Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

I agree with @homerdog to find out the policies of each college campus in regards to cars. Most of the UC’s and some CSU’s discourage Freshman from bringing cars to campus. Once the students move off campus, a car might be a necessity.

Older son that went to UC Davis, used the student run bus system until Mid-Junior year when he needed a car to travel to his internship.

Younger son at SDSU, brought his car Sophomore year since he was living off campus.

My kid’s college won’t give parking permits to anyone who lives too close to school, maybe within 2-3 hours? We live much farther away, but he hasn’t wanted a car. There’s a free shuttle bus for trips around town, and weekend busses to the big mall 40 minutes away. He will live on campus all four years. Not really much need for a car so far.

D18 at Clemson was able to use Zip cars on campus her Freshman years and they needed it as the nearest Grocery store was about 4 miles away. The nearest Box store was about 15 miles away. Clemson allowed Freshman to have cars. After Freshman year she took her car.

D21 at Miami of Ohio Freshman are allowed to have car if more than 250 miles from campus. In the fall she didn’t have one. Again like Clemson not really easy walking to grocery and Target etc. She came home for break in October and took the car back.

Selfishly it was nice not to have to drive the kids back and forth etc.

I went to both undergraduate and law school and never had or even owned a car. As many have said really school, location dependent

My one kid in FL has always had her car. She had a part time job off campus from Spring semester of freshman year. Not having a car would have made that almost impossible. Plus with hurricanes it’s nice to know she can get out on her own.

The other kid wishes she could have one. She now realizes what a small town her school is in and how bad the dining hall is. She thinks it would make her experience much better. The school doesn’t allow it. It’s a pain because she has a dance class she will now have to pay someone to get her to. Just getting her medication is a pain. She can not wait to have her car next year.

D moved back into her dorm today. Classes start Wednesday. This semester is going to be a nose to the grind stone one, quite different than the fall. Hoping she takes time for fun. All work and no play makes…a burnt out kid.

Watching to see if any of her classes go online, her class size range from 25 to 49. Omicron will burn through campus quickly and hopefully be done.
She was really ready to get back to the structure of school, with no structure she sleeps and sleeps and sleeps.

4 Likes

DS drove back to GT yesterday and begins classes today. He signed up for 21 hours this semester and said he might drop one if it seems unmanageable, but hopes it will be possible.

IMO, GT has a pretty poor policy around assessing math skills and one of the courses he is taking is Multivariable Calculus that he took in HS. He thinks he can skip classes and just take the exams…

3 Likes

S made it back to the freezing campus with no flight delays or cancellations yesterday. He starts classes in person today.

8 Likes

I’ll be curious to see how that goes!

1 Like

My S aced Multivariable Calc in high school, even with having to take it during hybrid/virtual covid senior year. Its a required class for his major so he took it again this past semester. Since he’s a math kid and already “knew everything” (his words), he figured it would be an easy A. Nope! He managed the A, but said it was far from easy. He went to classes, found a study group and even went to office hours for help a few times. Hopefully your S has an easier time!

3 Likes

Yep. College math not the same as high school or community college math even for the same course. Moves at twice the clip and tests are likely harder.

3 Likes

Exactly. It was a much faster and deeper dive into concepts. Now on to linear and differential. At least he knows to form study groups and attend office hours. It feels like that is half the battle.

6 Likes

Our son is a math major and study groups are the only way to go! It’s hard to keep up but one just has to do it. Problem sets due twice a week for him so study groups have set times they meet to crank them out.

2 Likes

Both he and I hope it turns out to be difficult. He wants to take math courses that challenge him.

He took a prior year final exam and had no issues with it but hopefully this class will be tougher.

2 Likes

I got my wish!!! :heart::black_heart::heart::black_heart: What a game last night!!!

9 Likes

After Michigan was eliminated, I too cheered for Georgia. Nothing against 'Bama, just thought some competition would be good for the sport. Thought Saban was gracious after the game.

5 Likes

My husband and I almost lost our voices due the amount of screaming we did. What a game. So proud!!:black_heart::heart:

3 Likes

I need some advice for my youngest and I’m hoping to tap into the experience here on this thread.

Does anyone know an excellent APUSH test prep “system”? I’d prefer online and I’m fine with paying more if the results are there. Thanks!

Is his teacher not good? How do kids typically score from your high school? Our kids never prepped outside of class.

1 Like

Our school provided logins to albert.io, which has practice questions and explanations for the right answer. Great way to prep. Not sure if you can get access to that outside of a school.

2 Likes

My youngest has the bad teacher. The other 2 teachers are mostly 5’s, some 4’s, and very few less than that. The bad teacher is mostly 3’s and 4’s.

My other kids had the other 2 teachers and only studied the night before the test. Now my youngest needs/wants a top score. I’m worried she doesn’t know enough details and she hasn’t worked on the proper way to answer the essay questions.