Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Cleveland is a great little city and Case is in a wonderful area near museums and Little Italy.

1 Like

@AmyIzzy my son is a freshman at Xavier. We are from MD, so eight hours away. He has a few LDs and his stats/resume were not the superstar kids whose parents typically post on CC. I think he took maybe 1-2 Honors courses and no APs, but had a decent GPA of 3.4. Nothing remarkable in terms of ECs thx to Covid, but played sports, had a part time job, but no awards/leadership roles in high school. Heā€™s not a good SAT/ACT test taker due to his LD, so our college search focused on test optional schools. I do think, tho I didnā€™t see them, that he probably had strong recommendations.

Iā€™m sharing his background b/c we were not expecting much, if any, merit money. We were pleasantly surprised that he got into all the schools he applied to and received generous merit for all. I donā€™t remember exactly what Xavier gave him, but we are basically paying a couple thousand more than what our instate flagship costs. I think his merit was around $25K plus he got some grants for doing things like attending the accepted students day, etc. And Xavier is a less expensive university than the other Jesuit/Catholic schools he applied to like Fairfield, St, Joeā€™s, Loyola and Dayton.

He narrowed his acceptances down to Xavier and Dayton, in the end decided on Xavier as he thought Cincinnati was not only a livelier city but would also provide more internship opportunities. He loves it, and this is a kid I was worried might have a tough time adjusting, both socially and academically. Fortunately, he is doing well.

And speaking of $$, just today he sent me a text - he found out today he won $1K scholarship for next year simply for attending some sort of event and speaking about his experiences at Xavier so far (floored me he did this b/c he hates public speaking!).

I have no personal experience with CWU, but my father is from Cleveland and my sister went to JCU. She has lived in Cleveland since graduating. Cleveland gets a bad rap sometimes, but she and her family love it there. She lives on the east side just a couple of miles from CWU - nice area of Cleveland.

Happy to speak more via PM if you have any questions.

11 Likes

Thanks for the info on Xavier. I like it as a closer to home option for my son! (We live in OH).
I feel like I donā€™t hear much about Xavier here, maybe because there are a LOT of options in Ohio, and OSU, U of Cinci and Miami of Ohio seem to be by far the most popular/mainstream choices. That said, Iā€™m a huge fan of Jesuit schools and mid sized schools and of finding the right school for the kidā€¦not the most popular or prestigious choice.

Case Western has an excellent reputation. Cleveland does not (nationally), but, part of that is historic (losing industry), and bad public school systems. I know 2plustrioā€™s son is into music and Cleveland has a really nice theater district and decent arts. Cincinnati is a great city too. The 3 Cs of Ohio (Cleve, Cinci, Columbus) all have their own different look and vibe. I would also throw Pittsburgh into the mix for a student who wants to be in a city in this areaā€¦which is also its own unique flavor from the Ohio cities, and several colleges to choose from.

3 Likes

My son (and us) really enjoyed our Xavier tour. Glad your child is thriving there.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Xavier! I have heard great things and it sounds like they value a variety of strengths and talents students bring to the campus, which I love! Some seem to want all students to fit into one box. I have been a special education teacher for 30 years, working with mostly LD kids and, not to overgeneralize, but they truly are amazing students and adults. They have to work so hard to overcome challenges and become better people because of it IMO. I can almost guarantee his references were glowing (I have written some heartfelt ones over the years) as he sounds like an incredible young man. Itā€™s great he goes to a school that encourages him to get out of his comfort zone, even with public speaking! Wow! We are hoping for a school that values diversity on many levels. Appreciate you sharing this!

2 Likes

Can you speak to any major differences between Cincinatti and Cleveland? I have only visited both briefly. Loved the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame! I think Cleveland is a lot like Buffalo. Weā€™ve had a rough reputation at times but we have spirit and pride and are building up the city-and our reputation-in great ways again. Would love to hear more about both cities if you or anyone else here has some insight.

