Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

oh man. i think its going to be hit or miss for us with her small school! there is one AP class she can take that’s left. (ap lang I think). she wants to take the dual credit chemistry class - she likes that teacher who teaches physic now.

just reflecting on her HS years: we switched the day before school started fall 2020. Our large urban low SES school went remote and she told us how unmotivated that made her feel. Being at a small private school has been interesting and mostly good. The number of higher classes is very limited; but the old school had a dismal AP pass rate. What’s better? :woman_shrugging:t3: she’s had her share of mean girls; but i think she’s also experienced community in a completely different way than her old, slightly transient school. One more year to go!

nice job to your daughter over all, @1923girls 1923 girls! well done

Posted this on the music thread, always open to input. Got to narrow down the 30.

Music makes him most happy but he is worried about financially supporting himself. He’s considering music ed as a major. Vocally, he is a male bass. He plays flute quite well and has some beginner piano and guitar skills. His voice teacher says he could get some scholarships for voice talent (and she doesn’t tell that to everyone) but he knows he is not the best. He is realistic with his talents.

I would likely need overall cost to stay under 25k a year. He has 1-2 instate public options that he could academically be accepted to and we are aware of the cultures there so I’m not listing them. (We are on IL/WI border).

Due to some possible tuition remission and other options, below is the long list of possible schools for him to look at that might be financially possible. (again looking to stay under 25k and gpa is only 3.4 so must consider academic admission). I would expect his ACT to be around 29/30 per practice tests.

What he would like: Positive student vibe, good school spirit (football team a plus but not likely required, he plays on a high level football team now), decent town area for part time work prospects, outdoor activities (he skis and loves lakes/oceans). Solid opportunities for “singing with fun people” (he will have done musicals for 8 yrs but doesnt want MT major). Esports would be a plus as thats a high interest of his as well. Good major selection beyond music ed if he changes his mind.

What he would not like: Academically cutthroat environment. Snobby music majors. Overly conservative student body. He is unsure if he would be okay with urban, does like more suburban, but would likely not like too rural.

Now the list: Does anyone have any opinions of colleges on the list and how they may fit into his preferences? What’s the vibe check?
(These are not in any particular order of preference-just cut and pasted from my files which auto numbered them).

1. [Gonzaga]
  2. [Xavier]
  3. Loyola-New Orleans
  4. Stetson (FL)
  5. Jacksonville U (FL)
  6. U of North Florida
  7. U of Redlands (CA)
  8. U of Puget Sound (WA)
  9. Roanoke (VA)
  10. Salve Regina (RI)
  11. Lawrence (WI)
  12. Shenandoah (VA)
  13. U of Pacific (CA)
  14. University of Hartford (CT)
  15. Gustavus Adolphus (MN)
  16. U of St. Thomas (MN)
  17. Baldwin Wallace (OH)
  18. Western Colorado (CO)
  19. Pacific Lutheran (WA)
  20. Augustana (SD)
  21. Oklahoma City U.
  22. College of Wooster (OH)
  23. [DePaul]
  24. [Syracuse]
  25. Western Carolina U
  26. U of Minn-Twin Cities
  27. Northern Arizona U
  28. U of Arizona
  29. Western Michigan
2 Likes

Well, well, well, so it turns out that college marketing emails work.

As those of you who have been on here for a while may recall, my D23 has had a longish shortlist (about a dozen colleges) for a couple years now, with only a few changes around the edges in the meantime (mainly knocking a couple off after touring).

Well, for context she hates going through email and postcards from colleges, but I do make her sit down and go through what’s come in every couple weeks. Most of them come from colleges in areas that aren’t sunny enough for her or that we know don’t have anything in her field so she can just flip past them, and while occasionally she’ll take a couple minutes extra to look at one mostly it’s just her imagining how much more fun the emails and postcards would have been if she’d entered her first name as {an impolite word that almost certainly wouldn’t be allowed on this forum, but it starts with a B} so that they’d all be greeting her by that name.

This time, though, one of the emails came from Savannah College of Art & Design (I think it was the first one she’s gotten from them), and it said that they had a number of new majors. She clicked through, and one of them was not their sound design major (they’ve had that for a long time), but she took a minute to look at their curriculum and very much liked the structure of the major.

As an academic I have some serious concerns with SCAD’s administrative governance structure, and there’s no way we’d send her there without a decent academic scholarship (which they have, but not very many), but hey, this may be the first college added to her list of possibilities in at least two years, so that’s an interesting thing.

