Parents of the HS Class of 2022- 3.0-3.4

@UCDProf I feel for you being in the doughnut hole and having two kids to send to college at the same time. It’s tough. College is freaking expensive. I hope y’all can swing some merit and make the money work.

And for sure @beebee3 I think the pandemic is doing a number on everybody and definitely on our kids.

I do think Hollins is a good school and hope that it will work out for your daughters @gcmom1 and @UCDProf . I’m not sure why they structure the Batten competition that way, but it doesn’t seem to be a new thing. I wouldn’t waste too much mental energy on rehashing it. It is what it is, and they do it how they do it, and it’s done now, y’know? All of my interactions with the folks at Hollins have been very satisfactory. They were super sweet when we went for a visit this fall. She just fell in love with another school, but I like both Hollins and Agnes Scott a lot.

6 Likes

Agree, the colleges were hoping to go back to their high achiever prospective student/scholarship weekend in person formats this year and many could not. Last year was so tough and awkward at the ones my D21 did remotely.

She also did not fully understand one that she scheduled that sounds like it was closer to what this Holland one was this year…she thought it was an informal meet at greet ice breaker kind of thing since that was how it was described. She took it way too casually to the point she kept working on her robot for a competition the next week and had teammates in and out of her laptop camera shot. She said the other kids really dressed up and seemed nervous. :frowning: She was still insulted that she did not get that scholarship - luckily she had other options and we have a sense of humor.

Good luck to all!

2 Likes

Obviously I’m not of the mind that thinks “this is just the way it’s done” so that’s that.
I think something is very wrong, so I’m critical.
I could lay it on even thicker than I already have, as hard as that might be to believe, with the things I see in my job every day, but I’ll just leave it where it is.
I’m obviously not going to move the needle here.

It would be interesting if you could sit down with some of these college like Hollins and ask them why they structure their scholarship competitions the way they do, but barring that I don’t think there’s anything to be gained and much to be lost in terms of mental health to ruminate on this. I’m not big on competition and prefer a more collaborative approach but there are many places and situations in the real world where head to head competition is the norm. It’s a shame that COVID has changed so much of the college experience. I wonder what their usual in person Batten weekend is like. I know it still involves the competition but I think it is combined with an admitted students day too.

3 Likes

There’s a lot wrong with the process. It’s all kind of crazy. It sure seems like some schools don’t know what they’re doing.

I wish I could say I’m sure it will all work out for you without loans or cc, but there are no guarantees. Hopefully both your kids will get great offers. They’re doing all they can! For my 3.6 kid, all the options so far are kind of pricey, but we’re waiting on financial aid and have help from family. For my older one, things were less secure for us as a family and he got lucky.

1 Like

Plenty of lower cost opportunities for a 3.6 kid but as always, flexibility is a must. It’s just a question of how flexible one is willing or able to be ?

1 Like

Not really anything inexpensive. Even in state regional was 20k, so it depends on your budget. Community college is less, of course. Commuter options would be no merit, and still close to 20 with extra costs (car, insurance, food).

You need your own thread. Don’t know your state. Major etc. pm if u want. I’ll have ideas. But u need to be flexible or have demonstrated need.

But u should make your own thread

We’re good but thanks for the suggestion. I think this thread is an appropriate place to discuss that it is more difficult to find inexpensive options for a kid from NJ (or CA or IL or other expensive states) without stellar stats. We’re fine with her options so far. This is my third time doing this and I’ve read every thread on here and done a lot of research.

3 Likes

Yes, for those kids, it may come down to Bama, MS State, W Carolina, S Illinois and those types in addition to a handful of others if they’re full pay. And CC - and there’s nothing wrong with the CC route.

This is the thread for “those kids.”
We’re not full pay by any means, but we have help. We’re waiting to see if there’s any financial aid from 7 accepted schools, plus waiting on decisions for several more.
FWIW, Bama with a 3.6 and my daughter’s SAT is still $21,000 in direct costs so I don’t see how that’s much better.
Western Carolina is $10,860 per semester, so same.
If you have a lower efc, it’s going to be tough unless it’s a school that meets full need.
I know you’re trying to help, but there is not always a good solution no matter how much you know.

3 Likes

With a 3.6 at Bama and the right test score it’s $3k tuition. UAH can be that cheap even with a lower ACT. Murray State is another that will be cheap and this depends on where you are. WCU has merit which may reduce that cost. Wyoming is another and So Illinois. All offer merit on top of lower rates than most.