1 Like

We are fond of Jesuit schools too. My daughter attends Loyola New Orleans and Fordham is on my sonā€™s list (the president of Loyola New Orleans was just appointed president of Fordham and we love her!)

Lived in the Cleveland area for 17 years but only have briefly visited Cinci so hard for me to compare and contrast.

All I can say is that Iā€™m from the northeast and my expectations of Cleveland were low and we ended up being so pleasantly surprised. Arts, culture, great foodie scene, sports, beaches, and amazing state and national parks. It has it all. Itā€™s bad reputation is way in the rear view mirror.

2 Likes

I would agree with those thoughts about Cleveland/Buffaloā€¦kind of a northern, rust belt look and culture that Cincinnati does not seem to have. Cinci seems more metropolitan and modern, and has some urban campuses. Cleveland seems older and more industrial. Cleveland has the lake of course, and much more snow. Cinci temps will be a bit milder, but not nearly as many days with snowā€¦ice is more common there. Both have good arts and sports.

Jesuit schools: My older daughter graduated from Loyola Marymount University, and my dad was a graduate of John Carroll. We did a walk-through of Fordham with my older son, but he decided NYC life was not for him (Loyola Chicago was his #2 choice, but he ultimately chose Elon). I would love for my S23 to end up at a Jesuit school, such as Xavier or LeMoyne. S23 will not have the same choices as his siblings due to academic struggles, if he even decides to go to college, but thatā€™s OK!

1 Like

So much love for Jesuit schools on this thread! @TS0104 my father is also a very proud JCU alum, and very active with their alumni board (wonder if they were there at same time!). @AmyIzzy I am a Fordham grad. My oldest had Fordham at the top of her list but got a lot more merit $ from Univ of San Diego, which is Catholic but not Jesuit (@TS0104 she applied to LMU as well but her major was new there so she opted for USD instead).

D23 also has Fordham on her list. @AmyIzzy Iā€™m glad to hear you like the new President, as I donā€™t know much about her. Funny, but Xavier has a newly installed female President this year and my older sonā€™s school also just appointed a new (male) President this year as well!

D23 is mostly looking at more urban schools so we are planning to visit NY and Boston during her spring break in April. She actually really wants to go abroad to the UK or Ireland, but she is still trying to narrow down her list.

2 Likes

AmyIzzy, could you say more about what you like about the president of Loyola New Orleans? My kid is strongly considering Fordham LC. Wants NY and out of midwest. Artsy ā€œIBā€ type kid. Jesuit schools were not on our radar before this year. Also would be interested in the impressions of 4kids4us as an alum. Thanks in advance!

My father was also a very proud JCU grad; he helped fund that new (in 2010 maybe) science buildingā€¦I went to the groundbreaking with him, and he has a memorial garden at JCU. He passed away in 2012. It is possible that they knew each other I suppose!

In my daughterā€™s experience at LMU, I always felt that there was a very strong passion with the professors, and a level of connection and care, that I attributed to the Jesuit philosophy. My daughter developed very strong, helpful mentor relationships there. This seemed to trickle down to the students as well, from what I could tell from our tour and parentsā€™ weekend and Dā€™s friend interactions.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing your daughter is open to colleges in the UK and Ireland. She must be very independent and open to adventure. My son isnā€™t interested in a 4 year experience abroad but study abroad is a priority, preferably for a full year with full Spanish immersion.We are Catholic but attend mass at our local Newman Center, which is pretty progressive. My kids (and I) definitely have issues with some Catholic teachings but we are open to Catholic universities that focus on community service, helping the environment, and embracing all faiths. The Jesuit schools we are aware of seem to do just that. They make a point of saying that, while they encourage faith exploration through retreats and worship, nothing is pushed on the students and religion classes might be required but they offer classes like ā€œDeath and Dyingā€ and ā€œPrinciples of Buddhismā€ so a nice variety. My daughter took ā€œEcofeminismā€ as a religion class at Loyola New Orleans. I know the Honors program is really tough to get into at Fordham (think they take 20 students per year) but my son would love the format which is very philosophy and discussion-based.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that LeMoyne is pretty high on his list. We visited twice (first for a tour, then an open house) and it checks many boxes and he really liked the vibe. He wishes it was more diverse but seems they are working on that. Heā€™s also looking for an urban setting. Syracuse isnā€™t exactly NYC but he just wants to be somewhere that isnā€™t ā€œin the middle of nowhereā€ so it fits the bill.

