of the wildfires, so I am looking to send one asap. Any recommendations will be much appreciated!

https://www.costco.com/germguardian-4-in-1-large-room-360-degree-air-purifier-with-true-hepa-filter-and-high-performing-cadr.product.100509687.html

This is the one we got. It was higher rated at Costco and about the price point I wanted max. My son says it’s just there doing it’s thing. His dorm had a lot of mildew/old carpet. It got three quickly with UPS.

1 Like

@MommaLue, it was the Ziplock brand Space Bag, jumbo size (35”x48”). It was advertised for bedding. Obviously, we had to fold the topper, and it was really touch and go for awhile to get it in. My daughter and I together had to manually squeeze some of the air out just to get it into the bag before vacuuming out more air…it was a tussle! There is a line a running a few inches before (and parallel to) the seal line…you’re not supposed to fill the bag beyond the line. We didn’t manage to stay within that line with the topper inside, but the space bag worked fine anyway without leaking. I think we got that thing compressed flatter than it had been in the original packaging and it bounced right back when the bag was unsealed.

Does anyone’s kid have classes on Labor Day? Weird-is this a private school thing? I’m off and will be appreciating those who worked to end child labor and brought us the 5 day workweek.

Yes mine does.

Yes

Yes

Yes, my son has class.

Yes. Did anyone else’s kid find the weekend stressful due to lack of structure and too many things to do/people to meet? I think D21 is relieved to have class again tomorrow. But she’s an introvert, she’s homesick, and she likes her classes so far (thank goodness).

3 Likes

Thank you so much!