Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

Yes. She also got a very similar financial aid from Columbia University and she is accepting the offer. She is so excited.

17 Likes

Thank you! She got a very similar offer from Columbia as well.

1 Like

Columbia College for Bio Major and premed track. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Thank you for all the support in the meantime.

Thank you for everything in the meantime.

Woo hoo!!! Congratulations to your D!!!
:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

@anaray Do you know where she will attend? Has it been long enough (24 hours?) for all the parents here to nag and ask?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats @anaray! Thrilled for your D.

No cap decoration allowed here- very strict about nothing extra at all.

Tutoring also is pretty nonexistent where I live. DD has never had a tutor and I’ve never heard of anyone using one other than marginal kids trying to pass a class. 20+ Years ago when I lived in Fairfax County, VA I tutored reading comp and grammar to 8th graders applying to Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology to prep for the entrance exam and made $60-80/hr. I just used a SAT prep book as my guide. Totally insane looking back on that. I was solidly booked!

3 Likes

I happened to read a Washington Post opinion piece today about TJ. I had never heard of the school, but now I have, twice in one day.

1 Like

She is going to go to Columbia. Financial aid very similar to Georgetown. In fact slightly better as there is no loan and all of it is from grants. Only inconvenience is she has to start from scratch finding roommate. Other than that she is so happy.

7 Likes

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much for keeping me sane through this whole college application process and helping me navigate this without stress. Thank you for all the encouraging words too.

3 Likes

Congratulations!!! Wonderful news to end the week!

We only know one kid that used private tutors (both physician parents). He was shut out of this reaches, will be at UT Austin.

Yes, this is the plan. D and I have talked about this often.

I think that goes for any STEM major. S19 is math and physics and take home tests are the norm. Doesn’t matter that you have all of your notes because problems never look exactly like examples or practice. One needs to be very confident with the material to do well on tests and that means going in for extra help and working in groups for homework.

5 Likes

Thank you! So correct! Not only the weekend, but also my school year ended today and I don’t have to work another 2 months!

5 Likes

Has your D visited the campus?

Wow…that is amazing. Congratulations. What an incredible acceptance and opportunity,