Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

The letter says they exceeded their enrollment numbers, so I guess people took that to mean over enrolled. Who knows, maybe there will be lots of movement later if the Ivys/Stanford go to the WL.

@NateandAllisMom We see it in our district with T20 private schools acceptances and one of the bigger private HS (my friendā€™s son goes there). A lot of acceptances from Boston U. For UCs, we actually are seeing a few Top UC thru Davis. UCLA was very few (2-3?) but a good number of them got into Cal vs previous years. But I think those kids wouldā€™ve applied to UCs anyway vs CSU.

1 Like

I am really interested in seeing the demographics for the class of 2025 at selective schools. The privates my son was accepted to made a big deal about this being their most diverse group of accepted students. Does that mean that other schools become less diverse if the pool of student was the same size?

6 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that test optional can help give more diverse kids a chance, as well as first gen. I only have empirical data based on Instagram. :joy: Brown said itā€™s a really diverse class. When I look at Instagram Class of 2025, I browse based on what fits on my phone screen and from the 500+ kids of the 2500 who got in, every screen is full of diversity that I can see visually. Selfishly, this makes me happy because I know my kid will get exposure to a diverse group. He originally committed to UCI and from that unofficial IG survey, it looked like it was 60% APAs and no offense to my own ethnic group, but thereā€™s just no way my son would have the same opportunities to learn from different cultures going to UCI. But the data will be helpful because it seems like every acceptance letter says, ā€œItā€™s our biggest app pool, our most diverse class, first Gen, from X countries, etc.ā€ The definition of all of that could be very flexible.

5 Likes

In a full circle, my S got an email yesterday from CSU saying they noticed he got rejected at Cal Poly and would he like to apply to another CSU? Maybe that will help some other kids out who didnā€™t have enough safeties.

6 Likes

We are in very similar position. Fingers crossed, but other plans made. Waitlist Purdue.

I feel like everyone is plugged in to better information.

2 Likes

My son just got off the waiting list for UCSC. He is not accepting; he is going to attend Cal Poly SLO. So maybe some UC waitlist action is starting to get going.

10 Likes

The WL bartender has asked you to leave the WL bar immediately. :rofl:

15 Likes

Thatā€™s CSU redirection in action. The CalStates available for redirection this year are Channel Islands, Chico, East Bay, Humboldt (S21ā€™s destination), Maritime, Monterey Bay, San Bernardino, San Fransisco, and Sonoma. (Most also available to transfers.)

Redirection | CSU, which has links to redirection info from each of these campuses. Hope it helps some who arenā€™t happy with their May 1 choice.

4 Likes

I bought my son a parka and warm raincoat on sale today. So most likely he will get off the UCLA waitlist :sweat_smile:

22 Likes

It will only work if you remove the tags and throw away the receipts.

20 Likes

@NateandAllisMom i am manifesting UCLA WL so that you will have wasted your parka money. This worked with Brown/UCI deposit so it has to work for you.

4 Likes

@JennaMA Ok, now that is just savage, yet, a legit way to taunt the WL gods.

5 Likes

So I have swag for both College A (bought weeks ago, the obvious choice) and College C (where Mr. Indecision deposited unexpectedly), hidden. I was hoping to get this sorted out for good before removing tags. And today a package came that feels like a shirt, from College C. Can I temporarily hide that too, lol (I mean, we did pay $500 for it).

2 Likes

You can send it to me as a gift when he gets in to UCLA :laughing:

3 Likes

Geez you are on the ball. Iā€™m waiting until winter to see what D wants. Iā€™ve made mistakes buying coats before that arenā€™t quite right. S19 has three or four decent winter coats but only likes one! I know people buying stuff for dorms already too. Iā€™m generally a planner and get things done but itā€™s just too early for me to get started on all of that.

1 Like

Iā€™m laughing thinking about the closet of sad shirts waiting to see if theyā€™ll be chosen in the end.

5 Likes

The price is much lower this time of year on good brand winter gear. I like Backcountry steep and cheap. My kid is less picky too. Most of the dorm stuff we will buy in NY. Those items generally cost less and go on sale around back to school time.

I donā€™t think taking the tags off will work because I could flip it on Ebay.

4 Likes

Good point. In that case I recommend monogramming your S21ā€™s Initials on the jackets.

10 Likes

@NateandAllisMom Just a word of caution - popular stuff sells out in the summer. Twin XL sheets can be hard to find. And with the pandemic, the supply chain is not the best right now for certain items. Iā€™m not sure what stores are near Colgate, but you may want to consider doing something like Pack and Hold from Bed Bath and Beyond (Target and others have similar programs). You basically pick out what you want at your local BBB, tell them the store where you want to pick it up, the local store will pull all the items from their inventory and set it aside for you to be picked up on a specified date. You donā€™t pay until you pick it up. And, if you decide you donā€™t want something once you get to the store near your college, you donā€™t have to buy/take it.

We had to fly to my D17ā€™s college in CA so this is how we got most of her things but also filled in with some last minute things. When we got to the BBB in San Diego, all of our things were in a huge bin. We went through it, pulled out a couple things we no longer wanted, took to register and paid, using the college coupon for 20% off entire purchase.

We drove my son to college so we didnā€™t need to do this. But I had a hard time finding twin XL sheets because I waited too long. But, Iā€™m a little picky about sheets - he gets really hot when he sleeps so I didnā€™t want microfiber or jersey knit just regular cotton.

Just my two cents!

3 Likes