Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Oh well forensics, heck, WVU is one of the best places, as you know.

Has she visited? Oct. 22 and Nov. 5 are Discover WVU days, and we did one of those and found it very well done - better than any other college tour we did that year. It sealed the deal on applying for my kid.

Info here:

I know that WVU will be more than happy to set up individual interviews and tours on specific majors, so again, I know she’s pushing back against the following-in-footsteps thing, but if you went to the Discover WVU day and had personal interviews set up, the whole experience might really help.

You could go there early Friday, do personal interviews with profs etc., maybe take a hike out at Coopers Rock, then do the Discover WVU event on the Saturday. Her stats would definitely get her into the Honors College, which has its own dorm (and it’s on the Discover WVU tour).

I did a really long review of WVU just recently:

As to other schools, I did research USF; it’s only about $30k for OOS. And it has an $18k scholarship for stats that would totally be reachable for your D.
LSU Ogden Honors College is well-regarded and entry threshold is a 3.5 GPA/ 30ACT.
Ol’ Miss scholarships are also in reach, and of course you know she’ll get auto-merit at Bama.

I would just say on the prestige thing, my D felt this pressure immensely, as she went to a private school where classmates went on to Ivies and top LACs etc. She took a long while to realize that her full-tuition scholarship puts her in a sweet financial position, post-college, with only one $5,500 student loan. And, as I said in the review linked above, she has gotten the full range of skills and resume enhancements and networking from attending WVU. The rest is up to her; prestige doesn’t matter one whit in that calculation.

2 Likes