12 Likes

My mom retired from the University of Arizona and it is an amazing school. My daughter would have applied there if we had not moved to the East Coast. It has one of the best music programs in Arizona and is extremely diverse. It doesn’t seem too cutthroat, its a huge sports school so basically the entire city shuts down for big games. It is really steeped in tradition and the local community in Tucson where it’s basically a lot of retirees and the school.
Arizona is known for giving out good aid to out of state students but it has decreased some over the years.

2 Likes

From @2plustrio’s list:

Loyola-New Orleans

• Toured this one last summer. D23 loved New Orleans (though she’s kind of paranoid about hurricanes), and kind of loved the school…but the size (both in number of students and even more the size of the campus) led her to ultimately striking it from her list. For someone who wants a small-school feel, though, I think it could be great. (Also, Tulane is literally next door, providing a wider range of college kids to socialize with. I have a colleague who went to Tulane undergrad, and says that Loyno students were kind of prized in Tulane social circles, because they were all artsier and cooler than the Tulane students.)

Salve Regina (RI)

• Didn’t tour, but D23 gets a lot of promotional material from them and all of the photos look absolutely amazing.

U of St. Thomas (MN)

• Toured with my older two five years ago, so impressions may be outdated, but: Looks to be an up and coming college. A lot of people say their physical plant is horrible, but those seem to be from before they had an incredibly wealthy couple donate lots and lots of money to the school, which them went on a building binge, and the new infrastructure is really nice. There is a significant road running through campus, making the humanities and science sides seem quite separate from each other. Lots of purple in building interiors, though, so if you don’t like purple, probably not your place!:grin:

Pacific Lutheran (WA)

• No actual experience, but they recruit a lot of students from Anchorage—it’s one of the “default” (so to speak) lower-48 destinations for Alaska kids who leave the state for college.

U of Minn-Twin Cities

• Another one I toured five years ago. Big school, lots of resources, large campus, this one definitely checks the “school spirit” box. Not as urban-feeling as you might expect, given its location on the map.
1 Like

We just finalized course requests tonight so it was fun to login and see all these updates!
D23 hopes to take:
Yearlong: AP Calc BC, AP Physics C +lab, and AP Statistics

Fall: Creative Writing, Dramatic Literature, Advanced Ceramics,
Plus 2 required seminars that meet 1x per week: College planning seminar #2 and Research seminar ( f/u and presentations on summer research projects)

Spring: Botany +lab and AP Psych

I’d love for her to drop one of her fall classes as I’m worried about the workload of college apps and essays but she wants to try and take them all so we’ll see how it goes!

She’s taking college seminar #1 right now and I LOVE it. Wish my oldest had had something similar! They are working in Scoir and have assignments each week to help define what they want out of a college. Last week they had to rank a list of attributes (size, cost, major, sports etc) and this week they had to add 3 colleges to Scoir and be able to explain why they are a good fit. It’s definitely gotten her wheels turning and already prompted several disussions about what she is currently thinking.

3 Likes

Visits reports:

Current junior, so far:

Swarthmore - off the list, though perhaps more due to her preexisting view of it as being overly intense than anything we saw on the visit. Gorgeous campus, convenient to Philly. D didn’t like the honors program which she thought created pressure and two tiers of students within a very small school. Just generally didn’t vibe there.

UPenn - way up - our first larger school and first urban school. Did seem a bit impersonal and more sink or swim then the LACs we have been visiting (tour guide mentioned connecting with his advisor once per term by email) but she was very energized by all the amazing facilities, kids that she found very smart but more down to earth than those at other Ivies she visited and really like the campus within the city. Of course getting in, especially without playing the ED card, is another story… still opens up other bigger and urban schools as possibilities.

UC Santa Cruz. Probably not a fair visit as we self toured over winter break when almost no students were on campus so very difficult to get any vibe. The location is beyond gorgeous- you literally walk through groves of redwood trees with occasional distant views of the Pacific. On the other hand a very spread out campus - students bike or shuttle between the buildings - very different from bucolic New England campuses we have been visiting and the wear and tear also makes it clear that this isn’t a school with a gazillion dollar endowment like the New England privates. Because of its unique strength in astronomy will stay on the list as a safety and if needed we will look into it more…

Wesleyan - Still on the list. D loved the open curriculum, the clever housing system, the progressive vibe that seemed to be lived and not just for show (everyone introduced themselves with their pronouns, lots of focus on social issues, etc) and the kids who seems very bright and intellectually curious and interesting without being over intense or overly single academically minded — everyone seems in a lot of interesting activities and time for fun. The negatives are that the presentation was completely non-STEM focused (with bizarre comments like - ‘woo hoo you never have to take math again!” And similar even from AO. She did the tour with a guide who was a math/earth sciences double major who alleviated her concern that it wasn’t a place for stem kids to some extent but not fully. The other negative is the location - truly in the middle of nowhere and the town is not at all interesting other for a very small and pretty standard strip of studenty coffee shops and similar. Overall she will apply and thinks she could be happy there both academically and socially.

