Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

WL people: I saw posts this afternoon that someone got off the WL for Yale and someone for Northwestern. While it seems like many WL have closed, for others it isn’t over quite yet. And yet the silence from some WL is… unsettling, like they dropped off the face of the earth.

6 Likes

So interesting about Yale because I had previously heard they closed their WL. As far as NU they have been letting people in throughout, but just a trickle at a time.

2 Likes

NU is one of those that admitted relatively conservatively, fewer than the prior year. Their process seems methodical.

Then on the other hand, there are schools like Wake that started taking people off the WL in early April, if I recall, but nothing since, and the WL is still open. Feels odd, like maybe they underestimated yield, like so many others.

1 Like

Delete

Just to clarify, @srparent15 and I were referring to Northwestern, not Northeastern.

Yes, my sons friend will be attending Yale and they said at one of the virtual events that the class was full.

Ok, Ignore my comment :slight_smile:

Thanks. For a sec I was about to ask what NUin is and your comment reminded me that’s Northeastern which is usually NEU isn’t it? Hah, no matter.

Yes, I believe that about Northwestern, especially since they didn’t start on campus this year and I’m sure a bunch wound up taking gap years but offhand I’m not sure. We are generally a feeder to them and send about 10 but this year only 4 were accepted with 3 going. I also think they have a HUGE waitlist. We know a lot that are waitlisted and only a few outright rejected.

I love my MacBook Pro! The upside to the iPad Pro is she can write on it and just get a keyboard case (they’re not the best ergonomically) for the typing part. Macs don’t ever die. We usually keep ours for 7-10 years while having to replace Dells and HPs every 3-4 years

1 Like

I feel as if things are so final with high school. Brown sent an email to my son’s reg gmail, his Brown email, and to his GC to ask for transcript to be submitted. I’m going to check common app tomorrow, but that’s it. Bless my guidance counselor because she had deaths in her family this year due to COVID, she had a bad case of COVID, but we never knew about it til she told me on a meeting I had with her. Never missed a beat. Just worked away and churned out all the requests everyone submitted. My son has one more hs activity left with the swim team party but not sure if he will go since he doesn’t care for his hs swim coach.

S21 starts a job next week so he’s going to be juggling that with teaching private swim lessons ($25/hr/kid is a good gig). The grads have been doing things together the last few weeks since they are all vaccinated. Yesterday S21 and friends carpooled and drove to Bodega Bay and hung out there all day. Prob the most adult thing he’s done—plan a day trip with friends and drove that far (other friends drove but they got tired on the 3.5 hour drive home in Bay Area traffic, so S21 took over). They’re hanging out at each other’s house til late. It’s nice not to worry about homework for a minute. We are hosting backyard camping in our yard in a couple of weeks and I think that will be fun. I’m grateful they’re able to make some memories after quite a long bout of not being able to hang out.

7 Likes

D graduated today and senior night tonight. End of an era.

She got an academic award of some kind, but way more importantly she was voted “most inspirational player” in her team sport. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All those Knute Rockne and Bo Schembechler type speeches that I’ve given her a 100 times over the years. Some of it must have actually worn off. She listened? :grimacing:

27 Likes

Did you all order graduation announcements cards? If so, where from? I want to do a photo card one, but last time I ordered Christmas cards from Shutterfly I was disappointed with the printing.

I ordered S21’s from Minted. They turned out great. SimplytoImpress is another one.

2 Likes

I used Minted too and was very pleased.

3 Likes

I have a Dell laptop sitting here unused too. It was purchased in the fall of 2018 and was only used for about a year and a half. I tried to message you and it says your profile is private. If you message me I’d be happy to send it to you!

I go the cheap and easy route and order from Walgreens. They have hundreds of design options. D19’s and S19’s came out terrific. I’m still working on D21’s announcements. You can pick 'em up at the store in about 2 hours after you submit the order.

ETA: 60% off through June 5 with the code HELLOJUNE :money_mouth_face:

Our two closest Walgreens do a terrible job, they both said they have told corporate many times their printers need to be replaced.

Costco used to be really good but they closed the photo center here.

Costco still does photo processing. It is just all online through costco.com these days. You upload your photos and the prints come in the mail.

1 Like

I used Collage because I wanted photos on the front and back of the announcement. They turned out great!

1 Like

I used Wallgreens because I slacked and needed them quickly. They are ok (and cheap with the code!), but not the greatest.