Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

My son appreciates this topper too!! Glad I got it when everyone did! It was so expensive when I checked a few months after!!

1 Like

Itā€™s out of stock! I checked the other prices and if it is anything close to a full or twin reg price, itā€™s a good deal. I wanna say I paid $169 for it.

S20 didnā€™t have a topper his freshman year. He got one the week before sophomore year started back in August and has repeatedly told me how much better it feels. Who knew? :man_shrugging: Apparently quite a few people. Definitely not me.

4 Likes

That stinks! I want to help future students out, but I admit I didnā€™t scroll to see if the Twin XL was specifically on stock. My bad. Thx for the update!:blush:

I got a Harmony 3ā€ topper from Costco (currently $129 for twin xl). My son and friends have hung out in each otherā€™s dorms and everyone agrees that his bed is the most comfortable. Not sure what the other kids have, but might be worth checking out if the tempurpedic is sold out/ too expensive.

3 Likes

S21 heads back to school tomorrow. Weā€™ve been spoiled to have him here these past 5 weeks; heā€™s been spoiled by the awesome weather (sunny, light breeze, mid 70s every day)ā€¦now off to face a real winter in Chicago.

Heā€™s been so happy at school. Heā€™s found his groove and has made friends. Eager to see how the future unfolds.

8 Likes

Here, here to the late (it was always the same start date) return club! I went in S21ā€™s room and said I was glad heā€™s been home and just was surprised he was home and spent time with us since my expectations were low. I did tell him it did feel a little long. Haha. I did get a hug out of this.

Same here. I dread the next long stretch without seeing him. It will be worse if he makes the cut for the spring break team event held on the other coast. We really should Facetime a bit instead of calling. Some of my parent friends are saying this one is harder than the Fall send off and I think I agree.

He didnā€™t bring his parka or boots home but luckily we got him back ups for Christmas. The time and weather changes are going to be an awakening. :snowflake:

2 Likes

D going back to school was much harder for me this time. In the fall, I knew I was going up to watch a match in September and then parents weekend in October. She came home for Thanksgiving and then Christmas break. Now she has a team trip over Spring Break so I wonā€™t see her till late April! Long, cold winter aheadā€¦

5 Likes

D leaving Sunday. Spring break is seven weeks away. Thatā€™s not too bad. Sheā€™ll be home for ten days. Then we will likely plan to go out to NY sometime in April, grab her and head to Maine for the weekend to see S19 run in some track meet. Itā€™s good to try to think about it in terms of weeks at a time. Weeks seem to go pretty quickly.

5 Likes

we video chat often but then my phone dies quickly ā€¦ so trying to remind myself to call :-). but yes, you should FaceTime! itā€™s fun :grinning:

1 Like

And just when we thought college football was overā€¦ we have another UGA Michigan matchup with a UGA win! :wink:

As mentioned previously, we have UGA and MI grads in our family and rarely have matchups to root against each other. None of us are Rams or Bucs fans and weā€™re pretty universally happy for Matt Stafford as itā€™s his first playoff success, unlike the GOAT.

6 Likes

hope heā€™s enjoying his very real winter today. :wink:

For the first time, he admitted it was really, really cold.

4 Likes

It has definitely been brutally cold here (we have the burst pipes to prove it :grimacing: ). Even Chicagoans think itā€™s cold right now. Hopefully, he enjoys todayā€™s brief warmup ā€” a high of 31*! Itā€™s going to feel like Spring.

2 Likes

Speaking of the coldā€¦

Despite the fact that it can get really cold here in MD, my kids (and even me at times) never really wear winter coats. For the last couple of years, S21 never even had a winter coat. If he really needed one, he could wear one of DHā€™s but it was rare that heā€™d be outside for long enough to want to wear one.

So he left for college in Cincinnati without a winter coat. He has plenty of sweatshirts and 1/4 zips, but nothing really warm. OTOH, S19, who goes to college in NY, has a lot of warm clothing that he has accumulated since being away at school. He often wears a fleece lined flannel like this Shop Men's Camp Night Berber Lined Hooded Flannel | Legendary Whitetails Also very popular on his campus are sweatpants with these Uggs Neumels. S19 wears them all the time. UGGĀ® Neumel for Men | Lace-Up Casual Shoes at UGG.com

I did get S21 the Uggs for Christmas, hoping he would wear them (no idea if kids wear them in the Midwest). I couldnā€™t find the flannel jacket in stock, so he went back to school w/o any kind of warm coat.

On our long drive home from driving S21 back to campus, we stopped at an outlet mall about an hour from his campus. Right as my husband and I walked in to Under Armour, there was a display with winter coats for $60, originally $200. It has a fleece-like zip in jacket that can be worn on its own, while the other layer is water resistant. Bought it on a whim. The college kid who was working the register told us he had the same coat and loved it. Said he wore the inner layer all the time and used the outer layer if it was snowing/raining. Dh got a veterans discount so the coat ended up being about $55. I mailed it to S21 when we got home, hoping he would actually wear it.

Since S21 has been back at school, it has regularly been in the teens/20s with wind chills much lower than that. Earlier this week, I asked if our package had arrived last week and whether the coat fit. He said yes, and that heā€™d been wearing the coat and Uggs every day. Score! Money well spent. :grinning:

I guess S21 realized that walking across campus multiple times a days in such low temps is much different than a quick walk from house to car to high school!

8 Likes

I have to ask my child if heā€™s busted out his parka because itā€™s 20 something degrees and thereā€™s a 12-18ā€ winter storm warning for Sat. Told him to get a lot of to go food from the dining hall because Iā€™m sure no one wants to go outside in a blizzard. I know I packed a bunch of ramen with him to bring back.

3 Likes

Laughing at all the jacket discussion and glad I am not alone. My S21 left for school this week, leaving behind not only the new down parka that we got over break, but also the lighter weight jacket that he started the term with. With a foot+ of snow coming on Saturday, and him with a hooded sweatshirt as his warmest clothing item, I sent his jacket via UPS. Luckily it arrived today. Hoping he gets it and stays warm and cozy.

Reporting back. Itā€™s been well into the 20ā€™s. He said not yet. I did suggest go look thru the totes or closet before the 12ā€ of snow falls down.

1 Like

D never needed really warm clothes as she went from garage to front door of school, but now walking all over a large campus in the cold is a different story.
I got these for D for Christmas and smart wool socks. She did not ask for them but I wanted to make sure her feet are warm. She now is so glad and loves them. Antique Brown Premium Leather Chelsea Boots, Women's Style 1609 - Blundstone USA

1 Like