Princeton - off the list - tour left d somewhat cold - lots of talk about how many Nobels the faculty members, strong feeling of privilege - despite the fact that our actual guide was a first gen kid from economic hardship situation! It is obviously an amazing school but d doesn’t need more super reaches, she will take a moonshot on some but nothing about this visit changed her mind that it wouldn’t be Princeton.

Haverford - down/possibly off - d has generally liked the small quirky schools but this just seemed too small and too quirky. It is almost the size of a large high school, and d found our tour guide to have a “weird vibe” (?). She did like the social activist energy and the ability to participate in research. But ultimately think she wants something at least somewhat bigger.

Amherst - shot up, she really loved it. The info session was a snooze but she loved the tour and the tour guide (crazy how much that matters) who was a double major in a science and humanities which is something d may be interested in. She also got the vibe of friendly and engaged and enthusiastic students that worked hard but also enjoy themselves and have time to do various activities, social stuff etc which is what she is looking for. The two concerns of course are the insane difficulty of getting in and that most students were pretty conventional in presentation - my d is significantly edgier in appearance and doesn’t want to be viewed as “out there”.

Mount Holyoke - moved down significantly- perhaps this is unfair as we self toured which is very different from having a student guide and the campus is very beautiful and serene but for whatever reason the campus seemed very dead - we saw very few students around (on a beautiful Saturday afternoon) and the ones we saw (though dressed like my d - lol) seemed kind of glum and unfriendly. In any case between that and the fact that d is having second thoughts about applying to women’s colleges, MH is still on the list but barely hanging on.

If we are also retelling tours in past year, here is a summary of a mid Atlantic/Boston tour we did with an extremely picky science-focused older daughter a few years ago:

Princeton - got ruled out, the wealthy suburban setting reminded her too much of home, it was miserably rainy, and the senior year and junior year thesis requirements stressed her out just hearing about them - she is a stem kid and wanted to avoid more writing (she wouldn’t have gotten in anyway);

Boston College - way up, she liked the setting and the kids, liked the science presentations, liked the location.

Tufts - hated it for no good reason, I really liked it. Something about the setting and she thought the kids all seemed defensive about not being in the Ivies (unlike BC where she thought the kids seemed like they wanted to be there).

UPenn - ruled out, liked the mix of kids and academic strength and amazing science offerings,but really didn’t like the urban setting

Swarthmore - didn’t like at all, too small, and reminded her very much of her high school in “overly intellectual/very competitive/too serious” vibe. I thought it was great, but there you go.

UVA - ruled out, put off by the vibe, seemed provincial (the tour guide seemed very surprised to have someone from New England on the tour), very white, and had weird traditions and adoration of the Founding fathers that rubbed her the wrong way.

Georgetown- loved everything about it, the perfect not too big and not too small size, the kids, the adorable and historic town, the nearness to DC, the excellent and extremely well funded but not insanely competitive science departments. Yep that is where she ended up and loved every minute…

15 Likes

Wow - I missed a lot…ups and downs. Prayers to those who need them.

Not much to report here - S23 finds out updated rank Friday - holding our breaths due to last semester being rock bottom for him (in HS at least). He seems to be holding on this semester but there are 2 classes he has to work a little harder in and they are teetering on edge again. He is already registered for Senior year - taking only 2 AP classes (his pathway is comp sci/engineering - they only offer one AP - Comp Sci 1): AP Calc BC (he’s currently in AP Calc AB), AP Chemistry, Adv Comp Sci 3, Engineering Design 2 (this is a 2 hour course), Eng 4, US History/Economics (these are 1 semester each).

He is also tutoring for SAT on Saturdays until the 3/2 school district provided SAT date.

He did get invite to NHS but they asked for a letter of recommendation from someone NOT working in school district and NOT in family. Um - do they remember that last 2 years have been pandemic mode? He hasn’t exactly had any social life at all…he’s the one that tinkers in his room working on coding, 3D printing, and building things (computers and other electronic stuff). So he was upset that he couldn’t think of anyone outside of school or family that could attest to his character.