Also many don’t realize but depending where you live there are programs like the WUE or Academic Common Market that can help.

‘Those kids’ as in those with a 3.6 seeking lower cost…yea it’s still a lot of money but affordable vs what others charge. No need to take offense.

I assume you are full pay or most pay as there’s a lot of meets needs schools out there too.

Wrong thread for the discussion but good luck.

@gcmom1 and @UCDProf Good luck to your daughters with the Hollins scholarship competition. My daughter was also admitted to Hollins, but she wasn’t asked to compete.

I understand the disappointment when a school where you could see your kid thriving doesn’t meet your expectations. That’s where we are with Knox today. Their application, supplemental arts audition, and financial aid process are all tied to the same date. Her admissions rep has been fantastic at trying to make things work out, but they’ve cancelled two in-person visits/auditions. She eventually submitted her supplements online and and did a zoom interview. Except, it wasn’t with the department. They passed it off to her admissions rep.

She left this morning for college visit road trip. Knox is on the way to the final destination, so they stopped to look around (campus is virtual this week due to Covid). My husband texted that she’s underwhelmed. I get it.

3 Likes

Ok folks, I’ve got something I need to get off my chest. Buckle up, it’ll probably be long because I’ve never been known as one to say something in few words.

I’ve been on CC since probably around 2015 or 16 when I dove early and head first into figuring out this college thing for my older D18. It was (and still can be) a place of collective wisdom, knowledge, and support. I learned A LOT, I’m sure everyone reading this did as well on first visit. Overall the tone here was helpful, supportive, and “we’re all in this together.” Sure you had some outliers, people who came off harsher than they probably intended due to the text-based nature of the interactions, and even grumpy folks, but in general a solid, good community. The most wholesome place on the forums though was the Parents of 20XX communities, however. There, parents of kids graduating in those years could find people who were going through the same thing, at the same time, commiserate losses, share successes, and just provide a community of support together. The sister communities Parents of 20XX 3.0-3.4 were smaller but an even more wholesome place for support, community, and connection for parents with students whose academic record wasn’t perfect, and some who were aiming for big merit at schools those kids were aiming for. All around, very supportive environments for those parents, and rarely, if ever a post from anyone who wasn’t a parent of a student(or sometimes a rare student themselves) in that class. If so those posts were usually of the cheerleading sort, and just once or twice. These days, and maybe it’s a bit pandemic related, IDK, but I’ve noticed the forums in general are less hospitable, people ask their questions and arguments develop, people nitpick posters to absolute death about the most insignificant detail of their profiles, it’s a jungle out there, and I confine myself to here, and to a much lesser extent the other 2022 parent thread.

But in past months, I noticed on the main 2022 parent thread, some discussions have taken a turn in a direction that is less than supportive, more similar in style to what you would see elsewhere in the forum, and very often posters that are shifting the tone aren’t even parents of 2022 kids, and they are dominating the conversation. I don’t really post much over there and I was sad to see it happen but the tone of that thread in general is different from this one. But I’m starting to see it here and I have to speak up because I feel like it stifles our supportive environment. I know there are many of us here who have older kids who’ve been around a bit so I’m sure I’m not the only one who noticed this shift.

Obviously, this is an open forum, where anyone can read and post, however, there is an unwritten courtesy that the Parents of Class 20XX threads are for those parents. If we want other forum advice, we know where to ask for it. If we feel a question is too broad or derailing discussion, we can and have, gently guided people on finding the larger forum to post in for extra advice. This is not a place for random forum posters to give out whatever advice they’ve gleaned though their experience in prior years, or elsewhere, or whatever, there’s literally a whole forum with many, many threads for that. This is a specific place for Parents of HS Class 2022 with imperfect GPAs to seek advice and support from each other, all others, please feel free to read as you like, but keep your responses to the absolute bare minimum. Let’s work together to keep this place the best place on CC. :heart:

That’s it, that’s my soapbox. 22ers you know who you are, I love you all, but I couldn’t sit by and watch as some of you got smacked in a place that’s supposed to be safe for you. We all come to this process from different places, but we cheer for each other, and we all have the same goal: getting a good fit for our kids next year. I hope we can continue to be the supportive place we started out as.