President Tetlow is amazing. Her communication during hurricanes/weather emergencies and Covid was so reassuring and helpful, especially with being 19 hours away by car! We attended family weekend (right before Covid) and she chatted with us at length during the final breakfast. Just so personable, friendly and down to earth. She was a strong president in terms of the necessary aspects like finances, staffing and PR but itā€™s her personal touch and true care for the students that stands out the most. My daughter said a friend of hers had a tough transition to college, was dealing with some personal stuff and stopped going to class, was basically failing several classes around midterm time. President Tetlow heard about it from a concerned student or professor and personally invited him to her office to talk about what was going on and try to get him back on track. She always goes above and beyond. I thought Iā€™d share her letter announcing her resignation so you can get a sense of her background and character, figured this speaks for itself. Now I find myself pulling for Fordham for my son, would be a gift to have her as president of his college!

Dear Loyola,

I canā€™t quite describe how bittersweet this is for me. My time at Loyola has been the privilege of my life, to be part of helping the University emerge from its recent struggles and to build momentum that will continue to grow long after I am gone. My plan had been to stay at Loyola for as long as you would have me and to live in New Orleans for the rest of my life. When Fordham first called, I gave them a quick no. But I have spent much prayerful discernment deciding whether my responsibilities are to this institution and this city, or to Jesuit higher education and the world more broadly. As the problems of the world seem ever more urgent every day, I have decided it is the latter.

What we achieved together has given Loyola a momentum that not even a global pandemic or major hurricane could shake. The new programs and partnerships we created will increase resources for years to come. Our new technology systems will leap us ahead in efficiency and capacity. We have strong systems of financial responsibility and accountability. And we have attracted so much talent, from the cabinet to the deans and beyond.

Most of all, what I learned on my arrival is that Loyolaā€™s greatest strength is its culture. The passionate tenacity of faculty and staff focuses on what matters ā€“ teaching and serving our students. The Universityā€™s crisis awoke an entrepreneurial spirit that has made Loyola nimble and ambitious. It uncovered so much talent across the institution and invested in your ideas.

I know that this Board of Trustees will choose a successor deserving of you, someone who leads in the Ignatian way ā€“ with warmth and compassion. In the meantime, I am happy to tell you that they have chosen Fr. Justin Daffron, S.J., vice president of mission and identity, who has long and broad experience in higher education administration, to serve as interim president next year. He has been my thought partner on much of our strategy and the one who molds our cabinet together as a team.

I was born in New York after my parents met as Fordham graduate students, but I was raised in New Orleans and on Loyolaā€™s campus. This community has shaped me in more ways that I can ever know. This is, and always will be, my home.

I know it is a much overused line, but the reason Shakespeare described parting as ā€œsuch sweet sorrowā€ is that it makes you appreciate the depths of your love. I love you all very much.

Prayers and Blessings,

Tania Tetlow
President

2 Likes

Hi, have been lurking on this thread and thought I should finally surface. I have really enjoyed these posts, and I have so much respect for you all.

Posted elsewhere about junior woes with my D23 & thought Iā€™d share a few things, in no particular order.

• DH and I are old parents. This is a benefit to our kids (we tell them that, anyway) but exhausting for us.