As far as college goes, he has told me that he does not want to go mainstream so we are touring these 4 schools in April (Easter weekend):

Missouri Science & Technology
University of Tulsa
Wichita State
Texas Tech

My older two went to TAMU (one graduated last May and the other is a junior - more likely a sophomore since he changed majors completely in different direction). The etam for engineering doesn’t appeal to S23 so he wrote it off (also size of school doesn’t appeal to him either). UT is a reach school (and too large), and the other Texas schools doesn’t appeal to him either - texas tech is only one he will look at. He may add UH - he’s going to a Space Ops Career day @ UH-Clearlake next month. At this point, I’m just happy he’s looking at schools.

11 Likes

@dfbdfb A good friend’s daughter is a freshman at SCAD and is thus far having a very good experience. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the school and I can ask them about it.

1 Like

I know someone whose child is on swim team at SCAD. Seems like they love it.

College visits pretty much lined up for our spring break trip: Duke, UNC, Columbia, Princeton. Uva and Harvard not available. S23 still thinking of adding one or two more schools. Will also stop in at UPenn to hang out with a friend even though that’s not on his list.

Very busy junior year has gotten busier with basketball season, but he seems to be handling things well.

5 Likes

@dfbdfb

Interesting that you say Pacific Lutheran gets many Alaska kids because just from promotional materials I have seen I have gotten that vibe as well. Could be a pro or con for my kid.

As for Salve, yes, my daughter says it looks like Hogwarts in the photos! The proximity to the ocean could be a big plus for my son.

Speaking of senior year class selection, had to laugh.

S23 who didn’t turn in his choices met with GC face to face. Somehow mom who “knows nothing” actually did recommend the very classes he choose with his GC.

Hes taking 1 core class (english) and the rest are electives that interest him including music, auto repair, leadership, and a work internship.

9 Likes

Must be national Scheduling week! S23 taking

AP Calc BC
Honors English 4
AP Physics - Mech
Honors Latin 4
AP Statistics
Honors Religion
Intro to Western Philopsophy

Planning a Boston college tour for spring break.

5 Likes

Senior year course selections are done!

Both twins will be taking the required graduation govt & econ classes over the summer via dual credit at our partnered community college so that they can lighten their load for Senior Year.

12th grade classes:

Thing 1:
Dual Credit Eng 4
AP Calc AB
Marching Band
Comp Sci

AP Physics 1
Band
AP Calc BC
Senior Off

Thing 2:
Dual Credit Eng 4
AP Calc AB
Band Aid (will be an assistant for the band directors in a beginning band class)
Marching Band

AP Calc BC
Band
Comp Sci
Senior Off

So again, accelerated block scheduling so only 4 classes a semester. I’m totally ok with both having Senior Off and Thing 2 taking an aid position instead of adding another academic class. They have both maxed out their course vigor and maintained their top 10% class rank, they deserve an easier Senior Year. Neither is applying to any Ivy League or T10/T20 schools…or heck, even wanting to go out of state lol. For our high school, this schedule isn’t going to keep them from getting top merit aid at any of the schools their applying to.

4 Likes

Just an FYI for anyone planning a spring break trip. Seems like there has been a big increase in people scheduling over the past week, and I’m starting to see some days/times completely booked. Would suggest reserving soon if you have any must see on your list

3 Likes

@dfbdfb , my 2017 HS grad daughter got a decent merit scholarship from SCAD. It was her safety, as a Theater student. They have rolling admissions which IMO is so nice to have one early answer in. (She did not attend, she went to LMU).
@JaceyK , what about a neighbor, anyone from church if you have that, or even a family friend or friend of yours, or parent of one of his friends? Surely there are people who know him outside of school and family. Even if he needs to have a little “re-getting to know you talk” before they write the letter. I think so many students are in the same boat as yours with the pandemic and it should be understood even if you have to send in a weak-ish connection.

2 Likes

D23 is taking 5 APs this year (which I disagreed with but ultimately let her make her own bed). The problem is, now that we’re looking at senior year choices, is that we’re worried she can’t totally back off from the AP train without the possibility of colleges thinking she’s slacking her senior year.

Does anyone know how AOs would look at 5 (successful) APs in junior year and then 3 her senior year? (And yes, our school offers A LOT of AP. She could definitely take five or six her senior year.) She wants to be a liberal arts/ social science major, if that matters.

2 Likes

Does the etam apply if a student applies direct to TAMU Galveston engineering? We’re full of Sea Ags in our family and they’re the only “branch” campus that gets TAMU rings and diplomas but you get the smaller campus experience. I recommend it a lot if someone would like Galveston.

1 Like