28 Likes

Now back to regular forum discussion! We’re working on planning winter/spring college visits as well. Where is your D heading on her visits @Juno22 ? I’m sorry about her lackluster experience with Knox. We’ve had a hard time trying to evaluate schools that are more COVID strict as well because while we like that aspect, it makes it hard for us to see what we need to see.

For us right now it looks like we’ll hit Cornell College (IA) in Feb, which will satisfy my desire to get her to a cold place in cold months, and Knox and Hendrix over spring break. I’m torn because we’re going to do an official Admitted Student day at Cornell but the others will probably just get regular visits, and I’m not sure how I feel about that.

6 Likes

I agree. Also, I’d like to advocate for patiences for parents who get frustrated and vent and might post something less cheery. The pressure to make sure we help our kids land in a good college experience feels like our last big task as parents. We don’t want to let our kids down. And when we feel like our kids have extra hurtles - less than perfect GPAs, finances, whatever - that pressure mounts and frustration with a system that can feel like it’s against us can lead to venting/ranting. I think this forum is at its best when it lends a kind ear even when things aren’t going our way during the college process.

6 Likes

February is audition season for theater, so she’s headed to Ball State, Otterbein, Baldwin Wallace, and Ohio Northern. This week she is at Truman State and Stephens College. She’ll also audition at Michigan State and sit in on a class at Oakland University, which are local for us. If she doesn’t fall in love or get a financial offer we can’t refuse, we will head to Hollins and Western Carolina in early March.

Thanks @Sweetgum for the Western Carolina information. The price is workable and their theater program has a major that might be a good fit, plus she loved their “why theater” prompt. She’s looking for a strong, passionate, artsy vibe though. Sounds like your daughter found just what she wanted at WW. Congrats!

6 Likes

Aw, thanks for the kind words. Happy to help. I don’t know that much about WCU, just vague impressions, but the tuition is a good deal.

Just in case you need to add any more schools to your list, for artsy in-state North Carolina schools (besides the highly regarded UNC-School of the Arts), you might check out UNC-Greensboro and UNC-Asheville. UNC-G has a long standing well-regarded theater program as well as music and visual arts. Alums have gone on to Broadway and Hollywood. Very diverse school with plenty of other practical majors like nursing and business too. UNC-A is much smaller and touts itself as a LAC. Ultra artsy vibe around Asheville. I don’t know anything about the theater program at UNC-A in and of itself, though.

Hollins seems like they have good opportunities for theater. When we went in the fall for our visit our tour guide was a theater kid and she seemed really happy with the opportunities.

One last mention, if your daughter is specifically interested in Shakespeare, Mary Baldwin in Staunton, Virginia has a great 4+1 undergrad/masters program in Shakespeare. It is home to the Blackfriars theater/American Shakespeare Theater. We have a friend burning through that program. I adore the town of Staunton, too. MBU just wasn’t a great fit for my D22’s major.

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: for the auditions! D22 was a theater kid until COVID shut everything down. One of her best friends is planning on majoring in theater, musical theater I think. My D22 enjoys acting, but not interested in singing, and really just a hobby for her, but she might do some at WWC. Her friend has been accepted to Pace in NY already (think there wasn’t an audition?) and he just submitted a bunch of video auditions this past weekend to other schools. Break a leg to your D22 and all those auditioning!

And fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: for all the other 2022ers out there, too!

1 Like

S also sent a recorded audition to Knox. What instrument does your D play? What specifically did she dislike about the campus?

1 Like

More schools, nooo! I’m kidding. Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions. That Mary Baldwin program sounds great for the right kid - mine is too all over the map to commit to Shakespeare, even with modern adaptations. Same thing with UNCSA being a conservatory. UNC-G looked really good to her, but she saw them at an early audition and didn’t get called back.

Hollins does seem to offer a lot for theater considering their size. My daughter would kill to get a theater major as a tour guide. She texted me from Truman State today, “I got a biology bro, isn’t there an English major available??” She did get to explore the costume shop, so that made her happy.

Break a leg to your daughter’s theater friends. Many of the bigger auditions converted to online last week. It’s a lot of work to send all those videos, especially dance for MT. An alum from my daughter’s high school graduated from Pace last year and booked a touring company role right away. Great school! He visited the high school drama class on his way through town. He loved being surrounded by all kinds of talented artists at Pace.

2 Likes