• D23 has chosen to apply only to stand-alone art schools. For a variety of reasons, DH and I support this, but itā€™s a tough mental adjustment for us. We are alums of Vassar, Cornell (grad), and Columbia (grad), and our parents would flat-out have dismissed art school as a waste of $$$. Interestingly, the surviving grandparents are 100% on-board with DDā€™s choice, soā€¦ huhā€¦ :thinking: GPs are more open now, to alternative choices. Itā€™s my struggle, I guess, regarding ā€œvalue,ā€ which is not something you really can put a finger on until far into the future. As alum reps we are asked all the time about the ā€œvalueā€ of the name schools we attended. Truthfully, there is value in any choice that is student-centered. Thatā€™s where I net out.

• Iā€™m retired from an entirely unrelated field, but decided to take a sub job at DDā€™s high school this year, since staffing was so hard-hit by the pandemic. Her younger sibs will go there as well, so I felt it was my duty to step in and help fill the gaps. I feel like a spy, TBH. Parents have NO IDEA what goes on in an average suburban high school. I certainly didnā€™t, anyway.

While we may think our juniors are not fully baked, I see first-hand that they benefitted mightily from a normal middle school experience. The 9th graders in our school have a high rate of truency/skipping because they still have not acclimated to all-day, in-person learning.

I also think mental health struggles bubbled to the surface very quickly for our class. As a group, I suspect we '23 parents were more likely to have sought professional help (counseling, therapy, medication) for our kids than in the past. Our town is very conservative and relentlessly ā€œpositiveā€, and Iā€™ve noticed a real shift in families speaking openly about and prioritizing social and emotional wellness over temporary achievements.

I like to think that this means our kids ā€“ the class of '23 ā€“ may be better prepared for life after HS. Maybe they are dealing with some :poop: now that prior years didnā€™t confront until collegeā€¦?

Hugs to you all. This is tough. :heart:

20 Likes

Thank you for the detailed explanation! She sounds like a great leader.

2 Likes

Day 2 of meds for adhd. I might have my kid back!
Heā€™s at his dads for the weekend but hes called me 2 days in a row and had mature, really insightful comments that he wanted to tell me about. Heā€™s feeling clearer and more motivated. I even got an ā€œI love you mom.ā€

Huge sigh of relief here. I know his dad is not on board with the meds but my son is and thats all that matters.

26 Likes

I legit teared up a little. Thank you for giving us the update, and gratitude to whatever motivating force you ascribe to the universe that thereā€™s more hope now.

7 Likes

Hello all. Been a while since Iā€™ve posted. Our oldest (HS class of 21) is now at Oberlin and very happy there. Now onto D23! A little background:

D23 is highly ambitious and self-driven - sheā€™s taking all honors or AP classes this year including double science (Bio and Chem) and double language (French IV and German III). She scored a 32 and a 33 on her two ACTs. Superscore is a 34. She will be taking again over the summer (her choice). Her goal is to score a 34 (or better).

She also does multiple ECs with the two most significant being MUN and athletics. She runs track (main sport) and cross country (to keep in shape in the off-season). She also runs with an AAU club over winter and summer. Sheā€™s pretty quick and could probably run at DIII schools - she received her first recruiting inquiry from a DIII school this week.

She wants to be pre-med in college with goal of becoming a Doctor. She has shadowed a neighbor who is a Doctor and will try to volunteer at the hospital this summer.

So far sheā€™s looking at quite ā€œprestigiousā€ national universities, which leads me to my two questions: First: Can you provide suggestions for additional schools which may be ā€œtargetsā€ or ā€œsafetiesā€?

Her initial list is:

• Georgetown
  • Emory
  • Penn
  • Columbia
  • Tufts
  • Brown
  • Dartmouth
  • Cornell

We (parents) have added two ā€œtarget schoolsā€:

• Case Western
  • Northeastern

Second question: D23 is convinced that she wants to go to a larger school and not a LAC. Are there any LACs that feel bigger? I saw a previous comment mentioning that, but I donā€™t know which ones do feel bigger.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like